My husband and I have stayed at several Hampton Inns & Suites in different states. We expected the same super friendly staff, the same warm welcome with chocolate chip cookies, and the same HHonors member gift bag. We were disappointed.
For a one night stay in Fairfield, NJ, we had originally booked another hotel because the Hampton had a wedding party block on a number of rooms and told us to call back a week before our stay. We should have left things as they were with the other hotel.
The front doors of the hotel have an automatic open button....if you look for it. No auto-sliding doors here, and no one to help or greet when you arrive. The lobby is lovely. We were greeted by a friendly clerk at the front desk, and I signed the registration card. My fault for not noticing that a $30 "incidental" charge was added to my credit card. This is often disclosed in a more obvious way at other hotels, but again, I should have looked more carefully at what I was signing.
When I asked about the cookies, I was told that this hotel does not provide them. They also said our HHonors level precluded the gift bag. Strange, since that wasn't the case at the other Hampton Inns, but otherwise check-in was quick.
The room was large, clean, and nicely decorated. The free wi-fi was powerful, good coffee in the room, and the room service was excellent. We were glad to have a refrigerator/freezer. The meal arrived in 15 minutes, friendly server, great quality. Things went a bit downhill from there.
At 1AM, the hotel fire alarm went off. It took a few minutes to realize what was happening, as there were no announcements or calls from the front desk. When I called the desk, I was told they were looking into it and we would get a call back if we needed to do anything. CLICK. My husband and I started throwing things into the suitcases ready to make a hasty exit. A few minutes more, and I looked into the hallway and saw another guest coming down the hall. He said he had gone downstairs and found out a drunken guest in the lounge had pulled the fire alarm.
There was no further news from the front desk and the alarm stopped about 10 minutes after it started. "Thank You" to the guest who was more informative than the staff.
The included breakfast buffet the next morning was also a disappointment from the other Hamptons. Very limited selection and certain hot dishes were nearly empty. Nothing terrible, just a let down from previous Hamptons. Our bill had been slipped under our door during the night and seemed in order, so we left after breakfast.
A few days later, I saw an additional charge on my credit card statement. When I called the hotel, I learned about the $30 incidental charge that had been applied at check-in, and the extra credit card charge I just saw was the balance of our room service charge.
Given the number of other hotel options in this area, we will never stay at the Hampton Inn again. The price point simply isn't worth it, and it was the little things that would have made the difference.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel features 154 newly renovated rooms, a state-of-the-art fitness center, an indoor heated pool with whirlpool, and free high-speed wireless Internet access. We serve a complimentary hot and cold breakfast daily and provide complimentary local shuttle service. Pets are not allowed at this property. Our in-house restaurant, Calandra's Mediterranean Grill, is located in our lobby and features a lobby bar. We serve lunch and dinner daily and offer room service. We have private meeting and banquet rooms that are ideal for corporate and social events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield Hotel Fairfield
- Hampton Inn And Suites Fairfield
- Hampton Inn Fairfield
- Fairfield Hampton Inn