“Issues with the Bed and Bedding”

SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a one night Friday night stay solely for the purpose of experiencing the Springhill Suites brand for the first time. The hotel still has a little bit of the newness feel remaining from its 2010 opening. Location wise, the Element and Courtyard appear more convenient off of I-95, but not by too much. The bathroom design – with the toilet (and small hand sink) room completely separated from the shower (with a larger sink) room, is not seen often, and clearly has its pros and cons if you are not traveling alone. Rarely does an internationally branded hotel offer both coarse tissues and coarse toilet paper (usually it is one or the other), but we found that here. For those that prefer a pitch dark sleeping environment, the shades and curtains here cannot afford this luxury to you (see picture). I rarely have anything to say about hotel beds, but in this case, I found the bed to be just a little bit too soft. The bedding is another story. The blanket is sandwiched loosely in between two sheets (ie not tucked in on the sides nor folded over the top), just casually put together, providing an excellent opportunity for you to interact with the blanket surface directly at some point, the same blanket that has probably touched every guest before you that has laid on the same bed. Furthermore, the sheets are wrinkled everywhere, adding a distinct disheveled touch. To make matters even more interesting, when I pulled out the blanket sandwich, I found a fitted bed sheet underneath that was pretty clearly not changed since the last guest – as evidenced through various hairs of different sizes and dried skin particles. This marks only the second time, since I have started to stay at hotels regularly in 2004 that I have been assigned a room where the sheets have not been replaced since the previous guest; the previous time was at the Luxor in Vegas in 2007. So perhaps I just had bad luck this weekend (because two nights later at another hotel, the same problem occurred again), and this was an isolated housekeeping snafu, but I likely will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Patrick B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to relate your experiences at our hotel. I apologize for not meeting your expectations in the areas you mentioned. The dual bathroom setup is certainly different and we have heard many positive comments, especially from families. The amenities are from a national vendor, and we do take guest comments into consideration when selecting replacements. We review all pro and con reports from our guests with our staff, and this report has already been addressed with the appropriate co-workers. I appreciate your feedback, and hope you will consider our hotel for future overnight needs.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed here so that we could go to Sesame Street Place. Although it was a bit out of the way (15 min) it wad absolutely worth it. The room was spotless & beautiful. It has a separate sitting area with a couch (the kids loved it). The bed was awesome (I didn't want to get up). The bathroom & shower area were in two separate rooms - which was very convenient. One, I guess negative, was the indoor pool. It was the smallest one I have seen but it was clean & they had fun. Later that night, I was able to go down to the bar & have a drink outside by the fire. VERY RELAXING!!! Yes, we will go back to Sesame Place this summer & yes, we will stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank KAMou62
Patrick B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for your very favorable comments regarding the SpringHill Suites Ewing/Princeton South. All of our rooms are 25% larger than a normal hotel guest room, with a microwave and refrigerator which all travelers enjoy. We pride ourselves on our housekeeping staff who excel in overall hotel cleanliness. We look forward to seeing you on your return trip to this area for Sesame Place, and will again exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! You'd never know from the exterior (or hideous logo) what a beautiful, functional and comfortable hotel this is. The breakfast is very good, varied and plentiful; the sea-glass (blue and green) design scheme that dominates is at once hip, pretty and soothing; the little bar and the fire pit outside were welcome (and welcoming) surprises at the end of several emotionally trying days; and the room design with comfortable sitting area, work station and snack kitchen microwave and refrigerator is stylish, comfortable and convenient. The hotel feels brand new and the service is friendly and responsive. I had a minor concern about a housekeeping issue on my first visit and it was taken care of immediately, I was offered another room (it wasn't necessary, it really was minor), and given extra loyalty points for my "trouble." All my "trouble" should be like this! Also just off Rte 31, so you can find the nearest Starbucks even without a GPS -- which is saying something. Like the other nearby choices, it's in the middle of nowhere (an office park development slowed by the economy), but it is considerably closer to shopping than other choices. I'm making frequent trips to the area while a family member is recuperating at St. Lawrence Physical Rehabilitation Center, and this is now my hotel of choice. In the past we've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott and the Element (by Starwood) on Scotch Rd -- both of which are nice, but the Marriott isn't as design -forward and the Element is probably too much so--very cold, hard feel, especially for a long stay, with design palette limited to silver, gray and white. Especially if you have a long business stay, or perhaps need to be near the new Capital Health medical center on Scotch Road, this is a great choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank pmcbee
Patrick B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent visit at our hotel. I am pleased that we exceeded your expectations in all areas. The very friendly and professional staff have a mission to totally please all guests that enter our hotel, as you were able to witness firsthand. The interior design of the hotel is definitely unique, which we receive many compliments on the looks and functionality. The fire pit is enjoyed year round by the hotel guests. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I will like all to know about the tremendous service that we received from Mr. Patrick Brogan and his assistant Craig during our stay. When we arrived, the pool had just gone down for some maitainence, and our granddaughter was unhappy. Mr. Brogan made arrangements at the local Courtyard for us, drove us over in the van and when we needed to return and the van was in use, he used his own personal car. The pool was up and running by early AM. While Craig, sorry no last name, was pleasant and helpful to us and my visiting family, as we had around 10 relatives visit with us during a small reunion. At night when they left and I had to go our and walk our dogs, they were staying in our RV, Craig, commented on the busy traffic and hoped we all had a wonderful time and he remembered helping me when I called about RV parking on the premises. Both were wonderful as was any staff member that we interfaced with during our stay.

