“Good Stopover Sleep”

Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

With high winds on an international flight, I had an overnight stop in New Jersey before morning connector departure from Newark. I was relieved, from airport to my hotelroom took 10 minutes! I exited terminal B past customs declaration and walked inside the airport to the left to AirTrain two floors above (terminal C), in order to immediately reach P4 parking/ pick-up. (Luckily, I didn't need to wait a half hour in the freezing cold to spot Hampton Inn's shuttlebus.) Without a long lineup to checkin tonight, I was quickly given a key to my room, which had a few locks...not sure about the vicinity's security. My 3rd floor window overlooked Renaissance hotel's entrance and parking lot, which is beside a busy highway. Thank goodness, the place is built solid, and I'm not bothered by noise. My room's heater and air-con unit worked fine, and the contemporary king room has 5 lamps with a good layout of furniture in good condition. Everything was in good supply: down pillows, coffees, towels & bath essentials atop a granite counter (compared to stringent though clean amenities at Coral Sands vacation home that I left today, which offered nothing but soap). Hotel wifi was complimentary, as was a wide array of hot beverages in the lobby. Since free breakfast was served from 6-10 a.m. after my checkout, I packed my own bagel and instant oatmeal. Waking up at 5 yet to grab a hot cup of tea was a treat!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank AnLily
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed only one night as a layover for a flight to the Caribbean. Check in was expedient and cheerful. Had pre booked with Hotel.com . Room was excellent - clean and everything worked. Complimentary breakfast from 6:00 to 10:00 was superb. Love hotels that have the waffle maker. So easy and yet so good. The shuttle driver was friendly but not imposing and the shuttle was on time. Would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TGB40
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Motel is nice enough--rooms are nice, place is quiet. The lack of dining options keeps it from getting five stars--we ordered Chinese for delivery, and it was very good, but the lack of food options is bothersome.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank DCfromKC
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had to spend one night in this hotel between trips to Philly and New York City. It is easy to get to and convenient to the airport. Shuttle service to and from airport reliable. I got in after 10:30 pm and the only place to eat was the hotel next door. The desk attendant assured me that I was safe walking between hotels so I did, but not without some anxiety. The cost was very reasonable. Employees very pleasant. Room was standard Hampton Inn. Clean and fresh.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Spirit7759
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hampton and Holiday Inns are our usual hotel fare - economical, clean, friendly and accomodating. The Hampton by EWR is no exception. Having stayed here a number of times while working in the Newark area, it is an affordable option that takes pride in how it operates and looks. This is always a steady standard and in easy reach of the airport and freeways.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Millionmiletravelers
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed at other Hamptons before, but this one was a letdown. No food available, smelly interiors, and a rather shoddy neighbourhood... I will try not to stay next time. The good part though, is that it is close to the Airport with a regular pickup and drop facility to the terminals...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Nishith D, Manager at Hampton Inn Newark-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, we are sorry you did not enjoy your visit. We will use your comments on the condition and freshness of our property as we continually work to improve and we hope we can have another chance to show you what our warm Hamptonality is all about here at our hotel, if your travels bring you back to the area

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Booked at Hampton Inn pre and post flight to be close to the airport. Used Hampton for the booking, NOT an agent. As we anticipated, the first night was cancelled do to power outage from storm. Prior to our return however, we called the hotel to make sure they were back up and running. We called again the day of the trip to let them know we were returning from California and wouldn't land before 1:30am. We asked them to make sure they held our prepaid nonsmoking room. We were assured there would be no problem. We get to the hotel, quite weary and are told our room was no longer available. They offered a smoking room instead. Neither of us smoke and I have asthma. I was offered a room at an alternative hotel "just a few minutes up the road". The guy tried to print up directions two times, but was unable to explain how to get there. RT 1 and 9 sounds simple enough, but around the airport, you have to take service roads and find poorly marked exits to cross over the highways without getting yourself locked into the highway entrance. Took us almost an hour to get to the next hotel. Got lost in the streets of Newark (power outage, no lights) before finally finding a way there. Might as well have driven back to Pennsylvania. Really poor customer service. As the customer, you're locked in and cannot cancel a prepaid reservation, but Hampton feels free to give your reservation away at their discretion. Be warned. Read my other review of Hampton Inn's. That was my last try. What a lousy operation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sammielove
Nishith D, Manager at Hampton Inn Newark-Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent trip and I appreciate your flexibility as we experienced a nonstandard situation. I have contacted our front office department in regards to your comments and we are evaluating our policies and procedures so we might handle the situation more efficiently should it come up in the future. I do hope the next time you are in area you will consider staying at our hotel again and experience our true Hamptonality.

Nishith Desai

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#2 of 13 in Elizabeth
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Newark Airport, NJ

Been to Hampton Inn Newark-Airport? Share your experiences!