Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Fairfield
Reviewed March 19, 2009

This was my 3rd stay at the Crown Plaza in Fairfield, so thought it was time I wrote a review. First impressions when you arrive outside is that it looks nothing special. The car park is large and is located at the side (where the main entrance is) and at the rear. I was in NJ on business, so wanted a functional hotel but near restaurants as I know how much these hotels can charge for food.

The main public areas are in the process of being refurbished, but there is no need to worry about noise. I never heard a thing whilst there. Reception is just off the main entrance, next to the combined restaurant and Bar. The welcome was very friendly, and there were warm cookies and fruit to take if you felt the need, plus complimentary coffee around the corner.

Being a Platinum Priority Club member, this was the 2nd time I received a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. Plus, as my son joined me this time, they gave me vouchers for complimentary breakfast for every day we were there, which was a great touch.

The room itself was really nice, with a king bed at one end, a corridor with wardrobe, coffee machine, fridge and at the other end a lounge area with sofabed. The desk has a connectivity centre including power, USB, Ethernet etc which was really handy. The bedroom had a CD Radio Alarm Clock and a complimentary 'relaxation pack' of linen scent, eye pads, ear plugs and a CD of relaxing music.

The bathroom was large, with an illuminated mirror and jacuzzi. A nice touch was a glow light plugged into a socket which means you can fin you way if you need to use the bathroom during the night (a great idea if you are still on UK time!)

The room also had 2 HD TV's, one in the bedroom and one in the lounge area, showing a large number of channels, with some in HD.

The only real downside I had with the hotel was the bar area. It is a little desk in the corner of the restaurant and very expensive. I was charge $6 for a bottle of beer! I didn't eat there in the evening, but looked at the menu and a steak was $22. There are eating places nearby. There's a Ruby Tuesday in the Willowbrook Mall next door (1/4 mile or so) and Houlihan's over the road (which cost me $65 for 2 meals including a glass of wine).

There is an indoor pool and gym, but I did not get time to use them, although they looked clean.

There are ice machines on each floor and vending on floor 5. There is also a business centre, free of charge to use, which is handy for checking into your return flight online.

There is also a shuttle bus that will take you anywhere within 5 miles, although I didn't use it as I had a hire car while I was there.

Overall, a nice clean, friendly hotel and I will stay there again for my next trip to NJ.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Istate75

Reviewed March 9, 2009

The hotel is under renovations, however, do not be deceived by the outside. Our room on the 5th floor was beautifully appointed and sound proofed. Had special amenities that we had not yet seen in other hotels. The staff could not be more accomodating even sending up a meat and cheese platter to our room. We are platinum Holiday Inn members and frequently get special bonuses, however, this was special. Will stay there again next year when we return to NJ for an annual special event! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
FairfieldCrowneplaza, Revenue Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2009

Thank you for your response as we pride ourselves in going above and beyond your normal hotel. I would like for you to know that we will be done with our renovation of the restaurant, lobby and lounge in late April and would be more than happy to meet with you and thank you.

Reviewed January 3, 2009

I and my wife stayed at this hotel to spend new years eve in the city. Overall, the hotel is very clean. We had a very nice room with a king bed. The room was spacious, the bed was very comfortable. The plasma tv and the incredible set of plugs on the desk (usb charging station, vga computer plug, rgb video plug, audio plug) were a very nice addition. The heater was controlled by a digital station on the wall, which allowed us to adjust exactly the temperature of the room. The bathroom was very clean, with adjustable shaving mirror. As we came in the room, we found on the bed a bottle of complimentary lavender spray for the linens, earplugs and a cd with relaxing tunes to help you sleep better! Oddly enough, there was no refrigerator in the room.

The staff was incredibly kind and helpful, check in and check out were quick.

That was the good. Now with the bad.

