“Not the most exciting Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
virginia
“Not the most exciting Hampton Inn”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed over between an NYC visit and flight from Newark. It is absolutely a bare bones Hampton. Rooms are adequate but smaller than we are used to--we stay at a lot of Hamptons. The shuttle leaves every 20 minutes or so but is first come-first serve--no sign-up. Amenities are sparse. On the return trip we stayed at the Hilton down the street and the difference was amazing for not much more money--restaurant, bar, good food, great room. We do get upgrades but the whole hotel was fantastic--use the Hilton instead, lesson learned.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, go to the Hilton to eat.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Orlando
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our stay was great! I would stay here again. However, keep checking back for better rates. I made my reservations months in advance and was given a "discounted, non-refundable rate". However, when the trip got closer, other members of my group were able to get a better rate. I wasn't able to change mine because of the "non-refundable" clause, so I was locked into the higher rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Baltimore, MD, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place exceeded our expectations. The rooms were clean and fresh. The front desk was so helpful. They called a car service for us and provided us with takeout menus when we asked. I only had one minor complaint...I had the complimentary breakfast, the waffles. The plastic knives were way too flimsy. I had to cut and saw several times for each bite of the waffle. Other than that I give it an A+!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My first time at this Hampton inn location.I had a wonderful stay, thanks to amazing customer service i received from the beautiful front desk employee Yulissa. She knows her food place suggesting this really good Portuguese restaurant. The hotel was extremely clean, room smelled fresh and delicious coffee!! Can't ask for more! When i am in NJ that is the place i am staying at from now on!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Prakash s
Shamong, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great service, welcome feeling... Returning for the second time and they were able to help me with a lost item from the past... Great food recommendation as well... One of the better fitness centers available at a hampton inn...Thanks Javier..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rockaway, NJ
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I love the Hampton Inn chain, but I felt this one was a little below average for a Hampton Inn. Of course, it was still better than other hotels, and I would recommend staying here for a quick night when using the airport.

The shuttle service is very prompt and will take you right to your terminal. The staff at the desk is very friendly. However, I was told that a bag breakfast would be available at 5am for my early flight, but the next morning I was told that breakfast to go was not ready until later (which matched a sign that he pointed out, thought I did not notice it the day before.)

The room was clean and comfortable, though not as large as Hampton Inn rooms usually are. We called to tell the front desk that the coffee machine in the room was missing a part, and the offered to replace it for us. We said no, that we only wanted to let them know, so that they wouldn't charge us for it. At the end of our overseas vacation, we happened to get the exact same room again. The coffee machine had still not been fixed, which made us laugh.

I would recommend this hotel for any stay where the hotel is not part of the vacation, but rather just a place to sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This hotel reflected the best qualities I've experienced when staying at a Hampton Inn in the past. I chose it for price and location, based on the positive reviews. I found it to be very clean, easy to get by following my GPS. I was pleased to find a helpful and friendly staff and a well-stocked breakfast room. There simply was no risk involved in staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Robert B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,624 reviews
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport

Been to Hampton Inn Newark-Airport? Share your experiences!