Room Tip: I always request a high floor at this hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Patrick B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Thank you for your very favorable review about your recent experiences at the SpringHill Suites Ewing/Princeton South. Whenever a situation arises regarding the satisfaction of our guests, we do whatever we can to look at all options and make it right. I am pleased we were able to accomadate you and your grandaughter with an alternate swimming facility. Craig does a wonderful job for us, and really gets to know and remember our guests, which you mentioned. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Ewing area.

Pat Brogan

Reviewed March 2, 2012

This hotel is near my company headquarters so I stay here at least once a week. The rooms are nicely designed and bright and always smell clean and fresh. I sleep great here and it is quiet. The breakfast is everything one needs and the workout room has 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, one bike and plenty of free weights. There is an indoor pool which I have never used but looks enjoyable. Restaurants in the area are quite nice and not too expensive.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Patrick B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2012

Thank you for your very positive review about our hotel, the SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South. We are very proud of our extremely clean facility, and the excellent customer service that all of our associates provide our guests. I am pleased you take advantage of the free breakfast, complimentary fitness room, and free wireless internet on your weekly visits. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is my second trip to this SpringHill Suites and it has definitely made me a fan of this brand.

I just had major surgery and my house has too many stairs for my first few days home. Since I had earned a free night from the Marriott Rewards program, I thought - Buy one, get one free - here at the SpringHill Suites while I recovered. It also helped that a brand new hospital has been built nearby.

As in my previous review, our room was spacious and very nice. No maintenance issues. We had a suite that included a sitting area, fridge, microwave, and complimentary internet. I also asked for a handicapped suite since I wasn't sure how I would do. The grab bars were helpful and the shower had good pressure. Note that the bathroom is actually two rooms - a shower/bathtub room and a toilet room.

The free breakfast was great and had variety. First time I saw two types of waffle batter (regular and banana nut), and two egg dishes. Turkey sausages were a little bland for me but probably healthier. Excellent breakfast,

They have a fire pit outside and we saw people enjoying some time around it. I was too sick for that but it was a nice feature of the hotel. Since we were there on Valentines Day, we were given a little bag of Valentines candy - nice touch.

I can't say enough about the great front desk staff. Both day and evening shifts went out of their way to be helpful to us, especially when they realized I wasn't feeling 100%. During the second day, I had a setback and had to go to the local ER. The staff were eager to help us with directions and assistance. When I returned several hours later (re-hydrated and medicated), they continued to ask if they could help us in any way. You might say this is just normal customer service but I think we can all agree that good customer service is hard to find anymore. I appreciated their concern.

While a little off the beaten track, I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone traveling in the area. There isn't much close by and they don't list shuttle service on their website so that would be the only concern I would mention.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NJDebster
Patrick B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

I want to thank you for your very positive comments regarding your recent visit with us. I am proud of our excellent staff, that show compassion and concern for all of our guests, especially in your case. The suites in the hotel work perfectly in a situation that you had, especially with the room layout, including a refrigerator and microwave in all rooms. The free breakfast has a wide variety of items, which satisfies everyone's needs. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit with us.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have to agree with all the previous reviews that this Springhill is really a great place! Marriott has set the bar high for the next generation of modern suite hotels. My hope is they roll out a lot more of this hotel design, and/or renovate all the existing Springhills to be like this one in Ewing.

One thing I want to say upfront is regarding the location, right next to I-95 because that worried me before I spent a week here recently. While the hotel is next to the freeway, the noise was actually pretty minimal and didn't bother me. There is some noise, but this stretch of 95 gets lighter traffic than some spots and it does quiet down at night. Best bet for light sleepers - get a room at the farthest end of the hotel, but really it's not bad.

I was extremely impressed with every member of the staff from management on down, and I don't give out compliments very often but they did go above and beyond, were always friendly and helpful.

If you are staying in Ewing, you are either going to stay here, the Element by Westin, or the Courtyard Marriott. They are all fairly new hotels and I've stayed at them all, but I have to say the Springhill is my favorite and I look forward to a future visit here.

Going out to eat requires a car, and there aren't many places in a small town like Ewing. There is a 5 Guys Burger joint 10 mintues away and the most selection is about 15-20 mins away in Princeton - there's a great Whole Foods Market, a mall, PF Chang's and abunch of chains and such to satisfy any appetite. Also, a Starbuck is 5 minutes away from the hotel on Pennington Rd.

Room Tip: Get one on the farthest end away from the highway for the quietest experience.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hotelreviewer333
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewing
Courtyard Ewing Princeton
#4 of 15 in Princeton
Hampton Inn Princeton
Hampton Inn Princeton
#1 of 15 in Princeton

Been to SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South? Share your experiences!