Element Ewing Princeton
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I agree with all the other travellers, the place is very clean and comfortable. The breakfast is very good as well, but we stayed for two nights, the room wasn't cleaned for the second day. When we called front desk, they didn't even offer to clean the room, only took out trash as there was only one person at front desk. They did not even feel sorry about it and kept asking whether we had the do not disturb sign on. I did not use the sign at all, what happened was that when house keeping came by, I was feeding my baby and asked her to come back at 5 which she didn't. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Lori S, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear JackiezZZZZ,
Thank you for sharing your review. I apologize that your room was not serviced the 2nd day and we did not handle this situation well. We should have had your room serviced as requested and encourage you to reach out to me directly @ lori.simpson@hhmlp.com.
I would really like to see you return again and live up to the 5 star potential.
I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 5/26-5/28 and was pleasantly surprised by all that it offered. The hotel offers tremendous value -- big expansive rooms, free breakfast, lots of amenities and it is very modern. Staff was warm and friendly, and very helpful with special requests. We stayed in a studio room, which was huge with high ceilings, very modern, free fast wifi (so rare these days), very modern bathroom, a nice living area with pull out couch, a full kitchen area and a comfortable Heavenly bed. The lobby was clean and inviting, and much different than a regular hotel. The pool area was large (indoor) and clean. Workout room was enormous for this size hotel with a ton of equipment. My only complaints were that the room was not totally clean when we checked in (uneaten cookies on the chair, crumbs near the side of the bed, and the hallways needed to be vacuumed badly). Also, breakfast was a bit of a disappointment, and was not constantly stocked. Its not really a hot breakfast as they only have a few egg sandwiches in addition to the regular continental breakfast stuff. However, despite those minor issues, the hotel still offered great value, overall was very clean and modern, and had a great staff. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The basic studio offers great value - excellent price for a room that offers much much more than a s...
1  Thank WDWFan1977
Lori S, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear WDWFan1977,
Thank you for your great recommendation! Our staff really gets excited to hear when we exceed expectations!
I have shared your concerns with housekeeping team and attention to detail is so important to us and our guests. We have a few new ladies in training and will work hard to make sure that we always deliver impeccably clean in all aspects.
We are gald that you chose the Element Ewing Princeton and hope any future travels to the area bring you back to our hotel. Thank you!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed two nights in May of 2013. This Element follows the premise of being eco-friendly, with the now typical lower intensity fluorescent lighting, towel replacement only when left on the floor, and the use of recyclables whenever possible approach, plus the addition of special parking spots near the hotel entrance for those with hybrid or electric vehicles (no charging station, just closer spots). In this, the hotel is no different than any others in the area, with the exception of the parking spots, which are not enforced and filled with non-hybrids and non-electrics all the time. As such, the eco-friendly theme, while commendable, is no more than a marketing statement that provides no real differential. This does not detract or add to the rating.

The rooms are spacious. Within one common area, there are a refrigerator, microwave, and stovetop, with place settings for four people. They were all clean and neatly kept. However, there is no table to eat on, other than a small coffee table or the standard room desk. Also in the common area are a king bed or two queen beds, with a comfortable mattress (neither stiff nor soft), a small sofa, and the aforementioned coffee table and desk, on which a small flat screen TV sits. The bathroom is quite large, with a glass enclosed, see through shower that has a shower wand as well as a shower head to select from. Water pressure was strong, and the water temperature was consistent. The wash basin is of the short depth models, so it is prone to splash. The shower door had some mold along the bottom seal, but the rest of the shower was very clean as was the rest of the bathroom. The room is carpeted where the beds are, and has linoleum where the cooking portion is. The rooms have an ironing board, safe, and hair dryer.

Be advised: the hotel is square shaped, and the elevators are essentially on the edge of one of the sides of the square. For most rooms you will walk about 30 meters from the elevator. The one I was in was the furthest from the elevator and it felt close to 75. Also, and the reason for a four star instead of a five star review, is that the temperature controls seem to do nothing within a large range. I set them between 67F and 74F and felt no discernible difference; then as the night progressed the heating/cooling unit seemed unable to maintain a given temperature, getting too cold unless I bumped the temperature up four degrees, and then too warm unless I turned it down those same four degrees.

