“The physical structure of the hotel and room were fine, sevice and policies were something else”

Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Fairfield
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at several Hampton Inns & Suites in different states. We expected the same super friendly staff, the same warm welcome with chocolate chip cookies, and the same HHonors member gift bag. We were disappointed.

For a one night stay in Fairfield, NJ, we had originally booked another hotel because the Hampton had a wedding party block on a number of rooms and told us to call back a week before our stay. We should have left things as they were with the other hotel.

The front doors of the hotel have an automatic open button....if you look for it. No auto-sliding doors here, and no one to help or greet when you arrive. The lobby is lovely. We were greeted by a friendly clerk at the front desk, and I signed the registration card. My fault for not noticing that a $30 "incidental" charge was added to my credit card. This is often disclosed in a more obvious way at other hotels, but again, I should have looked more carefully at what I was signing.

When I asked about the cookies, I was told that this hotel does not provide them. They also said our HHonors level precluded the gift bag. Strange, since that wasn't the case at the other Hampton Inns, but otherwise check-in was quick.

The room was large, clean, and nicely decorated. The free wi-fi was powerful, good coffee in the room, and the room service was excellent. We were glad to have a refrigerator/freezer. The meal arrived in 15 minutes, friendly server, great quality. Things went a bit downhill from there.

At 1AM, the hotel fire alarm went off. It took a few minutes to realize what was happening, as there were no announcements or calls from the front desk. When I called the desk, I was told they were looking into it and we would get a call back if we needed to do anything. CLICK. My husband and I started throwing things into the suitcases ready to make a hasty exit. A few minutes more, and I looked into the hallway and saw another guest coming down the hall. He said he had gone downstairs and found out a drunken guest in the lounge had pulled the fire alarm.

There was no further news from the front desk and the alarm stopped about 10 minutes after it started. "Thank You" to the guest who was more informative than the staff.

The included breakfast buffet the next morning was also a disappointment from the other Hamptons. Very limited selection and certain hot dishes were nearly empty. Nothing terrible, just a let down from previous Hamptons. Our bill had been slipped under our door during the night and seemed in order, so we left after breakfast.

A few days later, I saw an additional charge on my credit card statement. When I called the hotel, I learned about the $30 incidental charge that had been applied at check-in, and the extra credit card charge I just saw was the balance of our room service charge.

Given the number of other hotel options in this area, we will never stay at the Hampton Inn again. The price point simply isn't worth it, and it was the little things that would have made the difference.

Room Tip: Our room, #314, faced the back of the building facing an alley, and even though we didn't care a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alyse L

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The hotel itself is nice. Nothing spectacular but it clean and presentable. The staff is a different story. Front desk is unfriendly and not accommodating. The shuttle service is horrible! Very unorganized and a lot of lack of communication.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra G
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have stayed at many Hampton inns around the country and this one has everything you could ask for. A lobby bar, a quality restaurant, and a friendly staff. The ornate wood in the lobby was beautiful. The bar was well stocked. The Restaurant provided exceptional service with a wonderful menu selection

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Clean and appropriate for the price. Liked 1/2 price food and drinks at the bar before 6:30 p.m. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good. Restaurant is excellent but a little pricy. Beds were comfortable and rooms were clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located on a major road. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant is delicious and serves large portions. My family ordered appetizers because we wanted something light and we ended up rolling out. I really liked the complimentary breakfast in the morning. This started my day off well as I had a long drive ahead of me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had my daughter's 14th birthday sleepover party at the hotel. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The rooms were very clean and comfortable (and I am extremely picky). We ate dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. (Calandra's Mediterranean Grill). Everything was delicious. The service we received both in the hotel and restaurant made my daughter feel special, and made me very pleased. We can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Traveling to NJ for college visit for my daughter. Excellent value for the money and convenient location and easy access to major roadways. Location was close to Willowbrook Mall and Callandra's Bakery, (Great Bread and Pastries). Would recommend this hotel highly to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
Best Western Plus Fairfield Executive Inn
5 mi away
Residence Inn West Orange
Residence Inn West Orange
#2 of 4 in West Orange

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield? Share your experiences!