“Avoid the night staff form hell”

Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fair Lawn
New York City, New York
“Avoid the night staff form hell”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

If you stay in this hotel make it a last resort thing. especially for the two women who work nights, they are a nightmare, so rude, nasty and mean. try to avoid them at all costs, they threaten people, drink and eat in front of us yet they say the kitchen is closed, when the hotel has advertisements for the kitchen opened for 24 hours. lets be honest, how can you deny people food? especially when you are willing to pay for the meal and the tip? im not happy and im never coming back!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back, the highway is noisy, avoid the two women at night, one black and one Chi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattSalesMM, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very helpful, and all your concerns are valid. We pride ourselves on offering our guests the best possible service. If you did not receive that it is my responsibility to make sure that never happens again. I will address the situation and make sure all our guests feel welcome. Hyatt Place standard is to have our kitchen open 24 hours per day. You should never be turned down for anything offered on our menu.
Please give me the opportunity to show you what Hyatt Place can do. Please call me personally the next time you are in the North New Jersey area.

I look forward to hearing from you!

201-475-3888 X5104
kim.klapper@hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Earth
Reviewed December 8, 2013

As a Hyatt Diamond member, I have stayed in many Hyatt properties both in the United States and abroad. Hyatt Place is my least favorite category of the Hyatt family of hotels. However, this Hyatt Place appears to have good management and provides a nice lodging experience.

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon which was very quiet. The young woman who checked us in was very polite, acknowledged my Diamond status and provided us the keys to a quiet room at the back of the property. The rooms themselves are nothing special but do have very comfortable beds and are more than adequate for a short stay. My biggest criticism of the room layout which applies to all Hyatt Place properties is that the bathrooms which contain the toilet and shower are uncomfortably small but this is compensated for by the oversize rooms.

The property, as others have noted, is not easily accessed from the highway. If you aren't careful, it is very easy to drive past the hotel entrance and the road system is not conducive to an easy on, easy off experience. So a word of caution would be to carefully watch for the hotel and be prepared to quickly slow down to access the driveway.

The one negative experience was that our stay coincided with that of a tour bus. This made accessing the morning breakfast quite challenging as the lobby seating area and breakfast lines are not designed to handle large groups of people comfortably. Obtaining a table was difficult and if you are alone practically impossible. One suggestion to alleviate what truly was chaos in getting breakfast would be for the hotel to provide a server who could fulfill coffee requirements at the tables so that the small buffet area does not become overly congested. One slow person can hold up breakfast for 40 other people. The breakfast offerings themselves, however, were quite delicious.

This is definitely a solid contender for lodging in the area.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel faces a forest and is a lot quieter than the highway side.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at Hyatt Place. It is true NJ Highways can make it very hard to get in and out of our driveway. Taking is slow is the best advise anyone can give.
I'm sorry you were in a situation that was crowded during breakfast time. We try to have large groups eat first thing in the morning when the breakfast area is not too crowded. As you can see that does not always work. I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast choices once you got to the buffet. Thank you for your recommendation of having coffee service poured. That is something we are looking into.
If I can assist you with anything else please feel free to contact me direct.

201-465-3888 X5104
Clarks Summit PA
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a bit of time finding the Hotel, but to be very Honest, it is conveniently located on major highway, close to NYC & Newark airport,. All the staff, could not have been nicer, everyone in bar, kitchen area & cleaning staff smiled & greeted us. Room was huge, Big screen TV, comfortable bed & pillows, large bathroom, separate sink outside of toilet area. - We didn't care for 1 nite stay, but if you need a fridge & microwave, they have them! Breakfast was Very accommodating, included fresh fruit, bagels, cereal, even egg muffin sandwiches which made our day a lot easier.(-Don't know what some people expect from a free continental breakfast).ideally convenient to shopping malls in area, plenty of restaurants. This hotel is also pet friendly, so if you want a lovely place to put your head for a nite or two with "Boser", then this is it.

Room Tip: For NY area couldn't have ask for a nicer Hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HyattSalesMM, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hello Beach Lovers:

On behalf of myself and the entire staff at the Hyatt Place, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I'm glad your family enjoyed there stay with us. We hope the next time you are in town you will spend more then one night. If I can do anything for you in the future please feel free to contact me direct.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I'm writing this review from my room on the night I'm staying here. I guess that gives you a bit of an idea of how bad it has been. First, it started with just trying to get to the hotel, it was damn near impossible to get to the hotel off of the highway. It's a weirdly divided highway and you have to do U-Turns to get to it and if you miss the 1 entrance you have to do 2 more U-Turns to get back to it. This is as much the fault of how the highway is designed, which I've learned that much of this area's roads are really difficult to navigate if you're not from around here. GPS doesn't help much either.

So, I eventually cut people off and jam on the brakes and make it into the parking lot, have a difficult time to find parking in a lot that seems far too small for the hotel. Get my luggage and head on in. There is a large group of folks all trying to check in. One of the employees is trying to check them in one at a time while the other employee at the front desk is talking on the phone. I get it, you get phone calls, but when there are a dozen people all trying to check in, you hurry the hell up off the phone and start helping check people in. Another employee was useless as she walked by the lobby area with a garbage bag in her hand looking into the lobby and seeing the mayhem and doing absolutely nothing. I mean, seriously she walked by with the same garbage bag in her hand 3 times. It was like she was purposely carrying the garbage around so she wouldn't have to help. It's not like she was a maintenance person or in housekeeping, you can tell because she was wearing the uniform of a front desk host at a Hyatt Place.

