“Awful Experience, average food, horrible service”
Review of Colonial Diner

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Colonial Diner
Ranked #27 of 53 Restaurants in Forked River
Cuisines: American
New Jersey
“Awful Experience, average food, horrible service”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I read the great reviews and thought I had found a hidden gem I had missed all these years. My guest and I went in a little after 4PM on a Thursday. We waited by the register for a few minutes before someone said to seat ourselves.

We then waited several minutes to get a menu, a few more minutes to get a sheet with the specials on it. This is a small place maybe 20 tables at the most and only a handful of tables had people at them. We were also near the front of the diner so the staff had to walk by our table all the time.

After 10 minutes or so of waiting for menus etc. it took another 5-10 minutes to place our drink order and then it was easily 15-20 minutes before we placed our dinner order.(and not because we weren't ready to order and didn't have the menus down)

The food came out in a reasonable amount of time and was your average diner food. The portions were what you would expect, no more and no less. We tried to catch the eye of our waitress who walked by us many times to get a refill on our drinks. It never happened.

I finished and waited for someone to clear my plates, I started to pile the plates after 10-15 minutes and after that I moved them to the other side of the table to make them even more visible. After another 5-10 minutes I started to think about just clearing my own dishes since I could see the dish bin from where I was sitting.

Finally our waitress comes over and we ask for a box. My companions meal came with dessert which he got to go so that we could try and get out of there without another 45 minutes going by. At this point I am fed up and wait at the register where I tell the cashier I am waiting for my check thinking this will speed things up.

It still took another 10 minutes or longer to get my check. I cannot stress enough what a small place this is. You can see the entire restaurant from pretty much anywhere so it's not like you are in a forgotten corner.
Plus there were two waitresses a cashier and some other woman who I'm not sure what her job was, although she is the one who eventually cleared my plate.

The diner was not full, it's not like they were being slammed with a dinner rush or anything. When I got in the car I saw we had been in there almost two hours!! TWO HOURS, I still can't believe it.

• Visited November 2011

Forked River, New Jersey
“Great For Breakfast and Reasonably Priced”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

The Colonial Diner has a quaint down home atmosphere and is meticulously clean. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. I particularly enjoy their breakfast /brunch menu. Management seems to take pride in their establishment and they go the extra mile to please their customers. A refreshing change of pace from the big chain restaurants.

• Visited January 2012
New Jersey
“A little gem in Forked River”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

If your ever in Forked River N.J. ;Please stop at this small diner and you will be surprised.
The food is delicious and the servings great.The owner and his mother have trained a great staff who always make you feel at home.
We go mostly for breakfast but dinner is also great with a small selection of authentic Greek dishes.
It's just off Lacey rd in a small shopping center

• Visited December 2011
New Jersey
“Breakfast, lunch & dinner!”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Great diner. Food is always good. Service is excellent. It needs some updating on the decor but for a good meal, go to Colonial. Family run.

• Visited August 2011
“Excellent meal at a reasonable Price”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Had the roast turkey dinner. Food was excellent, service was pleasant and quick, prices were reasonable.

Better food and value than other "water view restaurants" in the area. Definitely recommend eating here.