“BIG Disappointment! Don't waste your money or time there.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 124 Restaurants in Flemington
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
New Jersey
“BIG Disappointment! Don't waste your money or time there.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

Went to Viva Mexico in Flemington on Saturday evening, thanks to the good reviews in TripAd and the first web entry that pops up when you google them. I am only giving them one star because I have to. I would give them zero stars if I could. The only thing freshly made and tasty was the salsa. The servers were not rude, but they were not friendly either. They seemed more like unhappy drones just going thru the motions and not very well at that. We were seated in a corner and after the first tiny bowl of chips (6 or 7 room temperature chips) and salsa. We were forgotten about. The girl who took our order should have noticed we were out of chips, but she never even looked. The rest of the time they never even checked on us. Finally, our entrees came. I had the chicken fajitas and they were the worst I ever had. The orangey color chicken was dried out and tasted stale and had no flavor or spice to it at all I am convinced it was a reheated leftover. The rest of the plate consisted of some shredded lettuce, a tablespoon of runny sour cream, a 1/4 of a slice of a tomato, a teaspoon of old, lousy tasting guacamole, with some fried onions and peppers. There was a little side plate of dried out beans and rice (about two tablespoons of each). The flour tortillas were room temperature (not warm) and were some supermarket brand. I now had to pay $16 for that?!? You have to be kidding!

The depressing familia that runs VM is probably laughing right now about how much they can overcharge gringos for week old, reheated left overs that they wouldn't feed their junkyard dog.

Take my advice, skip the trip to VM and go straight to Taco Bell and order the 99 cents daily special. You'll save yourself the $50 restaurant tab and will know that at least at a fast food chain there is a minimum standard of quality and service that you will receive.

1 Thank WellTraveledNJUSA

Flemington, NJ
“Too Good to Miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2008

Real good food at great prices. This is the real deal authentic Mexican food. Not the stuff we're used to this side of the Mississippi. I love the Tamales and the Carne Hasada. You just can't go wrong here. The Black Bean soup is great as well. Try the Puerco Hasado too. My wife an I frequent Viva Mexico twice a month and never get tired. It's that good!

Fremington, NJ
“Homestyle Mexican food in Flemington”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

A small friendly homey atmosphere. Food is very good, Carne asada steak is our favorite. We haven't tried everything yet, but it is one of our favorite places to go. BYOB