“Shocked at being a Marriott!”

Courtyard Ewing Princeton
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was at this location for 3 nights and was very surprised at what I found. Reading some of the other reviews, maybe I just got "one of those rooms". One of the first things I do when getting to my room is to open the drapes and see what kind of view I have. The drapes wouldn't open, they were stuck on the tracks. When I finally got one side opened, I found extremely dirty windows with a filthy balcony area full of bugs. There was a big spider in between the screen and window. There was hair in the bathtub, and the bathroom floor had dirty toe prints on it. The coffee pot was broken at the top (they replaced that when I left a note) and the carpets were stained. When I went to take a shower, I couldn't get any hot water - just luke warm, but the hot water in the sink was scalding hot. I usually stay at Marriotts, but was asking myself "where am I??" One good thing is there was a young lady at the front desk in the afternoons who was very friendly and caring - really wanted to take care of the guests. She belongs at another Marriott! The food was OK, but the girl who was taking orders could have been a little more friendly....didn't see her smile once...All in all - not a great experience and I wouldn't stay here again. Will look for another hotel next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Tiffany W, General Manager at Courtyard Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Ms. Jackie,

I just wanted to apologize for the experience you had at the Courtyard Ewing. We pride ourselves in having the best service in the area and it seems we fell short when it came to your stay. I have showed your comments to our Housekeeping Manager and Room Attendants in order that situations like this do not occur again. You mentioned that you would not stay with us again if you were in the area but if you do happen to change your mind please feel free to call or email me so that I will be able to make sure you are well taken care of. I thank you for your comments and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was put up here for a week during a business trip and was pleasantly surprised. My room on the fifth floor was very comfortable and incredibly quiet. There was no traffic noise from the surrounding areas. The housekeepers could have been a bit more attentive to a few areas (toothpaste "spray" in the bathroom, handprints all over the headboard of one of the beds). However, I was very happy that the air conditioning unit seemed pretty clean and quiet enough. Speedy wifi with no problems and decent cable on really nice brand new flat screen televisions. There's nothing within walking distance, unfortunately and the hotel shuttle (which will do drop-offs/pick-ups within a five mile radius) only runs until 9 p.m. So, if you don't have a car and if you want to eat at somewhere other than the cafe in the lobby at dinner time, plan ahead. (Princeton is a quick 15-20 minute drive from the hotel and has some great choices if you have a car.) The hotel cafe/restaurant food is bad, bordering on terrible, and overpriced, so don't bother. But, overall, this was a good place to rest up in the evenings due to the quiet surroundings and comfortable beds.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Tiffany W, General Manager at Courtyard Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback about the Courtyard Ewing. We are always looking for ways to improve and comments like yours helps us see what areas we need to focus on. I do apologize that you weren't satisfied with our restaurant, The Bistro. We have recently added new menu items and have focused on improving guest satisfaction with in the Bistro so I hope that next time you stay with us you choose to give it another shot. Thank you again for your comments and I hope you have a great day!

Tiffany

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Excellent hotel in all ways. Loved the room, the location (only 3 miles from where I had business at The College of New Jersey), the staff. I'm 101% satisfied. Others have noted that the entrance is a little strange, but it's not the hotel's fault. It's one of those situations where NO left turns are allowed, so you have to turn RIGHT then double back to turn LEFT. I ran into this once before in California and Vermont. (We don't have this in Florida to the best of my knowledge.) In any case, it IS marked, but it's a little confusing the first time. The hotel is great!

Room Tip: 5 floors..... Some rooms have balconies... semi-enclosed so you can't see your neighbors ever an...

Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! I couldn't be happier to hear that you had such a great stay at the Courtyard Ewing! We are always striving to provide the best service and comments like yours lets us know that we are achieving that. We look forward to having you as our guest again the next time you're in the area!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

