“Hip, casual, and comfortable.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Element Ewing Princeton

Element Ewing Princeton
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
DC, USA
“Hip, casual, and comfortable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

We happened upon this hotel by accident. I really like it. It's like the wiser, more sophisticated, but more suburban older sister of Aloft's (also in the Starwood group). No doubt that's what they were aiming for. It has the same contemporary finishes and space planning of an Aloft. The rooms have a very nicely designed kitchenette, so in a sense it's more like a loft than an Aloft room. Unlike her hard-partying younger sister, Element does not have pool tables, a lobby bar, or funky IKEA-like outdoor loungers. Instead, she has mid-century inspired furniture, a more practical business area, and a sundry store where guests can buy a TV dinner and a bottle of wine to enjoy up in their rooms. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This is also my first time in a hotel where "green" is a pretty aggressive part of its branding. My card key has a drawing of a bicycle on it. "Ride!" it says. "You got it!" I said to the card key. Books scattered about the lobby lounge have titles like "New Sustainable Home Designs" and "365 Ways to Save the Earth". But Element is too classy a hostess to be tyrannical about it. She stops short of stocking only toilet paper with 100% recycled content, and the Nissan Pathfinder parked in the space designated for fuel-efficient and low-emitting vehicles was there the whole weekend without being towed.

Joking aside, the property is clean and well maintained. The fitness center actually has machines you'd find in an up-to-date gym. The pool is small but the hot tub is a nice feature and the translucent roof makes the space airy and bright. The staff is still figuring things out but is not incompetent or unfriendly. The breakfast buffet had only sandwiches with eggs, cheese, and ham. They were happy to make one for us without ham when we asked.

The biggest bonus for us is that they don't charge a pet fee. We initially looked at hotels in the area that were cheaper. But because they charged a pet fee of either $50/stay or $20/night, it puts them within the price range of the Element. Though I am disappointed, now that I've read others' reviews, that we weren't offered a dog bed and no one told us about the Wii, I'm still glad we booked here instead.

1 Thank Earthan
elementewing, Assistant General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Thank you so much for your honest response. When the hotel is aware that a dog will be joining us, or if a guest lets us know at check in, we make sure to provide the appropriate pet amenities. In regards to the Pathfinder, thank you informing us about it. We are doing a much better job watching those spaces and placing notes on vehicles that are not considered hybrid/electric cars. Thank you again for the great comments and I truly hope you choose Element again if you ever back in town!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
hopewell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I can't say enough great things about this hotel. The room was stylish and immaculately clean. Full kitchen stocked with everything you could need.
Best of all, I brought my dog and he was greeted with his very own bag of treats and his own huge dog bed.
All in all A+. Highly recommended

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are proud and happy to welcome our four legged guests to the Element. I am happy that your dog enjoyed his stay with us just as much as you did. We hope if your in the area again, that you and your little buddy choose the Element for your visit! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

The hotel just opened in January. Obviously, it is one in the expanding chain of Elements; reasonably priced and eco-friendly hotels. We booked a king for $109 at the last minute. Great room, very clean. Very comfortable bed. Nice fitness room with modern equipment. Substantial free breakfast. Staff was terrific. Location is convenient to Trenton and Princeton, and just 90 minutes to NYC. This is the second Element we have stayed in and they are much better than the competition in this price range/niche.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank your the great review of the property! The Element is a great brand and we are proud to have brought it to the Ewing area. Thank you again and we hope that you will be our guest again in the future!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

I stayed at the Element hotel from February 9 - 11, 2010. I was traveling for business. There were 5 of us staying there. I flew into PHL and it was an easy commute with my rental car. The hotel is just of the I 95. I did think that they didn't have a lot of parking.

Check in was easy. My reservation was paid ahead of time through corporate travel so all I needed to do was give a credit card for incidentals and get my key. I was on the 2nd floor room 224. It's a bit far from the elevator but that was a good thing because you can hear the elevator binging every time it gets to the floor. I can't imagine being any closer to the elevator.

The room was GREAT! Loved it. Big, amenities everywhere, every bell and whistle. Things I noticed were the blinds were hard to pull open, the TV would swivel but sometimes rotate back on its own, there's no clock radio just an alarm clock that could wake the dead, the sink is centered on the bathroom counter and if you have a ton of stuff to get ready, it can be inconvenient, there's no place to hang a towel just outside the shower, the water pressure was not good at all, and it took a while for the water to heat up.

