“A crave-worthy and filling meal that's also a great value”
Review of So Kong Dong

So Kong Dong
Ranked #9 of 147 Restaurants in Fort Lee
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed December 31, 2011

So Kong Dong is a restaurant that I find myself continually going back to every time that I'm in town. The food is consistently tasty, and the prices are very reasonable, particularly for how full you'll be when you finish your meal.
Food: The menu options are limited (i.e., only soft tofu soup with various add-ins, such as clams, beef, mushroom, and seafood), but I've never been disappointed with any of the choices. Be aware that the seafood option comes with shrimp still in its shell (i.e., head and all), which needs to be peeled. The last time I went, I had the clam tofu soup, which had about 5 clams in it. The Kalbi beef is very tasty and tender and can easily be shared by the table. Like traditional Korean restaurants, they give you the little dishes to start, including kimchi, pickled cucumbers, and pickled bean sprouts. The wait service is always willing to refill any small dish.
Service: The service is generally very friendly but a little rushed, though I've never felt pressured to eat faster. The tables turn over very quickly, so I've never had to wait longer than 25 minutes, regardless of how many people were ahead of me in line. The waiter/waitress will ask you for your order shortly after you sit down, but most people already know what they want or can order on the spot since the menu doesn't offer much choice. Bear in mind that the tables are very close together, so you will be sitting quite near to your fellow diners.
Parking: There is limited parking in front of the restaurant, but the spots seem to turn over rather quickly, which is probably a testament to the speedy service. There also is a public parking lot across the street, which also fills up pretty quickly on weekends.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

I haven't had this good of tofu soup in a REALLY long time. The only one that comes close are ones in Southern California, but even a lot of them, don't have the savory flavors that exist in the broth from this place. The broth is key here, and So Kong Dong really does a GREAT job at it.

I came here along with Husband and 3 of his work colleagues for the recent Labor Day weekend. We arrived at around 6:15pm on a Friday evening, and it was already pretty busy. We had to wait or about 15 minutes, so it wasn't too bad. I appreciated the fact that you are able to place your order while you wait, so once you get your table, your food is ready to go. They are very efficient with time, and at a small place like this, it's the way to go. If you're looking for a place to shoot the breeze and just lounge around, chat, and eat, then I wouldn't recommend this place for that atmosphere. This place is just simple tofu soup and ribs. Get in and get out type of mindset. Just keep that in mind when you go.

Now, with all the hustle and bustle of the place and quick service set aside, the food is great. The banchan, in my opinion, were lackluster to a lot of other Korean places I've visited. The only one that i enjoyed was the bean sprouts. The kim chi wasn't aged enough, and didn't have enough pickle sour flavor. All the other dishes were bland and boring to me. The galbi had a decent flavor, but they were on the thin side and slightly overcooked. I'd pass on those next time.

Overall, a great evening of cheap, comfort food. The place isn't the cleanest, so make sure you keep your belongings close with you and watch where you sit and step.

With the tofu soups priced at $9 a bowl, and $15 for the galbi ribs, it's definitely an affordable place to have dinner or a late evening snack. Come here for the tofu soup, and leave everything else behind!

I'll definitely be returning to this place next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed June 11, 2010

Didn't like at all. Ribs are cheap beef with poor marinade. Soup is sloppy and hardly has any beef or seafood in it, just full of tofu and a gross tomato broth. Rice is the sticky kind, not a meal to get full on I feel like I need to eat something else. OH - that is all they have a few tofu soups and this horrible beef rib.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Saitama, Japan
Reviewed January 31, 2010

I love their Korean Tofu Soup.
Delicious and cheap.