“Fresh Italian food at a great price.”
Review of Cucina Calandra

Cucina Calandra
Reserve with OpenTable
Cucina Calandra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 68 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fairfield Road
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

You can not go wrong with Cucina. Chef Henry works the wood burning pizza oven and keeps kids entertained playing with dough. The fresh pasta is the best. We've never had a bad meal. The restaurant could use a little face lift.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I've asked for a small cheese plater that wasn't on the menu and in minutes I've had an amazing variety of cheeses with a glass of Italian wine. Pasta with walnuts was great as well! Portions are huge - so choose wisely. Service is just outstanding! Cathy as well as restaurant manager - 5 stars! You are the best!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I regulary stay in Fairfield for business and a trip isint compleate without eating at Cucina Calandra. This past visit we ordered the Margherita pizza as an appitizer and I had the Pollo Arrabbiata for the main course. The pizzas are made in a wood burning oven so the crust is always crispy and done to perfection. The free cheesy bread they also give you is a nice touch. The wait staff is attentive and their drinks are well made.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This was my first first to this restaurant and they do have a couple around this part of New Jersey.
I have always thought of the name synonymous with bakery's not restaurants, that is how bad I am. Well on a heavy rainy evening we ventured forth to meet up with some friends who had picked this restaurant to have dinner. They are located inside of a Best Western Hotel, so we were skeptical at first, but that oon past, as soon as we entered the restaurant. It was rather crowded but we were seated immediately with our reservation. The waiter came to our table fairly promptly and took our drink orders. then came back and we ordered our main selections. Lobster Ravioli, Chicken Milanese, Pollo Arrabiata, Veal special, and a penne special. While we were served delicious cheese encrusted baked loaves of bread along with olive oil, the wait seemed very long. We continued our conversation, albeit a bit noisy, it took what felt like 30 minutes to receive our entree's. Then they finally came, four of them minus one. We all looked at each other and politely waited for the last dish to arrive, but after a few moments we realized we would have to remind someone that we were still waiting for a final dish. At that moment the Manager came by noticing the situation and she immediately apologized and said she will take care of it, and of course the meal will be on the restaurant since this was not their normal service. One additional minute or two and out came the order, again with the manager standing near by to apologize. That attentiveness made the experience more comforting, and for that
alone I would come back.
Now as far as the food was concerned, the arrabiata should have come out much spicier than it did, it was rather bland. The Lobster Ravioli looked nice and the guest enjoyed it very much. The other comments were good as well.
Coffee was served in small cups, and at 2.95 for regular coffee, we all thought that this was somewhat high.
All other entrees were in the low 20's which seemed fine.
We would all go back, since the overall experience was a good one.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I went for dinner. It wasn't particularly busy, and there were several open tables, but it look several minutes to seat us and I'm not sure why. I ordered a Peroni beer and was brought a Pelligrino sparkling water....? Then, while the waiter was reading us the specials, one of the managers/owners interrupted him to hand him his weekly paystub. Mid-sentence, a MANAGER interrupted him. And not your garden-variety college freshman "manager" from Chili's. An actual adult with authority, likely an owner, but evidently clueless. Incredible.

Food was mediocre at best. There are so many good Italian places in this area...this one was just "eh." The bread, however, is pretty good, with melted cheese in the middle. It would have been nice if someone had pointed this out to us, however, as we looked around for butter or oil for the bread before cutting it. At the end of the meal, the waiter offered us dessert, we declined, then we sat there almost 20 full minutes before seeing another waiter. Finally our waiter realized he didn't bring us our check, announced an expletive, and brought us our check. Professional.

I left a good tip anyway because I'm not rude. Then I check my credit card statement a few days later and find that they charged me literally DOUBLE my original bill. No idea if this was the waiter's fault or the owners, but I called them to fix it, and two OWNERS from the restaurant, Jody and Bill, could do absolutely nothing to fix it because "their records show" that's not what they charged me. I offered to send my receipt, but they declined. Ridiculous! I have to do the legwork with my own credit card company because you overcharge me? Maybe I should have expected this level of service based on the service quality inside the restaurant...

Anyway, even without this frustrating ending, I wouldn't go back. The food isn't worth writing home about, and the prices for said food are a little ridiculous considering the quality. Avoid this one.

2  Thank superj300