“Mixed feelings”
Review of Orvieto Restaurant

Orvieto Restaurant
Ranked #92 of 129 Restaurants in Flemington
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fine Italian cuisine, authentically European. Classical cooking from all regions of Italy. Catering on and off premises. Private parties available for birthdays, weddings, rehearsals, commitment ceremonies, communions, and business meetings.
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We found this restaurant due to a $25 coupon on another website. It is BYOB so we took our own wine. We drank only tap water, split one special starter -- a great eggplant Napoleon, which was the best thing we ate. One of us ordered a special chicken breast with cheeses slow cooked. The waitress took the knife out of my hand which I had picked up, and took my fork and showed me how I could just use a fork. Huh? Yes, it was soft, but would have been better more briefly cooked then topped with the sauce. My partner had the "signature" pork chop which is cooked in sauce for hours. It was very dry, and while the sauce was flavorful, none of that flavor seemed to have seeped into the pork itself. It's hard to imagine that this is their "best dish". Both entrees came with some almost pureed potato mixed with a number of cheeses. This was cheese with potato, not the other way around. Since both dishes already included multi cheeses, the starter was filled with cheese and even the olive oil for the bread was loaded with grated cheese, it all seemed like overkill to us. There was only one other couple in the dining room so it was a bit awkward -- we seemed forced to "socialize". The bill (with gratuity included) before our discount coupon was $93, a bit high for just one starter and two entrees, we thought.

1  Thank Nappatles

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Homemade and Cared For! Wow - the specials are explained and my mouth watered. What to choose? It is obvious that the owners of this restaurant pay special attention to the food!! Finally, not all fancy and shiny surroundings and then looking for a diner on the way home because your still hungry. The desserts are to just DIE for! Save room - the Raspberry Rhapsody is just fabulous . . . next time I may start with dessert!

1  Thank ViennaSunflower
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I had a lovely, very private dinner here. The food was AMAZING! The owner was very nice as well. We ordered based on her recommendations and we were not disappointed.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I was intrigued by the tadvisor reviews on this place. Nearly half excellent, half terrible. Which group is right? Well, sorry to say I tend toward the terrible group - though I will not go that bad. The atmosphere of the place is the best part. Cozy room in old house with a fireplace going. (You need to look past the water marks on ceiling and cracks on wall.) Like other reviews have said, the voice-over on the menu and specials is a bit long-winded. We asked the waiter for recommendations - which he offered (mostly the (higher-priced) specials). As other reviewers also said, he told us some thing not to have (why are they on the darn menu?). My lady had the zuppa de pesce - a usual of hers. While she said it was average, I found the seafood to be small and the sauce was the type that separates (paste and water) right in your plate. Not cling to pasta as it should. Since the waiter made the special pork chop sound so good - I went with it. He said the meat was simmered for seven hours with a tomato and black olive sauce. (Strangely, he said it took 20 minutes to prepare.) Well, the pork may have been simmered for seven hours, but they left the lid off and all the moisture boiled off. Pork was very dry and overdone. And the sauce, was a paste that appeared to be just slopped onto the dried out pork (not cooked with it). Oh - before our food came out, the lady (other reviewers mention) came over and asked what were having. When I said the pork chop, she said "That is what we are known for". Enough said. Service was ok - but mistakes were made. We will not go again.

3  Thank Morgan2010
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We found Orvieto's via restaurant.com and we're happy we did. The restaurant is situated in an old house and we were able to get a table downstairs next to the big stone fireplace. The place has a cozy, country feeling to it. Very nice on a cold winter's night. The staff was very friendly and a woman who appeared to be the owner visited our table a couple of times to chat with us and make menu recommendations. She was very welcoming and fun to talk with.

I had an eggplant appetizer that was similar to eggplant parmesan and it was very good, although the eggplant cutlets were a tad overcooked/tough. It was a special not on the menu and I should have asked the price because when the bill came I was surprised to see it was about $13. A bit high for a vegetable appetizer.

For my entree I had the rigatoni with vodka cream sauce. This was DIVINE. Melt-in-your-mouth delicious. And for dessert, I had this outstanding chocolate ganache-enrobed cheesecake. Very silky, creamy and delicious.

For the most part, prices are moderate. Most entrees appeared to be in the $16-$20 range. Appetizers were in the $10 range.

We will definitely visit again.