“There are Crowne Plazas and there are Crowne Plazas”

Crowne Plaza Newark Airport
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
London, United Kingdom
“There are Crowne Plazas and there are Crowne Plazas”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

It is never good to start a hotel stay with an argument with the Front Desk staff. They booked and took payment for 3 nights though we had a printed booking for 2 nights. The whole place is tired and shabby but the management were keen to point out they had only just taken over. The front desk staff were never the same any time we went down. You can't charge anything to your room because the system was down. We (seriously!) got stuck in the elevator twice so ended up climbing 8 filights of stairs several times. The pool was closed for the weekend. They have signs pointing to meeting rooms, but no meeting rooms! Oh, but the shuttle bus runs every 20 mins and on time. But when we or our friends tried to call the hotel on several occassions they never picked up. Dear IHG, PLEASE get some consistency and stop trying to take advantage of loyal customers!

Room Tip: Have breakfast at Perkins next door - 10% discount!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jeremy M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Jeremy M,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused you. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

And that wasn't just us as we checked in. Monies taken in full on arrival (fair enough). Is it policy for Airport Hotels to take extra monies as deposit & hold it for upto 10days? Totally not acceptable in my opinion. The room was comfortable with an unnecessary huge TV. The Hotel is tired beyond belief, loud music blaring through out the communal areas. Too many TV's in the bar/lounge with waitresses only really interested in chewing Gum! New Owner/Managers have just moved.....Good Luck guys, I think you're going to need it with the staff! Oh & get the elevator fixed too. So loved the 24/7 coffee & cake bar, although we didn't indulge too much :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 'Quiet Zone" with the 'no marching bands or circus animals'...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Carlos V, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Newark Airport, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Thank you for your comments, and my apologies for the credit card inconvenience. As you stated, our company recently aquired the property, and because of the transition, the credit card system had to be reconfigured in our PMS system. This required us to process all credit card payments on arrival through a Verifone machine. We have already taken great steps to clean and renovate the hotel, and hope that you will return on your next trip to Newark Airport so that you can notice the change.

My apologies and thank you for your feedback!

Carlos Valerio
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Though wary before coming here after reading all the reviews, I felt my stay was very satisfactory. I booked a 4 night trip through Priceline and checkin was exceptionally smooth. The room itself was big enough. The beds were comfy and the toilet was clean with the proper toiletries. Though the bedsheets and pillow covers were fresh and clean, I could see a hole in one of them. Minor but still noticeable. The carpet was vacuumed but looked dated.

The shuttle service was very punctual and I used it to commute to the city for all 4 days ( go to the airport and take NJ transit) . If you dont see him for a while just call front desk . No free breakfast which was a downvote from me but apart from that no major complaints.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for our comments, and we hope to see you on your next visit to New Jersey.

Carlos Valerio
Reviewed August 26, 2011

So I booked a room because their rates were good. It did not say on my website that there would be a full deposit. I called the hotel and confirmed that if I l did not need the room 4 nights that I could check out and get a credit. I needed the room two nights and had to leave because my trip was done. I ate room service because there is no where to eat anywhere around there that looks safe. I got the bill and it showed a credit for the difference minus the room service. My credit card was billed for the room service and no credit was given for the two nights stay. I tried calling Mr. Goldberg who apparently handles such things to discuss and never got a response. I went through the Holiday Inn website and never got a response. I called American Express and disputed the charges 2 times and sent the bill I received both times and AMEX could not or did not want to be bothered. I called my travel agent who I booked the ticket through and she called in and I was going to hear from someone in upper management at the hotel within 48 hours. So one week went by and no calls were made to me. I called the agent again and she was able to get the credit for the room nights sent back to me through her contacts after much hassling. I finally saw the credit 4 weeks later and never heard from anyone to apologize for my 4 weeks of fighting. Also to make the hotel that much more enjoyable they share their parking area with an airport parking lot and in the winter they lose slot of parking spaces and if you happen to park in the airport parking area you get yelled by a typical New York A-hole for parking in the wrong area. I have never stayed there or at any other Holiday Inn properties since and will let my Platinum Priority status of 6 years cease because of the treatment and lack of customer service.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank GMAN0310
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#4 of 14 in Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport

Been to Crowne Plaza Newark Airport? Share your experiences!