“Friend Recommended”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had never been there but a friend asked me to join her for lunch there. We both had tuna salad and iced tea. The service was very prompt. I was quite pleased with the portions and the taste.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Haven't been since they moved from The Burg in Trenton. The atmosphere was a bit loud but not uncomfortably so. We were a party of 6, 2 of whom were children; seated in the back of the restaurant. Fried calamari was lightly battered, hot and tender; not over-cooked or too crunchy. Dinner was excellent. All entrees were prepared well and served hot. Pasta cooked a bit beyond al dente but very good. Sauces were flavorful. An overall good meal at a good price.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We went to Sal's for a catered affair. We were given four choices, and the members of our party gave thumbs up to all of them.
My Boston Scrod was very nicely prepared, and the portion was generous. A side of pasta with Pancetta was delightful.
The wait staff was polite and accommodating.
My wife and I agreed that a return visit will be in order.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I remember Sal's from their original roots in Chambersburg, Trenton's 'Little Italy'. When the city got too dangerous for suburbanites to enjoy the great restaurants, the good ones moved and I'm happy that Sal's picked my neighborhood for its new home. When they first opened in Ewing in 2007, things were a bit uneven, ( my lasagna arrived with the center still frozen) but we've been there a dozen times in the last year or so, usually brining friends along who have really enjoyed the experience.

We've become fans of the seasoned chicken on the bone for it's great taste and relatively low calorie content. It's a great way to enjoy a traditional Italian meal and not leave feeling like an overstuffed sausage. Of course, you could easily eat an entire basket of their bread..... On our last visit, we had mussels fra diavlo, and eggplant rollanti appetizers and both were good. Our friends had the pasta with sausage and a chicken special and were really pleased.

When they're busy it can get loud, and even if you ask for a relatively quiet table, it may be hard to come by. Make a reservation, bring your own wine and enjoy.

1  Thank Rosetwig
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Ever since Sal Deforte's moved out of Chambersburg in Trenton, Sal Deforte's has hit rock bottom. The place is a disaster waiting to happen. The place is dark, the food is not like what it used to be when it was in Chanbersburg, and the staff is lacking enthusiasm.