Other things you should know...this hotel has no restaurant. They have continental breakfast with breakfast sandwiches and happy hour with snacks in the afternoon. We were there during the BIG snowstorm that hit NJ and PA and we spent 48 hours there without being able to leave. We relied on items we purchased at the grocery store before the snow hit, Chinese delivery and items from the hotel Pantry. When the snow finally ended there was 2 feet of snow on top of everything. They did have a snow removal company plowing the driveway but the cars were still buried. I had to dig out my own car. The TV programming is Direct TV but I could never get a guide to show so I never knew what was on. I just flipped channels randomly.

Things I loved: The bed, bedding, sectional couch, individual temp control, the single cup coffee maker, wireless internet, large closet, the recycle bin in each room, the magnet on the door for the do not disturb sign, the microwave, and the ice cream from the Pantry.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I'm sure that as they get into their groove, it will only get better.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the great comments! Yes, we did have some kinks to work out and I'm happy to say they have been. Since we do have satellite TV, heavy snow can cause service issues but as soon as it was safe to reach the roof, the issues were corrected. Thank you again for the comments and I'm hope that you can experience the Element Ewing/Hopewell on a snow free stay!

Beaverton, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

Westin has brought it's green-concept hotel to Ewing, a small town about 40 mins north of Philadelphia right off I-95 and across from the private-aviation only Trenton-Mercer airport. I have become a big fan of Element hotels, with this being my 4th Element I've experienced around the country (out of 7 currently open as of Feb 2010).

I wish, and hope, that Westin/Starwood opens a lot more of these suite/extended-stay hotels, because there is nothing like it in the marketplace, and they are markedly different - and better - than hotels in the same category such as Staybridge Suites, Homewood Suites and Residence Inn.

I was first attracted by the green building and business practices, such as recycle bins in the guest rooms, no paper statements/bills issued unless requested, no-saline chemicals in the pool, bamboo-flooring, parking spaces for hybrid vehicles, etc. That did not disappoint, but the consistently excellent customer service, room styles and amenities, cleanliness, property amenities and overall property layout has caused me to get excited for the first time in a long time about a new hotel brand/chain.

This hotel: for starters, it is located easily off I-95 in a quiet wooded area where you do not hear the 95 traffic or the airport traffic. While it partly looks out onto a NJ state department of transportation yard, it is a very quiet and relaxing place for an extended stay. I spent 4 nights during the week, and wished I could have stayed longer. The lone drawback is there are no restaurants or shopping nearby - all of that is about 15 minutes up the highway in Princeton. But there is supermarktet, CVS, Dunkin Donuts, 5 Guys burger joint and other small local restaurants and businesses a few minutes away, and it's 5 minutes to the College of New Jersey campus.

The lobby as you enter is spacious, with an open layout with lots of seating on modern couches and tables/chairs, great for relaxing and watching TV on the flat screens, playing some Wii (which they have a library of 25 games to check out), grabbing a glass of wine or appetizers at the evening reception, or just relaxing and chatting with fellow travelers. There's a station of 3 computers with Internet, then a very large, modern and well equipped fitness center, a modest indoor pool and jacuzzi, and meeting space. The decor is ultra modern and green-friendly, with large windows that let in lots of light - very un-hotel-like, which is a good thing and you feel like you might be in an exclusive club rather than a hotel.

The room I always stay in is the king studio, very spacious with many unique amenities: large L-shaped sectional couch, Westin Heavenly Bed, ergonomic work chair and desk, flat-screen TV, plug-in box for your iPod, video or camera to hear/view your media on the TV, a modern and well-stocked kitchen (no oven), partial bamboo flooring and carpeted sections, spacious bathroom with spa shower. All immaculately clean, well kept and very home-like.

The evening reception from 6-7:30 Mon-Thurs is a treat after a long work day, always with a lovely and friendly host. Then in the morning the area becomes a breakfast haven with healthy and fresh-prepared products by the resident chef (breakfast sandwiches on large pretzels, for example, and an espresso machine for guests' use).

One of the things that sets this hotel apart is its staff - friendly, welcoming, engaging, from the front desk staff to the managers, housekeepers and maintenance personnel. They all seem to know what quality hospitality is, and quickly and professionally address any problems or concerns. I've found this to be pretty well consistent across the Element brand.

So, not only am I a fan, but I give this hotel a huge thumbs up and highly recommend it to other travelers. Would be a good base for visiting Philadelphia, away from the hustle-bustle of the city and high-priced hotels. Stay here - you'll be glad you did and become an Element fan just like I am.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words and comments about our hotel. We are very proud of the Element and I'm very happy to hear you had a great stay with us. I know that this will be the first of many great reviews for the Element Ewing/Hopewell. Thank you again!

Assistant General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewing
SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Hyatt Place Princeton
Hyatt Place Princeton
#6 of 15 in Princeton
The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village

Been to Element Ewing Princeton? Share your experiences!