“Excellent Thai food”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The reviews looked good so a group of us traveling on business decided to go a bit out of our way to give this one a try. It was worth the visit. The food and service were excellent. We ordered a variety of soups and entrees and each was excellent. Everyone enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife & I have been to Pimaan a few times. First time we went there, we did not know much about Thai food and all the different types of curries, green, red, garlic, panang, masaman etc, etc. Basically, you have to pick a meat (chicken, beef or some seafood) and then decide which curry it should be cooked in. Our first time, we made mostly wrong choices picking mostly red curry sauce which was not very good.
Fortunately, our more knowledgeable friends took us there next time and everything was delicious. They picked mostly green curry sauce, garlic sauce & tamarind sauce.
Our most recent visit was last evening with a group of ten. On a Friday evening, the restaurant was full but not chaotic. The noise level was moderately high.
Our appetizers were Chicken Satay, with cucumber salad & peanut sauce, and spring rolls with house sauce. I loved spring rolls but chicken was a bit dry and rather ordinary in taste. All sauces were good.
For entree, fried whole red snapper with tamarind sauce, was tangy & delicious just as expected.
The chicken in green sauce and Jumbo shrimp in garlic sauce were also good to very good. The portions size was adequate.
We did not try any desserts even though fried ice cream was tempting.
The service was efficient. The prices are extremely reasonable with appetizers around $7 and most entrees priced under $20, some way below that.
I will definitely recommend Pimaan Restaurant.
The decor is very bland. The restaurant is more suitable for a dinner out with family & friends rather than a quiet romantic evening. We have been there for lunch on weekdays when the place is much more quiet and suitable for a nice business lunch.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Pimaan has been my family's one of two "go-to" restaurant since it first opened over a decade ago. Open 6 days/week, we are assured of our favorite dishes and quick, pleasant service at every visit.

Pimaan is a great neighborhood restaurant that delivers consistently delicious food at reasonable prices. Their lunch specials are actually great (from $7.50 to under $10) for choice of soup/salad and entree. We especially like asian cuisine and Pimaan has become our basis for good Thai food (we used to go to Hackensack). When we go to Pimaan, we know we will get what we are craving for, and it is not always you can be assured of consistent food in other places. Decor is just okay, but they always have fresh flowers on the table. Dishes are plated well, served hot, shrimps are good sized ones, and food is delicious. The waiters are friendly and helpful, service is generally quick; they can get really busy though, even during lunch hour, so sometimes it may not be as fast. Owner and/or daughter are almost always present. Btw, this is BYOB.

My family's favorite dishes are: Softshell Crab with eggplant/garlic sauce, Red Snapper filet with garlic sauce, Pad Thai w/ Shrimp, Tamarind Duck, Drunken Noodles (w/ beef) -- if you want to play safe, Grilled Beef with Sticky Rice, Beef Fried Rice (I know, until Pimaan, I would never consider fried rice as an entree but I love this), and Crabmeat Fried Rice. Beef Panang is also good but haven't had that for a while. For appetizers -- Steamed Mussels with herbs (lots of cilantro), Pimaan Roll (crunchy and delicious with sauce), Papaya Salad and Nur Nam Tok (my favorite beef salad-- citrus-y, spicy and refreshing). For dessert, and you have to order in advance with entree, I like their Chocolate Souffle w/ Ice Cream "to share" -- honestly, the consistency is not of a souffle -- it is not light and airy as it should be, but I like it all the same. Served warm, with warm chocolate sauce and cold vanilla ice cream.

I could only think of 2 cons for Pimaan. First, is the din of noise. At some point, they switched their tables/chairs from wood to metal and we think this may be the reason for the increased noise level. The chatter must vibrate off their tables/chairs and the noise can be pretty loud. Second, as happy as we are that we can expect the same tasty food all the time, it would be nice if they introduced "Specials" once in a while. Just to shake things up a bit.

We always call to make reservations at Pimaan, except when stopping by for lunch. Pimaan has become more popular recently so I suggest you call for dinner reservations. So there.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went during the summer with my sister and my daughter. We waited 45 minutes for a table and ended up being seated by the kitchen. That's my only complaint. Food was very good. Will definitely be back again... this time I'm making reservations. Unless your children like Thai food, this isn't a place for them.

1  Thank krazikate
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was the best Thai food I have ever had. I'm really glad that we tried a new one rather than our usual one restaurant. This will now be our usual one! My only complaint is that the portions were on the small size. Next time we will have to order more food. The beef satay was very tender and had a wonderful sauce. We had shrimp in a garlic sauce and a beef in a ginger sauce. Both were excellent. When we arrived on a Saturday night around 6:30 we did not have reservations. We waited a short time and then were seated. However people who arrived after us weren't so lucky. Therefore I would highly recommend to call for reservations.