“Englewood, NJ for New Years Eve in NYC”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My fiancee and I decided to travel to New York and participate in the New Years Eve/Times Square experience. We made this decision on a whim in late November and I checked out Priceline to hopefully get a good rate. The rates in Manhattan were very high to begin with and my offers were not accepted. The Crowne Plaza in Englewood did accept my rate and we were pleased because it's close enough to New York. Or so we thought. After our Greyhound dropped us off at the Port Authority, we grabbed a bite to eat and hailed a taxi. Actually 10 taxis. Not one NYC taxi would take us to Englewood. Now they'll take people to JFK and La Guradia (which are further away) but they thought we were crazy for even asking. So we rode the subway to the GWB Bus Station. From there, we got in a "rouge" taxi...black car, no fare meter. The driver said she would take us, but didn't know exactly where the hotel was at. I gave her rough directions...we didn't check in yet so I was not too familar with the surroundings. Well she got us lost and almost killed us going the wrong way on a one-way street.

That's when I called the hotel for help. Alex answered the phone and he was very helpful in providing directions. We finally made it there and he checked us in. I never used Priceline before and I was afraid the hotel would have an attitude towards that and even put us in a sub-par room. Not at all! Alex was very professional and friendly and our room was fantastic! It was very clean (just like the rest of the hotel), the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was HUGE!

I have read other reviews of this hotel stating the staff was not professional and they fought amongst themselves. We did not witness this at all during our stay. Everyone was helpful. ALL of the desk clerks we asked provided us with information on where to catch the NJ Transit buses into NYC. There are two bus stops within reasonable walking distance to the hotel. The hotel even provides a shuttle service to the hospital right near the 168th Street subway station (A and 1 lines). Miguel the bartender was also very helpful. He gave us good tips on downtown shopping.

So if you are planning to take a NYC trip, it's probably best to stay in Manhattan. But if you want to stay at a very nice hotel outside of the madness of the city, I recommend the Crowne Plaza in Englewood. My only advice would be to do your homework on the transportation situation, i.e., getting to the hotel first and then back and forth from Englewood and Manhattan. Perhaps it would be better to use the Newark Greyhound station instead of the Port Authority. Regardless, once you make it to the hotel and still need help, just ask the staff. They're more than ready to help.

• Stayed: December 2008
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood

Reviewed November 3, 2008

We chose this hotel for its proximity to NYC (we did have a car with us, so transportation was not a problem). For us, it's totally worth the gas and tolls to stay across the river at a nice place, instead of paying the room rates in the City for tiny, nasty rooms, and having to pay exorbitant fees for parking as well.

Our party consisted of two moms and two teenage girls, and we found the room to be more than adequate for us. The hotel was clean, well-maintained, and up-to-date, and the beds were super comfy. The bathroom was very spacious and clean, despite some mold stains in the grout.

There is nothing in walking distance, and not much nearby, but since we were only sleeping here and spending all our time in NY, it didn't matter to us.

As members of this hotel chain's frequent traveler program, we did receive complimentary breakfast, which was superb (but at $14, very pricey if you aren't being comped).

The only issue we ran into was that the hotel seems to be understaffed on the weekend; there was only one person at the desk when we checked in on Friday night, and many check-ins and phone calls vying for her attention. We did not receive a bill under our door for express check-out, and the line to check-out in the morning was 10 deep.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I stayed here few times in fast and saw the reception staff fighting with customers often, this time when I checked into this hotel, I receive an extremely bad attitude from the guy at reception named Alex Azcona , who claimed to be the supervisor, as soon I took back my Passport from this guy after providing for check in .. he started saying Bull [--] like “Don’t show me attitude and things like this” ,, trying to make a fight out of nothing … I didn’t wanted to mess up with him so acted patiently and didn’t said anything except “Just check me in” but what kind of way is this to behave with a customer ? Is this the way Crown Plaza Treats its customer,

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank lcdsolutions
DanGMEnglewood, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2008

This was a poor check in experience due to a communication gap. Our sincerest apologies for the misunderstanding. Alex has attempted to contact the guest to offer his regrets. We look forward to welcoming this guest back. Our hotel is typically very strong in guest relations and our guest satisfaction scores are consistently good. We try to make all of our guest feel welcome. We did not do a very good job on this one, but we will double our efforts on his next visit to ensure he has a positive stay.