The hotel includes a limited buffet breakfast with the rate. The buffet items were fresh. Fruits, yogurts, pastries, and juices were offered, and there was a warm egg and spinach or egg and ham sandwich available, which was tasty. There is also the usual bagel warmer / toaster. No other hot items were presented. For a quick bite it works well. There are no other food offerings in the hotel, as it does not have a dining area (or apparently a kitchen, for that matter). There is a small pantry from where one may purchase snacks or soft drinks, but they can be pricey: about three dollars for a bottle of water or soda, with tax.

The location is a bit out there. While close to the Trenton airport, you will need a car to get around anywhere, and you will be about 15 minutes from Princeton without traffic, which is where I was headed. Room prices can be a steal - around $120 when prepaid - or can be as expensive as other hotels closer to where you may be - about $165 to $199. Shop around. If you are going to Princeton you may find a $159 rate at the Doubletree or Hyatt Place, both good hotels in the Princeton area.

1  Thank BallenitaAzul

Dear BallenitaAzul,
I was impressed with your thorough review! Thank you for sharing your feedback about your visit.
The Element is Silver Leed Certified and we have many practices from our renewable energy consumption, water efficient fixtures, use of natural light and CFL/LED lighting. We have signage in our parking lot and clearly marked spots for low emitting fuel vehicles and the electric charging station. Our staff tries to make sure our guests are aware of this feature but it can be a challenge as we do not have a parking attendant. We will continue to work on this.
I will share all of your feedback with our team and we hope to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I always stay here when visiting our NJ office. The room is always very clean and well appointed; I never have to ask for anything.

Lately, tho, the air conditioning/room temp is difficult to control. The thermostat reads one thing yet it clearly isn't cooling down to that temperature.

The lobby area looks very stark lately; all the decorative items have been removed from the space. The offerings at the "manager's reception" at night is getting sparser, as are the breakfast items. There really are no options for food at this hotel, so these items become vitally important to your stay as a business traveler.

Still, the value (through a corporate rate) and comfortable room and beds make this an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a lower floor; the air conditioning works better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Lori S, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Up4travel,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel and recommendation. We do have a rotational menu for both the relax receptions Monday-Thursday evenings and breakfast daily. We should always have the brand required offerings and would love for you to reach out to me directly so I can do some further research to look at your recent stays and see where we fallen short. We are in process currently of updating some of our lobby accessories and appreciate your candid feedback.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me @lori.simpson@hhmlp.com.
Thank you!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My son recently graduated from TCNJ and we chose Element as our hotel for 2 nights. We had two rooms, one for our two sons and one for us. We chose the hotel for it's proximity to the college, the membership points and for the whole "green" concept. It is a Leed certified hotel and offers a place to plug in your electric automobile, if you have one.
Check in was easy. It was about 9 pm, there was one person checking in before us, no more than a 3 minute wait. Matt, at the check in desk was cordial and pleasant. The hotel was sold out and although we had a king without a full kitchen reserved, Matt asked us if we wanted to upgrade to a 2 queen with a full kitchen. We declined, because we really wanted the king bed (our boys had 2 queens with a full kitchen and we knew they would not be using the kitchen and neither would we). A few minutes later, Matt stated that there were no regular king rooms left and that he would have to upgrade us to a king with a full kitchen at no charge. Ok, that worked out nicely.
The room is nicely done, in my opinion. It is a little minimalist, but has clean lines and is pretty modern looking. The bed is extremely comfortable. The kitchen is a full kitchen with everything you would need, especially if you were staying for more than a few nights and wanted to cook some of your own meals. There is a full size refrigerator and dishwasher, along with a microwave and 2 electric burners. Plates, silverware, glassware, coffeemaker, etc.
The bathroom is very nice (although only had one sink), with a lot of counter space and a very spacious shower. The toilet has two settings for a full or partial flush...good idea.
Breakfast was decent, with very good coffee, different hot sandwiches each day, yogurt, fruit, toast, cereal, juice, etc. Not too bad at all.
There are bikes to take out, if you want to take a ride, which was a nice touch.
The reasons it gets a 4 instead of a five are as follows. Whoever was in the room above us, walked around all night the first night we were there, back and forth and it was very loud. My husband wakes up for nothing and he even woke up.
Although it is modern and looks clean, not everything is as it seems. When rotating the tv to a position by the kitchen, there was a lot of dust under it. I guess no one rotates it that far, but it looked like it wasn't dusted in a while. Also, the floor in our room was sticky and I had to put my shoes on to walk on it. Nothing major that would ruin a trip, just little things that were left out.
As far as being green, well, that's subjective. The shower head was a rain shower type, great look, but it took me forever to get the shampoo and then the conditioner out of my hair, thus using way too much water, even using the little hand held gadget with more pressure. I hung the towels up, so that we could reuse them and they were taken away and replaced with new towels and the least green thing was that all of our two glasses, one knife, one plate and one bowl were put in the dishwasher. Now, that made no sense to me. Even at home, I wait until I have a full load before running the dishwasher.
I would have had no issue with any of these "green" things if the hotel did not boast about being an environmentally conscious hotel.
Overall, the hotel was fine. The price was reasonable, the staff were very nice and accomodating and the rooms were much better than average. I look at the whole picture and we had a very nice stay here. We weren't in our rooms very much over the 2 nights we were there, and the hotel was just fine for us.

