“Ended our vacation here, very pleasant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Newark Airport

Crowne Plaza Newark Airport
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Waterloo, Iowa
“Ended our vacation here, very pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Because of a flight delay, we missed a connection and were offered a room at Crowne Plaza. The transport from the hotel was slow in coming, but that was about the only bad thing about our stay. The front desk guy was incredibly friendly (and it was pretty late at night) and when he found out why were staying overnight, he asked if we had everything we needed or if he could provide us with any necessity. The elevators are in repair and were running slow, but worked fine. Our room was incredibly comfortable. We left too early in the morning for breakfast, but visited the coffee shop and was impressed with the selection. I actually just mentioned to my husband that I'm surprised there are so many negative reviews when we had such a positive experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tawney112
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Our staff works diligently to always improve on the service experience of our guests. The elevators are currently going through a modernization process. One car is completed completely and the second is about half way done. We certainly appreciated your patience during this process. Our shuttle service runs every 30minutes, 24hrs per day, but I will see to it that our drivers are keeping this schedule to avoid any delays. Our team appreciates your compliments and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

As always you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments you may have.

Carlos Valerio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I chose the Crowne Plaza thinking I had stayed here before. I was wrong.

The good. The transfer was painless from the airport. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. The paid breakfast was slow coming but enormous and very good.

The bad. Only one of the four lifts was working. The entire 5th floor smelt a bit musty, the room was worse. The service was glacial, I was wondering whether I should have specified the breakfast was for that morning. The buffet looked very ropey. The clock radio went off at 4 am after I had forgotten to check it. The hotel fire alarm went off at 7:15 am.

The last, while not strictly the hotel's fault (more on that in a second) was the most worrying. I have never seen such a shambles. The hotel staff made no attempt to get people out, had no idea what was going on, and the first fire engine there actually sat at the closed barriers for about a minute before anyone thought to let them in. Worryingly inept, especially as it turns out (according to an overheard conversation) that this regularly happens from burnt toast in the kitchens.

So, a terrible nights sleep in a odd smelling room with poor service. Oh, and the area looks pretty ropey. I don't think it deserves one star, but two is probably generous.

Room Tip: Avoid the 5th floor, it smells funny.
1 Thank LichfieldGordon
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 17, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback.
First and foremost please accept our apologies for the issues encountered during your recent stay with us.
The elevators were, without question, slow the last couple of months due to old equipment. In order to resolve this issue we have been going through a modernization process. Unfortunately, it did take some time to order and receive all parts. We are happy to report that we now have two cars up and running, which has drastically improved the service. We are expecting all three cars to be completed by early December, and we appreciate everyone’s patience during this process.
We are very sorry that you had to deal with the fire alarm, and it is true that someone did indeed burn a muffin in a toaster. In regards to your other concerns, I have already forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and Restaurant Manager. Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.
Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention and you may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments or concerns you may have.

Respectfully,

Carlos Valerio
San Francisco Bay Area (CA)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

First, this hotel claims to be in the middle of renovations. That said, there is a lot to be done.

First Appearance: Nice and warm. Has a display of the flights at Newark-Liberty (EWR) which is a great plus.

Deep Down: No elevators. Only one working and it takes a staff member to work it through. This is a safety issue, if the hotel is not concern about guest comfort.

Rooms: Functional. However for a non-smoking room, heavy presence of tobacco smoke. Could possibly be the AC was running and carried the smoke from one room/floor to the next. If that is the case, the management needs to make sure they clean the filtration system an a more regular basis.

Restuarant. Very little people eating. No staff to receive new guests. I guess that answers the first appearance observation.

Wake up. If you have an early morning flight, bring your own alarm. Front Desk wake up service not reliable.

Crowne Rewards member. Management, You really do not think associating and respecting our loyalty memobership information is important?! We go to certain brand hotels because of our loyalty and our expectations of service. You need to re-think out your individual marketing strategy again.

9 Thank SFBayAreaTrekker
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback.

In regards to your other concerns, I have already forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper, Restaurant Manager and Head Engineer. We appreciate your business and loyalty to our brand as Priority Club member. In fact, all Priority Club members receive a welcome amenity at arrival as our way of saying thanks for your loyalty. I am sorry if they missed that on your profile, and if you could contact me with more information, I can make sure that you received the points earned for your stay. Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and I will assure you that your feedback will help us improve our customer service experience.

Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

That being said, you can't beat the price for the convenient location near EWR. After a red eye, I arrived via their complimentary shuttle around 1:30am, and would have settled for a cot in a closet. Even at this late hour, I was cheerily greeted and upgraded to the executive level without asking. Yes, the elevators have been this place's downfall as of late, but they are replacing them. Look at it this way: you'll get some cardio in! You can also request a room on a lower floor.

The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. Being muggy outside, the air worked quietly great. In addition, they have an excellent gym and indoor/outdoor pool. They have a 24 hour snack bar/deli as well as a decent restaurant with very pleasant service.

All in all, a great value. Once the elevators work, the ratings will go up!

Room Tip: Until elevators are replaced, choose a low floor.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

We appreciate your other comments immensely as they will help continue to improve our customer service. You may contact me at cvalerio@menlohotels.com with any additional comments you may have.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Omg. WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE, EVER. The room smelled awful, awful, awful. So badly that I woke in the middle of the night with a migraine headache. You'll see the carpets leading to the room in the hallway are stained beyond belief and should be your first signal to get out. But we had prepaid for the room and were stuck. Unless you are stuck or held hostage, do not stay here. Disgusting. It should be closed down and completely renovated. The bathroom smelled like urine and was clearly dirty, the shower curtain does not even close to the ends of the shower, but hangs weirdly in the middle of the shower so that the floor gets completely soaked. The carpets in the room are STAINED and the celining is peeling and crumbling. The windows don't open so you don't even have a way to breathe fresh air. Wait, the worst part is the ELEVATOR problem you read about in other reviews. I ended up taking the stairs several times due to looooong waits. And the attendant pushed the wrong floor buttons which took even longer. The only good thing: The shuttle driver. He was super polite and friendly....but the shuttle SMELLED like CHEAP cologne to likely mask dirt. Ugh. DO NOT STAY HERE. IF YOUR OPTION IS THE AIRPORT FLOOR/CHAIRS, DO THAT INSTEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank D L

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Our Hotel is about to begin the renovation process in November and we will start by replacing our carpets. In regards to your other concerns, I have already forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and Head Engineer. Our staff strives to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable stay with exceptional service, and your feedback will certainly help us in the process.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times between August and September, not by choice, because of work. Within a 30 day period, I have encountered: up to a 45 minute wait for the hotel van at the airport; a fitness center so hot I felt out of breath prematurely; a bathroom sink that dripped constantly; no cold water in bathroom sink. I had to brush my teeth with hot water; ceiling tiles that had fallen out of the ceiling with water dripping through the ceiling at the elevators on my floor; water that accumulated half way up my shins in the tub as I showered; 1 ice machine working out of all the floors in the hotel; and only one elevator working creating a 20 minute wait to get from the fourth floor to the first. I'd say... stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank stacy w
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear stacy w,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stays. I have taken note of your valuable comments and your feedback will be taken into consideration as we push through with our major renovations that should be completed by Spring of 2013.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Crowne Plaza is a strange brand. In Asia the hotels are fabulous, in the US they really underwhelm. This one sank to new depths but in its defence it is due for refurbishment.

The shuttle bus from the airport was grubby (but the driver was friendly), reception looked so tired, the lifts (elevators) felt like there was a guy using rope to operate them and the rooms were decidedly below average.

The staff were OK, the food was typically fried US-style and the air-conditioning gave a simple choice. Sleep and be woken up as the humidity rises or don't sleep because of the noisy unit.

The other reviews seem to echo my thoughts and if I was in charge of the ICH priority list for hotel upgrades I would be making sure this was near the top of the list.

Room Tip: Wait until the refurbishment is finished
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank vonireland
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear vonireland,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. I apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations.

I am very glad to inform you that we are currently going through major renovation and should be complete by Spring of 2013. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit by then to see the changes we’ve made to make our guest’s stays as pleasant as possible.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
#5 of 13 in Elizabeth
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,582 reviews
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Crowne Plaza Newark Airport? Share your experiences!