“A fantastic port in a storm”

Element Ewing Princeton
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
Reviewed August 29, 2011

A fair amount of out-of-town colleagues regularly stay at the Element in Ewing/Hopewell/Princeton (it’s not actually in the heart of any of these towns in New Jersey but close enough; it’s convenient to the area’s pharmaceutical belt and for weekenders, to Sesame Place, just over I-95 in Pennsylvania). Our company has had a bunch of meetings here (not to mention the adjacent Courtyard by Marriott), but living in the area I’ve had no reason to stay here.

When Hurricane Irene passed by (August 2012), our town’s mandatory evacuation, and the Element’s pet-friendly policy, made it our home of choice for a few nights and I have to say – it was marvelous. Clearly overwhelmed at check-in (it took 45 minutes to get to the front of the line and even at 3 p.m. rooms were not ready until 4 p.m. or later) you had to forgive because the staff tried so hard and the place was so accommodating. I now know why my out-of-town colleagues prefer it here – rooms have a living area, sleeping area, and, the all-important kitchen area, with full dishwasher, a fridge that’s nicer than ours at home, and a coffee machine.

I’m a big fan of Element, an eco-oriented Starwood property, but not so much because of the eco-orientation. Having stayed in other Elements, I think its approach is perfect, whether you’re on business or not. Rooms are wonderfully thought-out, good lighting, easy Internet (free by the way), DVD players, generous flat screen with DirectTV, love all of that.

And adore the kitchen and the generous bathroom (though to be honest, as a tub person, I have to endure a shower, but a very nice shower it is!).

Only minor kvetch: If you’re going to provide a dishwasher, provide a sample size of dishwasher detergent. And it’s nice to have coffee and sweeteners and such but it would also be lovely to offer sample sizes of salt and pepper for folks who are “cooking” in. The in-house "shop" on my visit was poorly stocked, and I'm not sure if that's because of the hurricane, but I was intrigued by a fellow guest, with whom I shared an elevator. He had bags of goodies from a reasonably convenient Whole Foods was sporting a full watermelon. My only question: Do you have a good knife? I'm afraid to say that he did bring his own :)

This property is outstanding value for money in an area more known for its Ramada and Red Roof Inns.

One note: across the street is the Courtyard by Marriott, and the rooms at the Element are better, no question. But the Courtyard has had a brilliant makeover in the lobby, serves meals from 5 – 10 p.m. (quite decent bar food and salads, plus good wines by the glass); nab a booth with its own flat screen. We had a blast tonight, watching US Open tennis, reading the NY Times, drinking wine and eating salads.

The Element makes an attempt at hospitality and it’s a valiant one (happy hour from 6 – 7:30 with enough food to make dinner if that’s your desire) but its lobby is breathtakingly loud and kind of cold. But since the Courtyard’s an easy five minutes away, no big deal to get dinner.

All in all, I’d stay here again in a heartbeat (but would either bring my own groceries or venture across the street to the Courtyard for the bar scene).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn S

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We recently stayed at the Element Ewing with our young children. The hotel is right off the highway and about 10-15 minutes from Sesame Place and shopping. The hotel staff was friendly, welcoming, and very informative. The hotel was super clean, but also warm and welcoming. The lobby/hotel had many amenities that would fit the business traveler needs and families. Having a room with a full fridge, dishwasher, stovetop, and cookware/dinner utensils made traveling with small children so easy. We had everything in our room or within our hotel to meet our needs. The complimentary breakfast which was served in the lobby had a wide variety that the entire family enjoyed. I look forward to staying with the Element Ewing again!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy41564
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed for one week while visiting Sesame Place. We had a one room suite that was perfect for our family. The room was just right. Be aware that there are no bathtubs, but a great big shower. The shower was great, just nice to have a tub for little ones.
While I was not expecting the service of Westin it would be something that they could work on. I think that they need to do more training with house keeping and have a little more attention to detail. We made several requests for certain things to be left in the room and I still needed to go to the front desk. I think that they can do some check-ups on the cleaning and just make sure that rooms are serviced well.
The beds were comfortable, pool was good, and the food at the breakfast and the reception was nice. The reception was much more a meal than light snacks and there was plenty of beer and wine. This really made it feel like a family hotel with lots of people hanging out and making themselves at home.
This was a great stay for our family and wonderful location to get to Sesame Place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for our 10th anniversary. Very sleek, upscale and modern amenities. The staff was extremely nice. Will plan to stay at the property in NYC. Wish they were in more locations along the east coast.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2011

What nice people and so great to deal with. Beautiful property, great rooms, great bed and the happy hour and breakfast included is an amazing benefit.

Highly recomended.

Room Tip: Ask for the double room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The place was clean, open, and the staff was very nice. We opted for the one bedroom so the 2yo could sleep in the living room and the 3mo could sleep in the bedroom. It worked well in terms of noise level, and the only time we heard neighbors was when a meltdown was occuring outside our room. The bfast was better than a continental, but not as great as (say) a buffet.
On the downside, there were some small touches missing. The "do not disturb" sign was MIA, the bolster pillow was sans pillowcase and smelled moldy and we had 4 people in the room yet they didn't provide extra sheets and pillows ahead of time (we had to request). These are minor, however, and hopefully the place will get a better handle on it as time goes on.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed here for business trips in jan and feb. The staff is amazing and consistently went above and beyond to make my stays more comfortable.
Definately stay here!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewing
Courtyard Ewing Princeton
The Lambertville House Hotel
The Lambertville House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lambertville
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown

Been to Element Ewing Princeton? Share your experiences!