Unfortunately the transportation system is not the best. The hotel provides a free shuttle which brings you everywhere in a 5 miles radius, which is a nice service. This includes a ride to the closest bus stop, in front of a mall. The shuttle rides until 10 in the night, which is not very useful. It takes from 1/2 an hour to over 1 hour to get to New York from the bus station and that means that you need to leave the city at around 9pm in order to catch the last shuttle back to the hotel. If you want to enjoy NY's night life, that's definitely a downside. We were there with the car and we were forced to use it, with all that comes from that. The last bus from NY leaves port authority at about 12am. The mall is actually not very far from the hotel (1/4 of a mile), but you need to walk on the side of US46, and it is not a very pleasant walk. It may be dangerous at night. It would be better if the shuttle service would ride (on call) until the time of the last bus from the city.

In conclusion, it is a great hotel as far as quality of service and comfort are concerned, but it is not a good choice if you want to go to the city at night unless you want to use your car.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Stayed here one night. Checkin was smooth, rooms are clean and quiet. . Desk staff was helpful, gym was very good. Houlihans and Target nearby.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I stayed at this hotel based on a client request. The hotel is fairly straight forward. The rooms are large. They have a separate sitting area with its own TV. The bed was comfortable and the water pressure/temperature was fine. This and a reliable internet connection is all I ask for when traveling on business. However, the latter was not provided. The internet was spotty and when I was able to connect was painfully slow. There was one night when I dialed-in because the hotels "high speed" was slower.

My only other gripe is that I forgot toothpaste and the hotel did not have any to give me. Usually this is something that can be provided.

The hotel is just fine for a business traveler who needs a place to sleep, and the warm cookies at the front desk at night were a nice touch. The workout room was simple but had the equipment I wanted (an elliptical). Overall this hotel is good for the budget minded business traveler, but if you/your client is willing, spring for the Hilton in Parsippany.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Jacob M
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I was here on business. No issues with the place. Check in took 10 minutes or so. There were warm cookies waiting in the lobby. The room was clean. In general, the building is older. It shows its age the most in the the bar / dining areas. The breakfast was too expensive no matter how you look at it. It was $14.95 for the hot buffet. Food was fine. But you can't make the food add up to this price... bacon / scrambled eggs / homefries / coffee / juices / etc.

Jose Tejas across the street was pretty good. By across the street I mean its a two mile drive to end up literally directly across the street from this hotel. Its just one of those crowded-jughandled sections of NJ.

Stayed: December 2007
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This is the first review I have ever written, but I feel I must because our experience was terrible. We arrived to check in, and place our bags in the room, and then go to our son's concert in the area. We thought check in would take 20-30 minutes tops. The reception desk was ok- gave us our key- we took our stuff up to our king size nonsmoking room. The room was filthy (like old dirt), smelled of mold and mildew, and the desk was sticky to touch and the air conditioner was running full blast with large pieces of dirt blowing out. We immediately asked for another room. The second room we went to was already occupied! We unlocked the door with our new key, but couldn't open it because the security latch was on (only can be on from inside of room) and you could see someone's stuff in there through the mirror. Embarrassing! By this time we were going to be late for our concert- but went back to the reception desk for the third time...someone personally brought us up to the third room, which was ok- that's it- just ok- I just wanted to get out of there to the concert, so we took it. When we came back that night we noticed the room was not that clean, but we were too tired to complain. In the morning we went down for the breakfast buffet which was not that great, given that it was 10.95 a piece plus tip. I've had better breakfasts at the Hampton Inn and suites for alot cheaper. My husband went to the reception desk to check out and give the management our thoughts on the stay, and they gave us 30% off our bill- only after he complained. They stated that they are going to start a major renovation next year. The bottom line: it doesn't cost much more money to keep a place clean- the standards at this hotel are substandard for the rating that this place is given on the internet. We've stayed at many places and the majority were fun- we are generally pretty easy to please. But the money we paid for this place (even with a AAA discount) doesn't equate to the experience. Choose another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairfield
Hilton Garden Inn Wayne
Holiday Inn Totowa
Holiday Inn Totowa
#1 of 1 in Totowa

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield? Share your experiences!