“Great Place for Sushi”

Akai Japanese Sushi Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Akai Japanese Sushi Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 93 Restaurants in Englewood
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
nj
“Great Place for Sushi”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Akai has a nice atmosphere, friendly wait staff and great food! Ace was our waiter and he was personable and very attentive.

We will be back because of all of the above!!

• Visited November 2012

“Best sushi around here”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

The owner is so friendly and accommodating! Always gives us stuff on the house. Great sushi, always full afterwards. Great crazy rolls. Friendly an attentive professional staff.

Fairview, New Jersey
“The best sushi in the tri state”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have eaten at Megu, Nobu, , Koi etc., and Akai is in the same league but this is why it is BETTER!

1. If you are a loyal customer, you are family. James and Min treat us as if we are related. I started with them in their original restaurant the " Jingle Inn". I am proud of what they've accomplished in this more upscale location.
2. Innovation. James have created maki rolls that surpass all competitors. With rolls named the "OMG" and "pain the a**" there is something for everyone. Raw, cooked, they have it covered. James combines classic Japanese favors with some Latin flavors as well.
3. Affordability is amazing . Can't beat their lunch specials.
4. You can have a date he or a family party. We did my son's first bay here and turned about 10 people into sushi lovers that never ate it in their life! On weekends they have a dj after ten, yet at 6pm it is the perfect family place as well.

What to order: mussels in miso sake butter, tuna tar tar, lobster pizza, sea bass, rock shrimp tempura , Mario roll, pacific roll, fiesta roll, yellowtail jalapeño, tuna guacamole, wasabi shaman and the jc skirt steak. Wash it down with a lychee martini.

• Visited July 2012
Haworth, New Jersey
“Best Sushi Place in NJ”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is by far the most AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME sushi place that I've been to in NJ (and I've heard this repeated on numerous occasions by different crowds of people, not just my good friends that are now personally hooked on the place). Everything is super fresh, which is key in any restaurant, but absolutely crucial in a sushi place. I love all their rolls, especially the special ones with crazy names that make you blush as you're ordering. The rolls with white tuna are my favorites - just sublime. And if they have their "Min's (Lynn's?) Special Salad" (I think that's what it's called) on the Specials menu, you HAVE TO try that - it's pure culinary genius! I think it's slivers of tuna, bits of cucumber, crunchy stuff like the kinds you get on rolls and seaweed salad mixed in a happy mound of heaven, with just enough spiciness to keep it real. The flavors, the textures, yum! Genius!!! And the grilled Chilean Sea Bass appetizer is also unfailingly yummy (think Nobu). My kids even insist that the edamame here is the better than anywhere else (did I mention they're great with kids here too? We've been bringing ours since they were infants 7 years ago). Speaking of service, all the servers are knowledgeable, friendly and charmingly attentive and the owner, James, is the most down-to-earth, nicest guy EVER. And the atmosphere and decor really rock - super fun and trendy without being pretentious.

Can be tough to get a reservation at prime hours on Friday and Saturday nights, but that's to be expected I guess, considering how few outstanding places like this there are in the area, although it seems like they really do try to accommodate as best as they can, so it can never hurt to ask! You absolutely can't go wrong here for a special birthday, anniversary dinner or girls' night out. And even raw-haters have tons of truly yummy options on the menu (I felt bad bringing one preggos girlfriend here with a group since she had to forego the raw, but she was raving the most about her dish and we came back here to celebrate after her baby was born). I really can't say enough about this place. Would give 6 stars if they had the option!!!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Burlingame_Judy
Saddle Brook, New Jersey
“Wonderful kitchen, inventive sushi and good service”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I and my family have been eating at Akai since it opened some years ago, and I don't kno
why it has taken me so long to write about it. While Akai specializes in large, creative sushi rolls, which Americans have taken such a liking to, it has an outstanding kitchen. My favorite dish, seafood soba, is a large soup that comes with heaping portions of fresh steamed clams, mussels, shrimp and fish as well as with decent soba noodles all in a wondeful clam broth and for less than $15. This is the price of their special sushi rolls, which is what my teenager son loves, as do the youngish crowds that fill this long room(with red walls and subdued lighting). The rolls are tasty and the fish in them is fresh. I prefer, however, their red snapper teriayaki, a perfectly grilled fillet with a tangy(not just sweet) teriyaki sauce. There are good wines by the glass and a nice selection of beers to accompany the kitchen cooked dishes and the sushi bar preparations. Waitstaff are always friendly and the owner often appears at tables of regular customers. This is about as cosmopolitan a restaurant as New Jersey eateries go. Reasonably priced, especially for their kitchen prepared appetizers and entrees, and with excellent consistency, this is my favorite Japanese in the New York metropolitan area.

• Visited December 2011