“Save your money!”
Review of Orvieto Restaurant - CLOSED

Orvieto Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine Italian cuisine, authentically European. Classical cooking from all regions of Italy. Catering on and off premises. Private parties available for birthdays, weddings, rehearsals, commitment ceremonies, communions, and business meetings.
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Nice ambiance but the food leaves a lot to be desired. Went with some friends and most were very disappointed with their meals. My wife's pasta and broccoli was way too salty. My friend's wife was the last to be served and her meal arrived cold. Two of us ordered the Osso Bucco based on waiter's recommendation and it was the worst I have ever had. Very tough and lots of fat. We expressed our dissatisfaction with the waiter and absolutely nothing was done nor was it ever acknowledged or addressed by the manager. Will never go back. Save your money and go somewhere else!

1  Thank DCI1264

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stopped at Orvieto because other restaurants in the area were closed on Monday nights, but we're so glad the others were closed! We had a fabulous meal, really enjoyed getting to know the owner, who waited on us, and just had a delightful time. There was only one other couple in the restaurant, not surprising for a cold Monday in February, and they totally enjoyed their meal too. The owner carefully told us about all their wonderful specials, detailing every last ingredient and the cooking methods for each one. Yes, that took some time, but we were there to relax and enjoy a great meal, so her descriptions only added to the pleasure of the evening. We didn't even look at the regular menu because each special she described sounded irresistible.
We usually split an appetizer, but since they all sounded so good, we ordered two. My husband had the mushroom cup, a crunchy cup made from flour and parmesan cheese that had been baked into a cup shape and then stuffed with the most savory mixture of a variety of four or five different kinds of mushrooms, sautéed in a savory gravy. It was fabulous. We would happily have had that as an entrée. And I had cockles and mussels, which were served in a large bowl with a light sauce loaded with garlic--delicious. We had had mussels just a few months before in Brugges, which is known for its mussels dishes, but this sauce was better, even though the shellfish here are not as fat and sweet as in Belgium.
For an entrée, I had the chicken special and my husband had salmon. The chicken was cooked for four hours, we were told, and then loaded with a very tasty tomato sauce. It was very good, but next time, I'm getting the salmon. That was split open and stuffed with shrimp and scallops and cooked just right, not overdone. Each dish was served with green beans that were lightly sautéed with loads of garlic and cooked perfectly, as well as several slices of nicely crispy scalloped potatoes.
By then, we were feeling so relaxed and happy--we had also had a glass of wine--that we decided we had to get dessert too, even though we weren't sure we could eat any more. The decision was made for us when our hostess/owner told us they made their own ice cream. So I had cherry vanilla ice cream over a slice of warm cherry crumb pie and my husband had vanilla ice cream over a slice of warm chocolate pecan pie. Both just amazing.
We were charmed by the atmosphere and the friendly service, delighted by the food, and we'll definitely be going back soon.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

For the life of me icannot understand why this place is not jam packed every night. The food is AMAZING each and every time we go there. Husband and wife owned both with a passion for food that shows in every dish. This restaurant never fails to make everyone we have ever taken here happy .. Usually we go and the wife will explain in detail how each special is made.. you will be salivating in your mouth.. Yes, they are as delicious as she makes them sound. I love the goat cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon, Eggplant Napolean (tower of layered eggplant and cheese with spinach... to die for) and for dinner my husband had the beef braised ribs that fell off the bone and had the salmon .. well.. let me tell you .. I do not like any other salmon EXCEPT this dish from Orvieto. It has some kind of Apricot flavoring that I love so much .. This salmon is awesome ! All the sides ,. the deserts.. Trust me .. you will not be disappointed with Orvieto..
The only reason I think they are not busy may be because the sign in somewhat hard to see... You should be happy .,.. because if people find out how great it is... we will have to wait for a table.... (FYI Bistro 151 is down the street from Orvieto and was nothing compared to what you get here.... They have a huge sign and were packed... It made me sad to see that this place is hidden and someone up the road with low quality food is busy) ... Come On Orvieto !!! Get the word out !! I ran into a Chef last night that told me he had been there years ago and it was superb.. Then he asked me if it was still open... I think they need more advertising ! I love it here ..

1  Thank J S
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My family had a fantastic culinary experience at Orvieto's in May, 2012 on the front porch in the quaint downtown of Flemington. The eggplant appetizer and salmon and mango sauce main dish was excellent as was the shrimp/scallop scampi. The food, the service and conversation was great. BYOB. Highly recommend it.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

A cute restaurant with good food. However the owner hovered over our table and was pushy with the pricey specials.

2  Thank rich47buzz