“Needs attention to detail”

Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fair Lawn
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We found the staff here to be very friendly, but not as knowledable as they should be. I agree that the rooms need some attention, especially the bathrooms. We, too, had trouble with the toilet running until you fiddled with the handle. The grout around the tub needed to be replaced. Carpeting looked fine, but had considerable stains. Seems like housekeeping should take care of stains on a daily basis as they appear. The rooms are large and we liked the sink outside the bathroom. The flat screen TV was large but kept losing the satellite signal. The pool was nice and warm and enjoyed very much. We were happy to have the exercise room. Overall a good experience, but would have liked the room to have a cleaner look to it. The breakfast is okay, but nothing special. Silverware was dotted with stains and some food residues. I just think this hotel needs a complete makeover for cleanlinees issues. Be careful what you pay for this hotel. For a good deal it is okay. If you are paying rack rates, it is overpriced. As mentioned it is easy to drive by. Have some good maps with you and do understand NJ U-turns.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed at this Hyatt Place the night before we were going into NYC. While it is true that, if you're not looking for the hotel, you may miss it, but I'm not sure that's the hotel's problem!
When we arrived, a young lady by the name of Brianna helped us. Since we had not stayed there before, she explained the services that were available and showed us where everything was. When we came back to the hotel later that night after dinner, I needed some Chapstick in the worst way. There is no gift shop at the Hyatt Place and there was no drugstore close by. Brianna told me that she had just purchased some Chapstick and it was still unopened. She went into the office and came back with a brand new tube for me! I offered to pay her, but she would absolutely not accept any money from me. Both girls at the front desk were more than helpful.
The room was nice enough. It was clean and spacious. The bed was amazing. The shower was a bit claustrophobic, but all I needed to do was take a shower! I will say that the traffic noise from outside was pretty loud throughout the night.
Breakfast was to be served starting at 6:00, but when we went downstairs at 5:30, the buffet was all ready. A nice woman by the name of Claire gave us a traffic report. She was very kind we felt like we had found a new friend. The breakfast isn't anything special, but it's FREE. Cereal, bagels, toast, biscuits and gravy and juices are in abundance.
We got the hotel on Priceline at a steal of a price. I cannot imagaine what all the complaints are about! I would absolutely stay here again, if nothing more than they have a great staff who made our stay really, really nice.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GRAMMY911NewYork
Reviewed April 14, 2011

If you need a place to stay at night that is clean this will suffice. Don't expect anything like a Hyatt Place as far as amenities or services. It is bare bones, the rooms are nice, they have big flat screens, sort of Asian inspiration design in the room.

Hard to get off the turnpike, I ended up all the way to Hackensack and had to turn around before I figured out you could not make a left. If heading in the NY direction, you must make a right when you get there to actually go left(they way you would want to go), and make a U-turn to get there. Everything is U-turns around there.

It is close to the Paramus mall so lots of shopping and eating options in the general area. I had a hard time finding a decent liquor store in the area but there is a restaurant you can kind of walk/drive to right next door to the hotel that has food/drinks. I didn't eat there but stopped for a glass of wine.

If you are getting this for a good value, it is worth the stay. The gym is lousy, I don't believe there is a pool? At least, if there was one, I didn't see it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Nice enough business hotel (clean, nice bed, etc.). Somewhat difficult to get to off of the turnpike, but otherwise it's in a nice area. The only concern I had was coming in Saturday evening and getting off the elevator. A security guard was standing there. When I asked why she was there, she said there was a party on that floor and she was to make sure it didn't get out of control. She said that the guards were frequently at that hotel. I was at the other end of the hall and was never bothered by any noise that night. It's just a little disconcerting about the need for security officers. A very good breakfast on site, but numerous children and family members. When I say numerous, I mean 8-10 kids with 1 or 2 adults and it was clear that not all the kids belonged to those adults.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2010

We have stayed at two other HP's and found them to be comfortable but Hyatt Place Fair Lawn/Paramus is way below Hyatt Place standards.
The bed was comfortable enough and the room had the 'standard' Hyatt Place layout which is a little goofy for 2 people but serviceable enough.
On arrival we were given a room which reeked of 'smoke cover up spray' and our smoke allergies kicked in immediately...they gave us a new room quickly enough but Hyatt should know better than to reuse these rooms before they don't smell.
In the new room, the A/C system was very loud, the bathroom was in bad shape (the only reason the door opened was that the toilet was shifted so that it was not straight, the bathroom fan was outrageously loud, and the toilet was broken and ran constantly unless you fiddled with the handle.
And as for the location, good luck even getting to the hotel which is a hard right turn into a badly lit driveway from a road on which cars drive 50+ mph. If you miss the entrance you have to drive about 2 miles to get back to it and the route is not at all obvious. Getting back out onto the incredibly busy road is a 'gun it and pray' maneuver. Apparently, New Jersey planning boards will allow anything and Hyatt took advantage with this entrance.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2010

My husband and I always try to stay in a Hyatt because they are so well run and maintained. The Fairlawn Hyatt Place is the exception. We stayed here a year ago and were unimpressed, particularly with the cold check-in agent, but we decided to give it another try. It's gotten much worse! We called ahead to ask what exit to use off the Garden State (MapQuest and our nav disagreed), but the agent said he didn't know. We asked him to check and after several minutes he came back on the line and gave us the wrong exit (off by 16!). After we checked in, I went online and was brought to the hotel's website. So I checked the AAA price for that night and it was significantly cheaper than we had booked. I called the front desk to ask for the cheaper rate and they said they had to honor the higher rate we booked at. I went down to the front desk and pointed out that if I came in off the street and asked for the AAA rate, I would I get that lower rate. They wouldn't budge. I pointed out that my husband has been a platinum Hyatt member for many years. Didn't matter. It was only after several minutes of arguing that the manager lowered the rate as a courtesy.

The room was a in bad shape. The toilet seat and handle were broken -- the seat was actually unattached -- broken off the hinge and just placed on top of the bowl. (Shouldn't the maid have reported this -- or did she even clean the bathroom? I didn't bother to call the front desk because I didn't want to deal with them again.) The bathroom fan sounded like a jet engine, but at least it blocked out the noise form the toilet running. All the wood veneers were scratched. The pillows on the couch were stained. The walls are paper thin -- we heard all of SNL even though we didn't have our tv on! ... I could go on, but you get the point. One more thing -- the continental breakfast is done as cheaply as possible. Even the cereal tasted stale.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paula R
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Did not appreciate arriving at the hotel after 9PM not to find anyone at the reservation desk. The agent was socializing and serving wine to guests who already had their rooms and were relaxing. I let the agent know that I was waiting to check in and she replied that I would have to wait. She never looked in my direction and could have cared less that I was exhausted. After several minutes a young man who was also a host assigned my room and gave me a key. Traveling extensively, this bad experience was a first.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Paramus
Crowne Plaza - Saddle Brook
Crowne Plaza - Saddle Brook
#2 of 3 in Saddle Brook

Been to Hyatt Place Fair Lawn Paramus? Share your experiences!