It was pretty ridiculous as it took nearly half an hour to check in. Again, I get it that quite a few people were checking in at once, but if everyone pitches in you can get through the rush and make customers happy. When I finally did get checked in, it was the one that was checking everyone in and she was not very friendly by this point. I finally get to my room and I thought I'd stepped into the sauna it was so hot.

Went to dinner and came back and as I was staying on the first floor at one end, I parked along the edge of the parking lot (not directly in a spot because the nearest actual spot was at the other end of the parking lot) just temporarily in order to quickly bring a few items from my car into the hotel room. An employee quickly came over to tell me I couldn't park there, not exactly in a friendly way, she was very terse in the way she told me. I let her know that I understand that and that I'm just quickly putting a few things in my room from the car. Again, "You can't park there!" Wow, great customer service once again. So, I move my car and get the rest of my stuff and go to my room.

Next, I need some ice. As I'm on the first floor there are no ice machines on this floor so you have to get ice from the bar. Well, since the service has been so good, what could go wrong? Well, of course I got the "ice machines are on the 2nd and 3rd floors" speech. I explain that I'm staying on the first floor and normally I get ice at the bar on the 1st floor. She huffs and says okay, but then proceeds to ask a few of the people at the bar to see if she could get them something before getting my ice. Nice! Again, about 10 minutes later I finally have some ice.

So far, it hasn't been a very good stay, and as a Hyatt Diamond Member, I'm not too impressed. I hope that nothing else negative happens between now and checkout in the morning.

Room Tip: If you prefer the first floor at Hyatt Place so you don't have to wait for an elevator and can c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael S
HyattSalesMM, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hello Michael:

First off, I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Place Fair Lawn/Paramus. We always strive to provide great customer service, but also understand there is always room to improve. Your feedback helps us grow and better our skills.

I am very sorry you had difficulty finding us. Driving in a new place is always difficult, especially if that place is New Jersey! I will be speaking with the staff about offering directions at time of reservation so that our guests are better prepared. I do hope that you stay with us again and I have a helpful hint for next time. If you do happen to miss the driveway, you can stay in the right hand lane which will bring you to a U-turn where you can then loop around and enter the driveway a second time.

The check-in process should be quick, friendly, informative and efficient. It sounds like we failed. Unfortunately, we do not know the arrival times of all of our guests, which can lead to a group arriving at once. This however should not lower the level of customer service our guests receive. An apology for your wait should have been issued. We will work on role playing with the front desk staff to improve their interactions in situations such as yours. As far as the staff member that was carrying a garbage bag, I can assure you that staff member would have helped you if she could. Our uniforms are very similar from department to department so I could see how it would give you that impression.

Our parking lot does fill quickly on sold out evenings. But we do have almost as many parking spots as rooms. May I suggest parking under our awning the next time you need to quickly bring things into your room. Also, we have several key-secured entrances into the hotel. One of these may have been closer to an available parking spot. But again, the service you received is not up to our standards. We must and will do better.

Lastly, you are 100% correct that the bartender should have been able to give you ice quickly and in a friendly matter. We do instruct our bartenders to offer the ice machines on the other floors in case there are several orders they are in the process of making. Once you stated you were on the first floor wanted to get ice from her, she should have immediately fulfilled your request.

We do pride ourselves on providing great customer service and I am truly sorry you did not experience that. I hope that you will stay with us again so that we may show our true hospitality to you. Again, thank you for feedback. Please feel free to contact me with any additional comments or questions.

201-475-3888 X5104
Kim.klapper@hyatt.com
Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel was very accomodating to us with having our families room near each other. Special requests for cribs were fulfilled without a problem. Conviently located to great shopping, restuarants and NYC. Only advice is to ask for a room away from the elevator because the tile flooring between our door and the elevator created a lot of noise. Great breakfast included with rooom and staff was wonderful.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HyattSalesMM, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
It is wonderful to hear you and your family had a good stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you and your family memebers in the future. If I can assist you with anything moving forward please feel free to contact me direct.

Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Someone said the breakfast wasn't so great ..... needs his/her head examined ... never had the "included" breakfast any better than at this hotel. Loved the room and the bed was super comfortable ... staff was friendly and the rate was fair. Had no refrig in the first room so they changed it. The noise from the hiway put me to sleep ...Need quiet .... get in the back rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian D
Hello Brian:

Thanks you for your reveiw. I'm happy to hear your stay at Hyatt Place was enjoyable. Please let me know if we can assist you with anything when booking our hotel in the future. Your business means everything to us.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel several times now. This was the first time I stayed in a room in the front of the hotel facing the highway. The noise level was distracting and not conducive to sleeping when the trucks lay on their horns. We requested a move across the hall and we're accommodated right away. The staff moved our luggage to the new room while away at work and made sure the dry cleaning was delivered to the new room.

The free breakfast was good but not great. The rooms are well laid out and comfortable. The location is convenient to everywhere in the area, being at the nexus of routes 4, 17, 208, and the Garden State Parkway.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Charles W
Hello Charles:
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I happy the hotel staff was able to accomodate your request for a room facing the back of the hotel. Accomodating our guests is always our number one priority. Please tell me what is about the breakfast that you wer not satisfied with. Hyatt Place always wants to make sure we have enough choices to please everyone. That is why we give our guests a choice of hot breakfast sandwiches. Pancakes, French toast or waffles as well as a choice of hot and cold cereals and an assortment of breakfast pastries and breads.
Please contact me direct to talk about any meal needs you may have for your next visit.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fair Lawn
#2 of 3 in Saddle Brook
Saddle Brook Marriott
Saddle Brook Marriott
#1 of 3 in Saddle Brook

Been to Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus? Share your experiences!