“First Rate Chinese Food, Especially Szechuan”
Review of China Chalet

China Chalet
Ranked #7 of 34 Restaurants in Florham Park
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have eaten several times at the China Chalet. The food has always been fresh and vibrant. While the Szechuan specialties are perhaps best, the more ordinary Chinese food such as pork dumplings is well executed but if your game, stick with the Szechuan or the unusual at least. If you are adventurous, Ox Tongue & Tripe in Peanut Vinaigrette, Razor Clam and Pesto Scallion, and Spicy Beef Tendon and Tripe are terrific appetizers. Szechuan lamb is as good as I've ever gotten. Fish, whether spicy or not, is well executed and balanced the Camphor Smoked Duck is smoky and flavorful. I like food spicy but if you don't, they will tone it down. Service is efficient, if a bit brusque. Portions are pretty large. Costs are higher than Chinatown but again, you save on the tolls. BTW, and this is usually a good sign, many of the dinners are Asian.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The food was awesome. Service was good, and the atmosphere was excellent. You can't go wrong here! Probably some of the best Chinese food in Morris and Sussex county. Some of the dishes are pretty spicy but they can make it mild if you request. Highly recommended!

Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

I have been to China Chalet a few times over the last several years as we have family in the area. Every time the service has been decent (at least attentive even if "abrupt" while smiling) and the food fantastic. I don't understand the complaints of other reviewers. The place is well known so prices have been creeping up but the food is still the same; amazing! Flavours are good and prominent. Fish fresh and delicious. If you think Chinese food only as a "cheap" cuisine then stick to noodles and fried chicken at a food court. Remember also that BYOB means you save money on drinks (a real impact on the final bill). Out bill for 10 people (2 kids) was $250 and we all ate like kings over 2+ hours on a Saturday night (place full). Practically the same price as the Olive Garden without drinks so perhaps that is a better choice for the complainers?

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I came with a couple of friends and their children to celebrate the Chinese new year. It has almost been a year since I ate at this restaurant and my previous review was not favorable. And this place disappointed me again. My friends were equally diappointed. In the end, it was a very expensive meal with little value. I can accept resturants charging a higher price for their food provided that the food is of higher quality, greater quantity, or both. We paid a steep price for a whole fish (it is a tradition to have fish for the new year) but was served a fish that appeared to be mal-nutritioned. The total bill for five people, including two underweighted children, was $150. And the food was okay. It was not delicious -- just acceptable. I know this place has been adjusting the price upward multiple times, evident from the fact that you see stickers with new prices over the menu. It will be a long time before I go back to this restaurant again. It used to deliver quality and sadly in my recent visits, I did not observe and experience that.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Fast service, fresh ingredients, BYO and huge portions. UK folks are used to different Chinese style however not to say this wasn't good. Great for larger dinners.