“Upscale Italian restaurant”
Review of Solaia - CLOSED

Solaia
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: E Palisade Ave
Transit: Bus stop on Palisade Avenue and the corner of North Van Brunt Street.
New York, New York, United States
“Upscale Italian restaurant”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Having an early business dinner in North Bergen tonight, I was impressed by the food! Focaccia , then Dover sole and Tiramisu for dessert ! I recommend !!

• Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian Restaurant in town !”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just stop by for a casual business dinner, the food was excellent, atmosphere was cosy.
The service was amazing. I will come back! I had the privilege to meet the owner, and had a glass of wine discussing about food.

• Visited April 2013
Ramsey, New Jersey
“Caprizza/Solaia- Pre- Show Dinner Bait and Switch”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Prior to going to a concert at Bergen PAC we had made reservations for Caprizza, the more casual restaurant next door (attached) to Solaia. Their website states that Caprizza is a great pre-show venue. Problem is that when you get there they claim you can only order off the Solaia menu because it is "easier" for the kitchen with the preshow "crowds". Needless to day the Solaia menu is overpriced and the quality of the food is not worth it.
When we questioned our waitress she stated she would talk to the manager about our concerns and false advertising. When we made the reservation at Caprizza there was never mention of the menu issue on show evenings, especially when the web site explicitly states it is a great pre- theater venue. The manager did not even have the professionalism or courtesy to come to the table.
Stay away from this unethical business. It is a real shame.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Travel7108
“Stay away!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

There is a saying that goes, "some things get better with age." This does NOT apply to Solaia.

It is completely incomprehensible how this restaurant is still in business.

I have been there at least ten (10) times, always swearing it will be my last. Shame on me, I guess.

Overall, it is a very pleasant looking place. A little "Jersey chic" for my taste, but very warm and inviting. Do not be fooled!

The menu contains a large number of interesting sounding Italian and Italian-influenced dishes. From my experiences, they vary from mediocre to lousy. The only constant throughout the menu is the high price.

My experiences include, but are not limited to:

-paying for a $130.00 tab (for two people who are not big drinkers) with two $100.00 bills, and the waiter not bringing us change. He must be used to getting 65% tips. After about 15 minutes of him not returning with change, and the restaurant was basically empty, we had to get the manager. Then it took another 10 minutes for the waiter to bring the change, and he had a definite attitude. Seriously, I am embellishing this one bit, I honestly believe he though he was getting a $70.00 tip on a $130.00 tab.

-going in for lunch one day with the Mrs., and were the only people in the restaurant. We were given a two-top hard up against the entrance to the kitchen, basically the worst table in the place. We then asked to be moved they gave us such a hard time we left. The place was completely empty!

-went in for dinner one night with the Mrs. and the food was absolutely horrific. My wife ordered penne a la vodka, and it really seemed to be boxed pasta with sauce from a jar. And they were pretty miserly with the portions too.

-went in for dinner one night with a few friends (the Mrs. refuses to go), and every single entree we ordered was lousy, at best. One "special" from the menu smelled so bad that the people at the surrounding tables were complaining. It was only after a serious argument between our party and the surrounding tables on one side, and the seemingly never present waiter and manager on the other that they agreed to remove it and take it off the bill. Then they "forgot" to remove it from the bill, and it took another twenty minutes for them to correct their "mistake."

Save your money. There is a Wendy's two blocks down Palisades Avenue that is haute cuisine compared to the offal this place passes off as food. And the service at Wendy's is five star compared to this place.

• Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
“Overpriced”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

They had a risotto as an appetizer one course. I asked to have them make it for my main course. It was a porcini mushroom risotto and I got charged $32

Visited November 2012