“Stayed over the Holidays...Would Recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Fairfield
ATL..Yall
“Stayed over the Holidays...Would Recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2006

My family stayed here over the Christmas holiday...about 30 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel in New York, close to a mall, which I need for a nail repair.

The hotel rooms were clean, and while the maid staff barely spoke any English, the housekeeping supervisor was on hand and easy to find.

My biggest complaint was the number of kids running loudly thru the hallways, but that wasnt the hotels problem, but the parents of some unruly children.

The breakfast was upscale contineantal with some ham or sausage if you got there early. Also they ran out of bagles 2 of the 7 days we were there, but there was an ample supply of muffins, fruit and danishes.

Pool table, pool and jaccuzzi area closed at 11pm, which was no fun for my boyfriend and I because we like to utilzie these things in the wee morning hours when everyone else is asleep...but again...this didnt reflect poorly on the hotel.

Front desk very helpful in providing direction, bus scheduling and activites in the area (besides New York).

Also....please be aware of where you are going...it is very easy to pass this hotel and have to go about 4-5 miles down the road before U-turn are allowed. The street was this way all the way into New York....U turns are a hassle on this strech of highway.
Would be happy to stay here again

Stayed December 2005
3 Thank monyhngry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2005

It was OK, but not as nice as other Hampton Inns.

I had tried to make an online reservation, but the computer timed out so I called directly to the hotel at 5pm, explaining what happened and saying I wanted to make sure I had one reservation--the lady took my info and we were on our way. Arriving at 8pm the same lady said "You have reservations for two rooms." I explained how I had called and talked to her about the computer problem and the need for one reservation and she said "You had to cancel by 6pm." As I wasn't budging, she eventually asked someone else if she should just cancel one in the computer. He shrugged, she canceled and gave us our one room.

The next night we went down to the lobby at midnight to get some coffee/tea and the door lock wouldn't open to let us back in. Night manager couldn't get it open and put us in another room while all our stuff was locked in the other one, wanting to call maintenance staff and then call us in the other room an hour or two later to come get our stuff. We recommended calling us at 6am. No maintenance staff came and the day manager told us at 6am that he expected someone at 8am, knowing we were planning to checkout and leave at 8am. We persuaded him to try anything and he somehow got the key device to work. Morning desk staff was pleasant though not very knowledgeable about the 46 bus out front ($7.20 each way that day to NYC Port Authority). Day manager was better informed.

Beds in both rooms uncomfortable--the kind where you can feel the springs in the mattress. Towels and toilet paper rough. Such a difference from the comfortable bed, soft towels and paper in the Hampton Inn we had stayed in the night before.

Lobby fireplace is pretty--restaurant tables around it in the lobby at night. Usual generous breakfast bar, but was overwhelmed on a busy morning and again in evening when people just wanted coffee and tea. We ate our breakfast at the bar.

Business center has computers with Internet--no virus protection on machine and it was capturing passwords even when not requested, so we had to clear all passwords, history, etc. after using the machine.

Didn't use the billiard room, indoor pool, coin laundry, or exercise room. Refrigerator in room.

• Stayed November 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Metwo3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2005

What a bargain! Stayed 1 night. Could have stayed a week. I would recomend this hotel even to travelers used to 3 or 4 star properties. I've paid $400 a night at hotels where the facilities and staff were inferior to this Hampton. They got it all right at this one.

• Stayed November 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2005

+Quiet & Convenient+

My relatives and my husband and I (3/23) just experienced staying at this quiet and convenient Hampton Inn & Suites in Fairfield. We all stayed in one suite, which was larger than expected. Our room was located on the wing closest to the Inn's parking lot in the back, so we were not disturbed by the traffic from Route 46 (which is closer to the entrance and lobby of the Inn). We enjoyed a quiet stay. It is convenient, and even though it was somewhat of a drive (45+ minutes) to get to New York City/Manhattan via the Holland Tunnel (Jersey City) the following business morning, the rate savings alone is worth it. I tried to look for suites in the Jersey City and Secaucus area, but most had high rates and some did not allow more than 4 persons in a suite (we had 3 adults, 2 children).