No problem with the room accommodations, clean and comfortable, but was looking forward to a nice breakfast. I thought The prices of the breakfast items were steep at this restaurant(I am use to a complimentary breakfast included in the room price, so this was disappointing), What made it worse, was,I purchased the pricey Starbucks coffee and I didn't realize there was COMPLIMENTARY coffee, located BEHIND a solid wall, hidden from view. Actually, I heard a lot of other guests, saying the exact same thing, that they didn't know there was any free coffee available.I Suggestion: Just make a sign on this solid wall, stating, complimentary coffee on OTHER side. This would make it more hospitable for your guests. They can then choose free coffee or Starbucks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words about the hotel as well as your suggestions about the sign for the complimentary coffe. I will definitely look into putting a sign out at the front to inform guests about the complimentary coffee being it is a bit hidden behind our Go Board. Thank you again and I hope you choose to stay with us next time you are in the area!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here for TriState Lacrosse Tournament (2012). It's about 15-minutes to the fields and very convenient - when compared to other horrors around town. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are all updated. TV is small (so what). Free wifi that really works. Breakfast buffet is better than most. The biggest drawback is that there is almost nothing around. No restaurants, no shops, no mall within miles - it's a serious car ride to get anything.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Greetings!

Thank you very much for the wonderful comments about the Courtyard Ewing! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us while visitng the area for the TriState Lacrosse Tournament. We always enjoy that time of the year when we get to have guests from the tournament stay with us. Even though it may seem we are far from everything, there are many fun and family-oriented attractions near by. Sesame Place, Washingtons Crossings, New Hope and Princeton are just a few of the places that are with in ten minutes from us and hopefully the next time you stay with us you will be able to visit them. Thank you again for the comments and we look forward to having you as our guest again!

Tiffany

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Upon arriving at the room, I would say that the rooms at this Courtyard are very well decorated. The furniture is very modern, and the bed is clean and comfortable. The thing that I would say that brings this to a 4 star review instead of a 5 though, is that the A/C unit was very dirty. It had dust everywhere inside it, and even at least 3 large dead moths. I didn't want to turn on that A/C unit and have the dust blowing everywhere inside the room. Now, I did let the front desk know, and the very next day they cleaned it out. I appreciate them taking care of the issue quickly, but after closer inspection, they basically got some of the dust on the floor next to the unit, and that part wasn't vacuumed. Also, it appeared they had just dumped all that dust into the toilet, and didn't flush the toilet since it was all still there. Note that I had stayed here twice, and the dirty A/C unit was just an issue in one of the rooms. However, something that I noted regardless of the room is that later at night, the water can take a long time to warm up if you want to take a shower. In both the rooms I've stayed in, it can take 5 to 10 minutes before the water is a comfortable temperature. Also, housekeeping is a bit inconsistent when providing the bath items. Sometimes the bar of soap is missing, sometimes the shampoo is missing, and sometimes a towel or two is missing.

The rest of the stay was fine. They don't have complimentary breakfast (you have to pay for it), but they do have a happy hour on Tuesday and Wednesday where beer and wine is free for that hour, so that part's nice. Again, the rooms are very nice, and the front desk staff do their best to take care of any issues. Overall I would give this Courtyard 4 stars.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments about the Courtyard Ewing. I apologize for the issues you had with your room and I will make sure that the housekeeping staff is consistant when providing amenities for the guests. I appreciate the wonderful comments about the hotel layout as well as the staff. We look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed in this hotel in as part of a group of wedding guests and found it to be very good. The rooms were clean and well furnished with a TV, coffee maker, fridge, ironing board etc. The staff were extremely polite and made us feel very welcome. The hotel has a pool, whirlpool spa and fitness centre, all of which hotel guests can use for free. The hotel serves breakfast and this was really good, with a wide selection and resonable prices. There is also a well stocked 'market' in the hotel in which you can buy drinks and snacks. The only downside is the location, as the hotel is not actually in Ewing and is not really within walking distance. To get to Ewing, Trenton, Princeton or Philadelphia the only option is to get a taxi, which is expensive. However the plus side to the location is that the area around the hotel is very quiet at night. The hotel itself was very good and we would return if we needed to stay in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Greetings!

Thank you so much for the kind words about the Courtyard Ewing/Hopewell. I'm so happy to hear you were able to enjoy the many amenities we offer at the hotel. I'm sorry to hear that the location of the hotel didn't quite suit your needs. We actually are located in the town of Ewing, however we are just a mile or two away from the downtown area. It may seem like we are off the beaten path but there are so many wonderful places to visit all with in a 10 mile radius (Sesame Place, Princenton, New Hope, Washington Crossings, etc.).

Thank you again for the wonderful comments and we look forward to having you as our guest the next time you are in the area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewing
Element Ewing Princeton
The Lambertville House Hotel
The Lambertville House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lambertville
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village

Been to Courtyard Ewing Princeton? Share your experiences!