“Fantastic, authentic Hungarian fare!”

Barbara's Hungarian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 80 Restaurants in Ewing
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My sister-in-law suggested we drive from Chester Co. PA to join her for dinner at Barbara's. It was worth the drive. We are all chicken paprikash fanatics, and their version was delicious. The portions were huge - in fact, everyone walked away with leftovers for today's lunch except my husband. All other patrons aside from us were speaking in native Hungarian... very fun! I married into the Hungarian tradition - but would highly recommend you try it even if you are not born into it!

We will definitely be back!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I read the reviews and Barbara's did not disappoint. The red cabbage was out of the world. Also had the stuffed cabbage and the Hungarian goulash - both outstanding. The atmosphere was clean and homey. The menu was not fancy or overwhelming, just good home-cooked food. I want to go back and try everything on the menu! The portions are large enough for everyone in the party to order something different and share.

1  Thank Larry46713
Reviewed April 11, 2013

OK - Let me start off by saying that if you are looking for gourmet dining, than you're in the wrong place. But if you're looking for a really good inexpensive dining experience, than Barbara's is a nice find. It's literally a mom and pop operation and you get the feeling that an old Hungarian couple invited you over for dinner at their home. The kitchen even looks more like a home kitchen than a standard restaurant one. The owner recommended an appetizer special for my group to share. It was some sort of cauliflower casserole, and while cauliflower isn't really my thing it was pretty darn good. All the entrees were very good and plentiful - we all took leftovers home. I'm not at all Hungarian, so I can't vouch for the authenticity of the food - all I can say is we all enjoyed it very much.

1  Thank fluges
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here on April 07, 2013.I am Hungarian so take it from one who knows, the food is SUPERB!

It reminded me of my moms' home cooking. We will be back.

1  Thank HelenLF_10308
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My wife (who is Hungarian) and I went there for dinner as there aren't as many Hungarian restaurants in the NYC area anymore. Saw the reviews on Google and decided to give it a shot. It's approximately an hours drive from NYC, but well worth the trip. The food is fresh, never frozen, prepared that day. And you can tell. My wifed had the Chicken Paprika with noodles and I had Beef Goulash with noodles. The portions are good, so much so I couldn't finish. We did leave room for desert: palacsinta (crepes) and strudel.
Prices are very reasonable, service was excellent and the food is fantastic!

One word of caution: make reservations for Saturday night ( Barbara told us this). The restaurant closes at 9pm, so for an early dinner its nice.