+Parking & Staff+

The parking lot is lighted and free. The staff are friendly and helpful, and our requests for extra blankets and towels and a replacement iron was heeded quickly. Checking-in and checking-out was a very simple and quick process. The invoice was also placed under the doorway the following morning to remind us to check-out before leaving. It snowed overnight when we there, and the side of the Inn's parking lot had a large open area or field with trees adjacent to it, so it was very nice to see this in the morning.

+Suite Amnenities+

There was a large refrigerator, stove, kitchen amnenities, counter, kitchen sink, separate dressing/mirror/sink area outside of the main tub and bath room, and warm heater. There was only one sink (there should be 2 for a suite like that, though). The bath room/bathtub was a little small for the size of a suite, and there were not enough towels (so we requested more). There were also TV's in each of the rooms (one in the separate bedroom with 2 queen-sized beds, and one in the living area with a sofabed). I was a bit disappointed with the sofabed in the living area, which my husband and I slept on. It was not very comfortable, and I think it really needs to be replaced. It was visibly very lumpy and flat, and I could tell it was used often and was old (as a comparison, we, ourselves, have a sofabed at home and have slept on it regularly for 9 years, and it is not as lumpy or flat as that one was). The pillows were too soft, flat, and not fluffy. Although my husband said he slept alright, I personally did not sleep very well on that sofabed.

+Breakfast+

The nicely stocked buffet breakfast is included in the price. They start serving it at 6:00am, which was very convenient for us, because we needed to travel into New York City early. The lobby is absolutely beautiful, elegant, and clean. The fireplace had real flames and warmed up the room very nicely. The buffet staff were on-site making sure that refills would be made and if there were any questions. They and the cleaning and maid staff were all very friendly and nice. There were 2 hot dishes offered (sausage and scrambled egg rounds), as well as a toaster that could toast fresh croissants and breads. There were also a variety of pastries, flavored coffees and drinks, yogurt, as well as a nice assortment of fresh fruit. It was a filling breakfast. The only thing I did not personally like was the TV blaring with the early morning news in the lobby area by the fireplace. We sat away from that area, so at least we did not hear it as much.

+Recommended For Value & Convenience+

This Hampton Inn & Suites seemed to cater to business people, so we did not see as much tourists or families with young children. The surrounding areas in Fairfield are retail stores, businesses, and other suburban neighborhoods, such as West Caldwell, Parsipanny, Lake Hiawatha, Montville, Pine Brook. This hotel would be highly recommended to anyone who might be attending a conference or meeting in the Fairfield or the other areas, or visiting family or churches in the nearby neighborhoods. It is also close to Willowbrook Mall where there are MTA public buses that travel straight into New York's Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street area). I think the fare is about $10.50 or so round-trip. A similar suite in Jersey City (which is closer to New York City) would have charged a higher room rate. Thus, for the value and convenience and the filling breakfast, Hampton Inn & Suites in Fairfield is well recommended. Just make sure to check the sofabed if you will be using it to make sure it will be comfortable for you to sleep on.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2004

We only stayed one night (Oct 9, 2004) at the hotel, but I was extremely pleased with the customer service. Upon checking in, I thought that the gentleman working was extremely polite and happy to be there at the late hour, as opposed to just putting in his time.

A few hours later, my brother and a friend showed up in NJ (unexpected and a day early). Another gentleman working the front desk moved us to another room with 2 queen sized beds as opposed to the single king I had originally chosen.

Also, a few days later, I thought I had left behind a small MP3 player on the bed, and the front desk staff were easily approachable and genuinely put some effort into trying to track it down, rather than tell me "Too bad, its gone forever..."

Breakfast was good, room(s) were very clean and presentable. Can not comment on pool or anything else.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2004

We have nothing but great things to say about this Hampton Inn. The service and food were excellent, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in at a hotel. The rooms were super clean. We had a king-bed suite with a pull-out couch and it was more than enough room for two adults and two kids. They also have a nice pool and workout room. The free breakfast is very generous--there were even hot items like eggs and waffles. I was really impressed with the presence of the manager during breakfast; he was there to make sure everything was running well and everyone was happy. Even my 6-year old wants to call the hotel to tell them how much he enjoyed staying there. And it's all only 1/2 hour from NYC!

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank jasamaud
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2004

Impressive, amazing breakfast for FREE! All hotels should be like this place, no complaints at all

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
BEST WESTERN PLUS Fairfield Executive Inn
#1 of 4 in West Orange
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 5 in Fairfield

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield? Share your experiences!