“My candidate for America's worst hotel.”

Motel 6 Elizabeth - Newark Liberty Intl Airport
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed March 7, 2014

"We are the newest Days Inn" boasts the sign in the crowded dingy lobby. It caused me to ponder. It couldn't be the building itself because it was built before Lindy was a flyer. It couldn't be the last to be renovated or else they missed my room. The room was tiny and overcrowded. The rug was dirty and frayed. The air conditioning unit providing the heat(?) would would alternate between heating and blowing cold air. Moreover the courtyard was filthy and littered and the complementary breakfast was complementary but that's all. I give the management a "D" for deceivers.

Room Tip: I can't think of anything good about this place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 4, 2014

By far the filthiest place I have ever stayed! I gagged upon walking in. Slept with paper napkins on the pillows so our heads didn't touch them. Stains on walls, floors, furniture etc. I avoided the bathroom until it was an absolute emergency. Refused to shower before my flight! Shuttle never picked us up. Please take this review seriously. This place is beyond horrible

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 4, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wes1217
Reviewed February 21, 2014

this by far was the very worst experience ever in my life! if you thought the other reviews were bad listen to this one! I had booked a room for valentines day/presidents day weekend. I had four days off so I was very excited to be going to nyc for a mini vacation. after driving 4 hours from Massachusetts I reached this nasty grimy disturbing hole in the wall. upon arrival I felt very uneasy and nervous about my surroundings. I had booked a king smoking room and the guy at the front desk gave me my room key with an attitude after I had been cut in line twice and watched the guy argue with two young girls. there was no parking and ice and snow every where. they hadn't even bothered to shovel the snow from a previous snow storm there were cars literally parked on "snow mountains". I slipped on ice at least 4 times while walking to the room. once got to the room I saw a no smoking sign on the door when I opened the door I saw a twin bed. the room was the size of a closet. so I went to the main office to ask what was going on. I told the inattentive man at the front desk that I had booked a king bed smoking room and he told me it was a king bed and smoking as well. now obviously there is a huuuuge difference between a twin bed and a king and its pretty obvious. after about 15 minutes the guy came back out and had maintenance walk us through 2 sketchy courtyards to the furthest wall up a flight of stairs to the last room, mind u my man was carrying 2 full large suitcases and I had 6 bags. once I got to the door I noticed the keycard the guy was using didn't work and he had to open the door with a brass master key. he forcefully had to push the door open jiggle the handle a few times and slam his body into it to open it. once the door was FINALLY opened I took one look at my surrounding and wanted to puke. the room was laced with dust and littered with grime and filth there were wires literally hanging from the wall. there was holes in the wall the few pieces of furniture were tattered and look as if they got them free from a junk yard but my worst fear came true when I looked at the headboard, brace yourself for this one..... THERE WAS FINGER PRINTS ON THE HEADBOARD FROM THE PEOPLE BEFORE US! there was no sheets only a thing comforter covering the bed and two if you even want to call them pillows on the bed. there was burns on the wall and the TV remote was broken. the heat was at 96 so it was like a dessert in there. it wreaked of sweat and nastiness. the smoke alarm was beeping with the battery compartment hanging open so instead of just putting batteries in it the guy ripped it off the wall and threw it to the ground! like seriously?!?!? finally the guy said ok guys here is the keycard, I don't know why they even bothered giving it to you saying it doesn't work but if you want to leave let us know when you get back and we will let you back in.... my man spoke up and said what do you mean? we don't have a key to the room we are paying $300 for? and the guy was like no sorry. so we asked if we could have his key and he said no its his master key and he couldn't give it to us. we went back down and walked across all of the courtyards with all of our stuff and the guy at the front desk was a complete jerk! he was disrespectful, rude, and sure as heck didn't care about anyone's comfort or happiness. he refused to give me my money back and still charged me $80!!! I wasn't even there an hour! my husband and I ended up arguing with the guy for 30 minutes and jumped in our car. we drove 45 minutes to west Nyack,NY were we had stayed before at a super 8 and boy was it worth the drive! the super 8 was phenomenal especially for the price. everyone stay away from this nasty dump! its run down and gross. the staff was rude the maintenance man was doing the job of the other people and none of them cared about how disgusting the place was. spend the extra couple of dollars and stay somewhere else! I have never in my life felt more disrespected. WORST MOST DISGUSTING PIECE OF CRAP EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 0 STARS FOR THE DUMP!
P.S. I CONTACTED DAYSINN AND THEY HAVE A 15 MINUTE POLICY FROM THE TIME YOU WALK INTO THE ROOM TO THE TIME YOU MAKE IT BACK TO THE FRONT DESK TO GET A FULL REFUND! SO THE GUY TOTALLY PLAYED US AND WASTED OUR TIME SO HE DIDNT HAVE TO GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!! IT WAS LIKE I WAS SCAMMED! THIS FRANCHISEE FAMILY MAKES ALL OF THE DAYSINN FRANCISES LOOK BAD WHAT A SHAME! DAYSINN SHOULD REALLY DOUBLE CHECK WHO THEY ARE SELLING THIER NAME TOO BECAUSE THIS DAYSINN WAS NOTHING BUT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kelsey r
Reviewed February 20, 2014

good news- 24 hr shuttle, shower is hot
bad news- TV was broken, toilet over-flowed, heat was inadequate,

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were booked in to this hotel through United Airlines distressed passenger program when we were stranded in Newark during a snowstorm. When the free shuttle from the airport arrived at the hotel, my heart sank, but I told myself we were only there for one night and it was better than being stuck in the airport. When I presented my slip with confirmation number at the front desk, the disinterested staff member at the front desk took it and sighed. He went into a back room and then came out and told me that they could not honour our reservation, despite our confirmation. When I asked if he would at least help us find an alternative for the evening, he was rude to me and refused. We were able to get the shuttle driver, however, to take us back to the airport. After reading the reviews upon our arrival home, we were relieved that we had been turned away!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newark Airport, NJ
Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport

Been to Motel 6 Elizabeth - Newark Liberty Intl Airport? Share your experiences!