“Perfectly acceptable . . . maybe leans towards the lower end of the Crowne Plaza spectrum”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Pretty good hotel, but as I say in the title it seems to be just barely above the threshhold of what I understand the "brand promise" of a Crowne Plaza to be. But that's still plenty decent enough for me.

A few comments, mostly good:

* From the outside, you might think the hotel is a bit aged dowdy, but it is quite nice on the inside.

* I appreciate that parking is free; that's not always a given even at suburban hotels in the NY metro area.

* When I arrived to check in, there was a line of about 15 people waiting to check in. Fortunately, the two folks working the front desk were fast and efficient so the wait was not as long as I dreaded it might have been when I got in the line.

* I was pleased with the value I received. My rate, booked directly with the hotel web site, which was completely flexible (i.e., could have cancelled as late as 6 pm on arrival date) was $139 for a Mon-Thu stay and included free breakfast buffet every day as well as a $20 per night credit applied at checkout (makes me wonder why they don't just list the room rate as $119, but, you know, whatever). That's not a bad deal in my book for an above-average NY metro hotel.

* There is a pretty good diner across the street, "Route 4 West Diner", which is open 24-7. Makes a nice alternative to the hotel restaurant, and an authentic "diner" experience with older waitresses who addressed me as "doll" and "hon". I had their Philly Cheesesteak sandwich for dinner and enjoyed it.

* The hotel does NOT have its own gym, but has an agreement with a modern, spacious health club across the street whereby Priority Club members can use it for free, and others, I think, pay $15 per use. I'd prefer if the hotel had its own fitness center, but on the other hand the full-size health club with state-of-the art equipment (and lots of types of equipment) made up for it.

* All the hotel staff -- from the breakfast personnel in the restaurant to the front desk folks to housekeeping folks I passed in the halls -- were friendly and competent.

* Breakfast buffet was average-y. Most days featured bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, and either french toast or pancakes. There was also fruit, yogurt, muffins and bakery items (though nothing to write home about), and cereal in those dispensers that makes you wonder how long it has been sitting there and how fresh it is.

* Rooms have free wireless, with sufficient connection speeds for most any business purpose.

* Heating unit was a little noisy.

* Access to and from NJ Turnpike was a little complicated . . . be sure to have a good detailed map and directions or GPS system.

* I don't have much sympathy for other reviewers of this property who complained about difficulty/ time/ expense in accessing Manhattan. That's the kind of thing you should look into before you book a hotel. If you're looking for a NJ hotel as a means of saving money (vis-a-vis a NY City hotel) for a trip to tour Manhattan, I suggest looking at Jersey City or another location convenient to the PATH train system.

* This hotel seems most appropriate for those traveling on business for meetings or events in northern New Jersey. I highly recommend it for such a purpose, but would not recommend it for tourists unless for some strange reason you are touring nondescrip Englewood, NJ.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kwa829
gbounouar, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

We constantly strive to improve our services and it is always appreciated receiving constructive comments. Your comments and observations were shared with our management team, undoubtedly, there is always room for improvement and we thank you for assisting us towards that goal.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

The best thing about the hotel is its location. This place is very close (40 min drive ) to new york.
This place will suit for very busy people who would require very little service.
The Gym is quite ordinary with few tread mills, exercycle but no workout machines & not even a dumbell.
Service is OK, but at best on par with budget hotels. They charge $10 for placing a microwave per night, which i thought was ridiculous.
Value wise, hotel is fine considering proximity to New york.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
gbounouar, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2010

Reviewed November 4, 2010

Need I say more? My bed and nightclothes are covered in bed bugs. Getting out of here!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank trollbeads
gbounouar, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

The management of the Crowne Plaza Englewood takes the issue of bedbugs very seriously as the safety and comfort of our guests are our top priority. Employs a comprehensive detection program which maintains the highest levels of vigilance. Our housekeeping and maintenance departments (collaborate with outside specialists to) (if in fact true) perform regularly scheduled inspections. In the unlikely and unusual event a guest suspects a problem, the guest is relocated, the area in question is isolated to determine whether a problem exists and, if warranted, the situation immediately remedied.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions and it has some great employees for the most part. However on 1 visit (about a year ago) I had been given a key to a room that was already occupied and walked in on someone getting dressed. I let management know and the situation was taken care of. One a stay last week I was in my room when the door was opened by a guest who had a working key (thinking this was their room). I let mgmt know that I am on the road approx 100 nights per year and that has only happened at their hotel. Management let me know that everyone had been briefed on being more alert to this type of issue

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Very unsafe. Avoid like the plague.

We stayed at the Crowne plaza in Englewood, NJ the 2nd weekend Oct.   My car was broken into in the hotel parking, the thief busted the lock and the door and stole my gps, camera, other car and home keys and worse my folks passports from the glove box. The cops came and said that the place needs to be lit up better and that management should have security cameras installed. The front desk guy mentioned to the cops that a similar incident had occured at the same spot a couple of months back and inspite of repeated requests to the management nothing was done to better the security. I am very disappointed that no warning signs were posted nor better security measures were taken that could have prevented my loss. This incident means a monetary loss of about 3000$ as well as all the mental stress and hassles of getting new passports.

The hotel management is not ready to compensate me for anything and in fact the GM behaved like a jerk. Avoid this place.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank TK76
Reviewed October 15, 2010

The room was nice and clean. Their fitness center was not impressive, but they did have an agreement with a gym across the street for priority club members to use it for free. There was a diner on the corner, but that was it for nearby dining options.

We were mostly disappointed with the way they made it sound like a breeze to get to NYC. The 3 block walk was really 3 stop lights - much different than 3 blocks, and there wasn't always a sidewalk nor was it well lit in the evening. The bus ride was 35-50 minutes long depending upon if you caught the express bus or not. Having said that, it was still a good value for the deal we got.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2010

This was the second time I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood, and I will likely return again. Considering what one would pay for a night in Manhattan, the hotel offers excellent value. Although as others have mentioned, it is best if you have your own transportation (car). Commuting into Manhattan in the evening is a breeze, but if you have to drive in during the AM rush hour, the short trip can take very long. Free WIFI but reception can be improved.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
gbounouar, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review and provide us with information in regards to your recent stay with us. On behalf of the hotel management and staff I wish to thank you for your kind comments.
We constantly strive to improve our services and it is always refreshing to receive positive comments from our guests. Your comments and observations will be shared with our management team and the individuals who assisted in making your stay a memorable one will be identified and recognized. Undoubtedly, there is always room for improvement and we thank you for assisting us towards that goal.
Thank you from all of us here at the Crowne Plaza Englewood and we are looking forward for the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Most sincerely,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Holiday Inn GW Bridge-Fort Lee NYC Area
Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center
Best Western Fort Lee
Best Western Fort Lee
#3 of 6 in Fort Lee
Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood? Share your experiences!