“Bring the Famila”
Review of Angelo's

Angelo's
Ranked #28 of 130 Restaurants in Flemington
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This place is temporarily closed due to fire. No re-open date yet.
new jersey
“Bring the Famila”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Here is a place that you can afford to bring the whole family. Ma, Pa, GrandPa, Grandma and the kids.Not the best Italian food but good enough to fill up the tank and have enough left to fill up your car. A real Family affair!

• Visited July 2012

Lebanon, New Jersey
1,158 restaurant reviews
“Split vote on from us on this one”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My lady had a swordfish puttanesca (special) which she said was very good. (I thought the sauce had a strange dairy taste to it.) I had eggplant rollatini which was fine enough, but the pasta had a chain-restaurant flavor to it. We had a margaretta pizza to start. Too much sauce - it overwhelmed the thin crust and the cheese did not have much flavor. Overall, I would have rated my meal below average. She rated hers as good to very good. The service we agree was average, the atmosphere barely so (loud family place), and value average. Overall, we will go with average - but barely so.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Morgan2010
NJ
“Best value in hunter don county”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

If you live in hunter don county you know that there is limited restaurants where you want to spend your hard earned cash. Angelos restaurant is one place to get quality food at a reasonable price.
Danielle and Angelo and their children make you feel at their home while you are enjoying your meal. They always are pleasant and want to please you. The food is always fresh and consistently good. The mussels are delicious as well as the pizza. This place reminds us of the places we used to eat at I. Essex county.
My only complaint would be you get so. Much food that you have to take it home and have leftovers the next day.
This is not a fine dining restaurant. It's a family establishment and Danielle Angelo and his children mKe you feel like family

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“whoever says this place has quality italian food is nuts”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I have eaten at Italian places where thr food was clearly authentic italian however this place was horrible, I ordered pene with vodka sauce and it tasted like it came right out of a can!!!!! it was the worst, I am not from the Flemington area and asked where I could eat some GOOD itailian food, man did the Flemington residents really steer me wrong!!!! I found the waitress to be a total ditz and very rude!! and the owner seemed very unwilling to answer a few dietary questions we had for him!!!!!!! I decided to then try the pizza which was average at best, I really didnt see what the hype was, I only can say since there are not many really good places to eat in Flemington that people seem to think this place is good!!!!!!!!! trust me anyone who knows what good quality italian food is would never enjoy this food

2 Thank SportsFan4411
Clinton, NJ
“Very Good Thin Crust Pizza - What a Pleasant Surprise in Flemington, NJ”
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I have driven by Angelo's so many times, have rarely seen their parking lot not full, but was never tempted to give it a try until I saw their new bright blue neon sign. It drew me and my family in and we were pleasantly surprised. While Angelo's has a large Italian food menu, from the fried calamari appetizer to pasta, we went for the wood fired pizza. The pizza menu is deceptively short. What we found out was that the offerings seem to be the basic configurations for pizza and then you can add more from a large variety of the typical pizza toppings. We have been twice (Nov-Dec 2009) and both times ordered the Tuscan, with grilled eggplant and artichoke hearts. The second time, my husband ordered it with roasted red peppers, sausage, and extra cheese. That did the trick; I was completely besotted by that pizza. The roasted red peppers tasted like they were made right there at Angelo's. Luscious and smoky. Full of flavor. The artichoke hearts were fresh tasting, not briny or vinegary. We also ordered lots of fresh chopped garlic and our waitresses never blinked at our request and gave us all the garlic we asked for. Angelo's serves chopped garlic in oil. We slather our pizzas with it and lots of hot pepper flakes. While I'm not a decided fan of thin crust pizza (I attribute that to not having been exposed to it) and I'll admit I was not converted at our first visit, I am now a true fan. The crust at Angelo's is thin, yeasty, and pleasantly chewy with good flavor. The sauce is subtle, but still garlicky and homey.

We also ordered the bruschetta appetizer, in a half order, which was still very large. The bruschetta was fresh and mildly garlicky (I could take more garlic) and rustic. At both visits, the bread was nicely toasted and crunchy on the outside and warmed through nicely. The fried calamari was so so on the first visit, kind of rubbery; on the second visit, it was much better, fresher tasting and tender. It is simply dredged in flour and fried and served with a rustic, again, garlicky, homey marinara. Not bad (I fry my calamari after dredging it in tapioca flour, which turns out a very light and crunchy, which I prefer.). On our second visit, we ordered the pasta fagioli. Bland, thin broth, beans undercooked and other items overcooked or from a can. I wouldn't recommend it. My favorite pasta fagioli was made by a Roman in Southeast Asia and made me weak at the knees. I still remember it. He blended some of the fagioli into the soup to thicken it and he used ham. None have compared since, so I will skip this dish at Angelo's.

My toddler loves the french fries at Angelo's and I have to admit they're tasty. My eight year old is quite picky about his pizza and this is the only pizza he has raved about. His tastes are pretty sophisticated for a little guy. He likes his pizzas with anchovies, fresh garlic, pepperoni, and black olives. He's ready to make Angelo's our Friday night tradition, which up to now has been Shop Rite (Clinton) sushi.

After all was said and done, our tab came to roughly $40 the first time (bruschetta, fried calamari, french fries, 2 pizzas, bottled water, and Limonata) and a bit more the second time and we had plenty to take home with us for cold pizza breakfast the next day. A fantastic value. I can't speak for the rest of the menu, but there are always so many locals enjoying a range of dishes there that I'm tempted to try more than pizza.

It was very crowded both times we went (Friday night and Sunday night), but once we were seated, we were comfortable and did not feel crowded. The wait staff is very friendly, efficient and attentive. It seems to be loud, but not offensive, just a lot of people enjoying themselves.

I highly recommend Angelo's Tuscan pizza with lots of fresh garlic and hot pepper flakes.