Reviewed July 23, 2008

The Crown Plaza in Englewood is on busy Route 4 and is very accessible. The hotel is not situated in a neighborhood and thus there's not much nearby in terms of restaurants.

When I checked in the desk clerk was talking to other hotel employees and I had to wait. Eventually they turned to me. The clerk was, however, pleasant and helpful.

The room was was clean and tidy and of a decent size. The shower could have be a bit cleaner as there was some mild mold in the tile lines, but nothing too terrible.

The hallway carpeting could be updated as the color and design look their age. Parking is free and some is covered.

We stayed at this facility in order to attend the Yankees game across the river. This turned out well as long as we followed the signs to the Bronx, the trip was less than 1/2 hour.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TomJr
Reviewed May 28, 2008

Very nice hotel, larhe bathrooms, clean, well maintained.

It is located just off Route 4, in an area of warehouses and truck depots. There is a chain restaurant, though, right across the street.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I agree completely with the preceding reviewer's comments. I stayed for three nights and found that this is an excellent hotel value. The hotel is conveniently located near Manhattan and I-95. My room was large, clean and comfortable with nice amenities. The bathroom was likewise large and well-equipped. All of the staff that I encountered were uniformly polite, friendly, efficient and a pleasure to deal with. I ate two meals at the hotel restaurant and I was satisfied by the service and the quality of the meals, although perhaps a bit pricey.

I found the hotel pleasantly quiet, even on the night that a number of high school athletes were housed on the same floor as my room; the hotel staff took pains to address what otherwise could have been an unacceptable noise level. The construction that was going on behind the hotel, mentioned in several other reviews, is apparently complete. It is true that there is a large truck terminal directly across the street from the hotel which may cause noise for guests on the front side of the hotel but my room was on the back so I didn’t notice any noise from that source.

My single complaint was the "business center" in the lobby. I had a serious need to use it but was astonished to find it had only a single computer and printer. Worse yet, the computer was equipped with Microsoft Word software, which I wanted to use -- but the software was not operational. I assume this hotel attracts a certain number of business travelers. To have such a poorly equipped and poorly functioning "business center" is inexcusable. In my experience most hotels of this size and quality will have a separate room as a business center, with several fully functional computers, printers, fax machine and possibly other equipment with comfortable desks, chairs and lighting. What was offered here was not acceptable.

I expect to travel to the area in the future and will be happy to stay at this hotel again – but I will take a long, hard look at that business center to see if it has been improved.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Arrcee
Reviewed July 2, 2007

First let me say I read many reviews for hotels.
I see some people rate hotels with a 4 or 5 and then somewhere along the way there is always an individual who gave the hotel a 1. I hear to let you know that most of time those individuals want Ritz accommodations but can't afford them, they are never satisfied, or they have what I would call an isolated incident.

Well I am here to say that I stayed in room 708 it was great for the price of $119. The front desk staff person was fabulous, they had directions created for all the near by malls and restaurants. You are 10 mins. from NY City. Very convenient... Parking great and FREE. Had dinner at Mortons which is 5 mins. away and it was exquisite. DEFINITELY WOULD GO BACK!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CommonCentsTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Fort Lee - George Washington Bridge
Teaneck Marriott at Glenpointe
Holiday Inn GW Bridge-Fort Lee NYC Area
Best Western Fort Lee
Best Western Fort Lee
#3 of 6 in Fort Lee
Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park
Clinton Inn Hotel & Event Center

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Englewood? Share your experiences!