Dear Walker1887,
Thank you for taking the time to share all of your observations about our hotel. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable visit. Congratulations on your son's graduation!
Feedback is so important and I promise that we will share with our team. We have a few new staff members and some details that we need to work on with training to ensure that we live up to our eco friendly initiatives.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

stayed 3 nights for a soccer tournament...Very clean hotel....And very comfortable beds...Rooms are equipped with a kitchen and large fridge...Perfect for travelling with your family...We cooked dinner one night,...I found that a great way to save a bit of money travelling with 3 children..Breakfast was easy and perfect for our family,as we do not eat anything too heavy in the morning..bathrooms are very modern and spacious...Loved the shower...VERY clean! Worked out in the gym...Small but it did the job! Pool was also small,but the kids did not mind. Hotel is located away from immediate shopping...So you must drive to get anywhere...Quaker Bridge Mall is about 10km away...Small Mall,however we did drive about 35km to a larger mall Bridge Commons Mall...Huge mall with 3 levels...

Over all a great hotel...No bar or restaurant,however perfect for us travelling with children..

Room Tip: they are all good rooms

Dear Harrington1000,
Thank you for the great review! We are glad you enjoyed your weekend. Please keep us in mind for any future soccer events.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

20 minutes from downtown Princeton, this hotel is set just across from the local airport. Sleek, very green and euro. Rooms are spartan but very comfortable and have everything one might need for a business trip stay. Hotel is clean and well kept and had a nice fitness center. Beds were remarkably comfortable. The one oddity was that we thought we might need to spend a second night (we had booked the first night via Hotels.com for a slightly better rate). We were told they would not honor the rate and we would need to check out, rebook online and then check back in. Kind of bizarre - I figured with so many other hotels in the area (Residence Inn, Spring Hill Suites etc) they would want to encourage loyalty. Turned out we did not have to stay the second night - so issue resolved! Just kind of a strange response.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Lori S, General Manager at Element Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Travelgal62111,
Thank you for your review. It is great that you enjoyed our hotel and especially our Heavenly Beds by Westin! I apologize for the confusion with the extra night. This should have been very easy to execute for our staff and there are extra steps they take for third party resevations and billing but should have made this process seamless for you.
We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.
Lori

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewing
Courtyard Ewing Princeton
The Lambertville House Hotel
The Lambertville House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lambertville
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown

Been to Element Ewing Princeton? Share your experiences!