Pretty good hotel, but as I say in the title it seems to be just barely above the threshhold of what I understand the "brand promise" of a Crowne Plaza to be. But that's still plenty decent enough for me.
A few comments, mostly good:
* From the outside, you might think the hotel is a bit aged dowdy, but it is quite nice on the inside.
* I appreciate that parking is free; that's not always a given even at suburban hotels in the NY metro area.
* When I arrived to check in, there was a line of about 15 people waiting to check in. Fortunately, the two folks working the front desk were fast and efficient so the wait was not as long as I dreaded it might have been when I got in the line.
* I was pleased with the value I received. My rate, booked directly with the hotel web site, which was completely flexible (i.e., could have cancelled as late as 6 pm on arrival date) was $139 for a Mon-Thu stay and included free breakfast buffet every day as well as a $20 per night credit applied at checkout (makes me wonder why they don't just list the room rate as $119, but, you know, whatever). That's not a bad deal in my book for an above-average NY metro hotel.
* There is a pretty good diner across the street, "Route 4 West Diner", which is open 24-7. Makes a nice alternative to the hotel restaurant, and an authentic "diner" experience with older waitresses who addressed me as "doll" and "hon". I had their Philly Cheesesteak sandwich for dinner and enjoyed it.
* The hotel does NOT have its own gym, but has an agreement with a modern, spacious health club across the street whereby Priority Club members can use it for free, and others, I think, pay $15 per use. I'd prefer if the hotel had its own fitness center, but on the other hand the full-size health club with state-of-the art equipment (and lots of types of equipment) made up for it.
* All the hotel staff -- from the breakfast personnel in the restaurant to the front desk folks to housekeeping folks I passed in the halls -- were friendly and competent.
* Breakfast buffet was average-y. Most days featured bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, and either french toast or pancakes. There was also fruit, yogurt, muffins and bakery items (though nothing to write home about), and cereal in those dispensers that makes you wonder how long it has been sitting there and how fresh it is.
* Rooms have free wireless, with sufficient connection speeds for most any business purpose.
* Heating unit was a little noisy.
* Access to and from NJ Turnpike was a little complicated . . . be sure to have a good detailed map and directions or GPS system.
* I don't have much sympathy for other reviewers of this property who complained about difficulty/ time/ expense in accessing Manhattan. That's the kind of thing you should look into before you book a hotel. If you're looking for a NJ hotel as a means of saving money (vis-a-vis a NY City hotel) for a trip to tour Manhattan, I suggest looking at Jersey City or another location convenient to the PATH train system.
* This hotel seems most appropriate for those traveling on business for meetings or events in northern New Jersey. I highly recommend it for such a purpose, but would not recommend it for tourists unless for some strange reason you are touring nondescrip Englewood, NJ.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You ve just found Englewood s best kept secret! Located right off Route 4 and minutes from downtown Manhattan, the Crowne Plaza Englewood provides the perfect blend of comfort, convenience and service. Visit the many fine restaurants and shops of downtown Englewood. Take in a show at Bergen Performing Arts Center. Catch the game at Yankee Stadium, Citi Field or the Izod Center. Visiting New York City? New Jersey Transit bus transportation is only a few blocks away. Successful meetings start here! We are close to many corporations such as: Unilever, Samsung, LG Electronics, Staples, Cognizant and CareOne. Ready to relax after a big day? Settle into one of the spacious guest rooms at this first-class Englewood New Jersey hotel - with stylish furnishings and features that evoke the comforts of home. Unwind in our large heated swimming pool, or work out in our fully equipped exercise room. Planning a wedding or social event? Our on site catering staff is at your service, ready to create the perfect ambiance for every occasion. Experience unsurpassed elegance at this contemporary-style hotel in Northern New Jersey, where you'll find a variety of services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Englewood
- Englewood Crowne Plaza