“Worst Meal Ever (Truly)”

Kratiem Thai Cuisine
Ranked #34 of 93 Restaurants in Englewood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Summit, New Jersey
“Worst Meal Ever (Truly)”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I think I cursed the meal when I said, "Seems like we can never go wrong with Thai food." My first clue, though, was when I saw "potato chips" listed as an ingredient for the Thai salad.. thought it was a translation error, but no, actual crumbled potato chips were on the salad. My husband ordered a chicken dish that, no exaggeration, smelled like FISH. It was completely unedible. The curry sauces were also watery and the vegetables tasted like they were from a frozen bag. Honestly one of the worst meals we ever had.

Tip: If you want fresh, flavorable, reasonably priced Thai food, go to Ploi Thai in the Rutherford area. Everything is delicious! I'll eventually get to reviewing that place favorably..

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank FunFoodieNYTraveler

Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“Wonderful Thai food, pleasant service and nice ambience”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife and I have been eating at Kratiem for 12 years. Like any restaurant you visit twice a week, about 6 years ago, we tired of it, and did not return until about a year ago. We found the space renovated. Always an intimate setting, walls were now a deep yellow, architectural oddities like columns now highlighted and casual tables either newly refinished or simply new. Service has always been gentle, welcoming and sweet and continues to be so. But it was the food that now amazed us. It used to be good, but everything now has a flair and vibrancy to it. A SHRIMP ON GRASS appetizer, came with 4 deep fried jumbo shrimp on a bed of crispy fried seaweed, with a lovely dressing. A noodle dish with basil and chili was well flavored and ordered with seafood, there were lovely morsels of shrimp, scallops and calamari. Even our desert of warm sweet sticky rice and fresh mango was a delightful way to end a meal. We have recently their tilapia and red snapper fresh fish dishes. Each time, they were perfectly cooked with wonderful sauces. Char grilled dishes are tasty, although once the pork was a bit tough. If you enjoy Thai food, you will be very happy here. Entrees, 10 to 20(plenty of non seafood choices at the lower end), appetizers 6 to 12 and you may bring your own wine. Wonderful choice of ice teas if you are not imbibing. A happy, intimate dinner! Located on the main drag(PALISADES AVE) in the heart of downtown.

• Visited July 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“nice place, food's not bad, presentation is quite good.”
Reviewed March 18, 2008

nice place, food's not bad, presentation is quite good.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook