“Oh Dear! Perfectly terrible tonight.”

Viva Mexico Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 129 Restaurants in Flemington
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We've been to this place any number of times and have previously given it fairly good reviews. But tonight, when seven of us (six adults, one child) went for dinner we had a totally unacceptable experience. One member of our party ordered their special fish dish. We were not told that this dish would take unbelievably long to prepare. When after 45 minutes of waiting for dinner, we asked when our meals would be served, the waitress told us that the delay was due to the fish special. If a dish cannot be prepared and served in the same amount of time that the other dishes on the menu take, it should not be on the menu. It was a full hour before our meals were served and by that time we were in bad enough moods that the meal simply was not enjoyable. It will be a long time, if ever, before we go back. Sorry, but that kind of experience is deadly.

1  Thank Barry S

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We're semi-regulars at this Flemington Mexican restaurant, going there about once every 3 months or so, and have been since it opened several years ago. The menu has stayed pretty much the same over all that time and so has the quality of the service and the food. While the menu is somewhat limited (perhaps a dozen different dishes) they also generally have two or three specials available. On our most recent visit I ordered one of the specials, Ropa Vieja, which was quite tasty. My wife had their Tilapia special which she also enjoyed. If one of the specials isn't appealing to me I tend to order their Tampiquena--a small sirloin with a piquant sauce, an enchilada and, of course, rice and beans. They also have an excellent Tortilla Soup, but we tend to avoid having soup in the summer months. We usually also skip dessert, but on our last visit decided to splurge and order a bunuelo for both of us to share. While it was quite tasty (Vanilla Ice Cream drizzled with honey and served on a sweet flour tortilla), it did not come up to the quality of bunuelos we've had at Mexican Village in Princeton. This bunuelo needed to have some cinammon sprinkled on it and the sweet flour tortilla could have and should have been more delicate. Nonetheless, it was a satisfying ending to a very pleasant meal. The restaurant is in a small old building and the decor is quite simple but certainly clean and pleasant. The service is always friendly and efficient. While the place can get quite busy on a Friday or Saturday night, we've almost never had a wait for a table (I don't think they take reservations); of course we tend to get there early...around 6 or 6:30 PM. Don't forget to bring your own beer, wine or, like us, Margaritas.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The food was tasty, and the portions where on the small side of decent. Contrary to the post above, the guac was average and most certainly was not worth the $4.50 for the small side of guac that I recieved. My son and I both ordered the combination, and I would have been ok paying 10.95 for the portions we recieved, but 14.95, again way to expensive.

As for the soda, I was completely unimpressed, when I ordered sodas for my son and I, and they walked out with hot can of soda (1.50 for 12 oz can) and a glass of ice.

And one last thing ... if you want more than the 7-8 chips they bring you free, they charge you 1.50 for a small bowl of chips.

Is too bad, I like the food, but won't return at those kind of prices.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love this place. It's nothing fancy, but the food is GREAT! It's BYOB and the staff is very friendly and welcoming. I love their fajitas and chimichangas. First round of chips and salsa are free!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

This place used to be good. The food has severly taken a turn for the worse. I'm being generous with the rating that I gave.

1  Thank karenkennedy617