“Great food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
New Providence, New Jersey
“Great food”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of having lunch at The Market Roost in Flemington,New Jersey on Saturday afternoon. We have been here before and the food is always good and creative. We had the Washington Chowder for soup. Just great! The spices are what really made the soup a winner. Then I had their chicken pot pie which unlike many others was not mostly liquid. The meat was in the center with the veggies surrounding in a nice flaky crust. My wife had a vegetarian meal that she thought was excellent. The owners,Carol and Norman do a really nice job of offering something good and different. In a down economy it was nice to see so many people at their establishment. The Market Roost is definitely worth visiting. 2Aquarians from N.J.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank elfmale

New Jersey
“Go only if everything else is closed”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We recently met friends for a Sunday brunch at this establishment, after it had been recommended to them. Not only is the food incredibly overpriced, but ill prepared and served on plastic plates with plastic cups as well as no waiter service. (The coffee was not worthy of a Dunkin Donuts.) The woman who takes your order and seems to be incharge, has the poor attitude which has already been mentioned in other reviews. We have just moved to Flemington and were happy to find an upscale restaurant such as this on Main Street, but this one won't last unless the food is improved and the prices become more realistic. In all fairness, the desserts looked wonderful, but the main courses which we ate (average price $16.00) were without exception disappointing.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank KentNewJersey
Lincoln Park, New Jersey
“Our Flemington fave!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We happened upon this spot about two years back when the Shaker Cafe was closed and have been counting our blessings ever since. The food at Market Roost is fresh, creative, and outstanding. My husband and I make it our first stop when we hit Flemington Furs or the outlets.

My favorite is the roast beef sandwich with horseradish mayo, my husband's favorite is Corned Beef Sloppy Joe. I have had both and they are out of this world. Fresh, juicy, and tasty. the 12-grain bread is terrific. The sides of cole slaw and potato salad are quite good. The desserts are sinfully delicious. Everything is fresh-baked.

The owner is very good at making suggestions if you have any questions. While others have said the service is slow, I have found it is in line with the service and tempo of the restaurant. This is a small, quaint establishment and care is put in to each order. If you are looking for a fast food meal or chain-restaurant style service or if you are in a hurry, then yes, this is not your spot.

However, if you have time to have a delicious, fresh, (and lots of healthy choices as well) meal with cute atmosphere, eclectic items for sale, knowledgeable and friendly owner, interesting drink choices, and clean bathrooms, then definitely give Market Roost a shot.

The hours are posted and occasionally they close early for a private party, however, we go out of our way to visit and like to leave with a dessert for the road as well.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank skorpio64nj
Lebanon, New Jersey
“Nice small cafe with excellent food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our first visit to the Market Roost and we enjoyed our experience. The staff explained everything to us and how everything "worked" and did not pressure us to quickly order our food. The service is fine, it's a order at the counter and sti down and they bring the food. The food was delicious, very well cooked and seasoned well. It was a little pricey but you get good quality product so it's worth it. We did not try the baked products but they all looked (and smelled) delicious. I recommend this Main Street location! They've weathered the Main Street storm and have remained in business, that says something!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Finkster1027
Hunterdon County, NJ
“Good Food But...”
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I like the place because the food is really good(the apple pie is the best I've ever had, seriously) but the hours SUCK and the owner seems to have an attitude. We've spoken in the past and it seems that she prefers the catering side...perhaps she should close down the storefront. I came around one Saturday and 9:30 am and the place was closed. Just weird.

2 Thank theseacret