“Good Experience”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Herndon, Virginia
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2007

Booked a park and fly package through www.buyreservations.com for Christmas week. Our family stayed at the hotel the night of 12/ 22/06 - before an early flight out and left our car for 9 days in the fenced lot. No problems there-got to the hotel very late because of holiday traffic and heavy rainfall. Our hotel accomodations were very comfortable and we found the staff helpful. Had no problem finding a spot in the lot and the car was as we left it on our return. The hotel directions from the NJ Turnpike are not detailed enough and we had to stop at a gas station for directions. The area directly off of the turnpike is not a busy commercial area or well lit and seemed a bit run down. We did not feel great about having to get out of the car at 11pm in this area. Would advise that you get better directions than Hilton provides or have a good street map with you. The early morning shuttle (3:40am) was available as scheduled (runs every 20 min) and we were dropped off right at the terminal. It took less than 10 min to get to the terminal from the hotel. We returned 12/31/06 at 1:30am. Had a reservation for a room booked directly through the hotel. Getting to the hotel shuttle area took a while. The airtrain to P4 runs every 20 min at that hour, as does the hotel shuttle. It took us quite a while to get to the hotel because we just missed catching both and had to wait. Once at the hotel, we were given our room-next to the elevators and to the cleaning closet-a very noisy location for a family checking in at 2:30am and hoping to sleep in. We were too tired and loaded down with luggage to request a room change, so stayed in the room. We heard every ping of the elevator and foot traffic by our room. The maid knocked on the door at 8am (apparently didn't know we were only staying one night). When we checked out, I spoke with the hotel manager about our accomodations and the noise and she quickly offered a reduction to our room rate, which we accepted. The hotel itself is very nice and the beds were very comfortable. There was absolutely no noise from the airport. Overall, I would say our stay at the Hilton was a positive one and I would recommend this location for those who have an early flight into or out of Newark Airport.

• Liked — proximity to airport; comfortable beds
  • Disliked — room noise from inside the hotel; poor hotel provided directions
  • Tips/Secrets — see text
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank emmersmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2006

Hotel was nice, just hard to find...especially at night. We got lucky, could have been driving around in circles by the airport. You have to pay for parking and internet access. The room was clean, bed was comfortable, pretty small room though. If I was ever going to fly out of Newark again (which I highly doubt), I would possibly stay at the Hilton.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Paying internet access
  • Tips/Secrets — Go in the daytime to find hotel
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank susieq821
Cheshire, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2006

I had read the prior reviews on this hotel and was a bit worried about my visit to Newark. But the trip turned out great. I arrived at the airport by train and took the airtram to the shuttle area. The shuttle was there when I walked out the door and had room for one more person. When we arrived at the hotel Bianca at the front desk was very nice to me and I was checked in under two minutes. I was in my room in record time from leaving the airport. I found everyone at the hotel made an effort to say hello and be pleasant. I was wondering if maybe someone saw the prior reviews on trip advisor.

I had a nice king sized bed and the room was very quiet. I also liked how soft the bed was. I could see the planes taking off from my window but never heard any noise.

The food was a bit on the high priced end but it all tasted very good. The bar serves more menu items than the restaurant and I found cheaper options there. Plus they give free popcorn while you wait for your food. All the waiters and waitresses were very friendly.

The only negative I saw is the location as there is nowhere to walk to from the hotel as it borders the airport. It is very easy to get to and from the airport though from the free shuttle.

• Liked — How friendly everyone was to me
  • Disliked — The location. There was anything except the airport in walking distance
  • Tips/Secrets — The lounge/bar is the better for dining as it has a more extensive menu and cheaper options
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank annettebms
West Linn, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2006

My wife and I are Hilton Diamond HHonors members and we recently spent a night at the EWR Hilton prior to flying back to the west coast. While perhaps not the best Hilton proeprty, and while the other two adjacent Hilton family properties at EWR (a DoubleTree and a Hampton) might be better overall values, this Hilton is an acceptable option.

Making our reservation on Hilton's website took just a couple of minutes. Getting to and checking into the hotel is another matter. Those witha lot of luggage should be aware that to get to the hotel via its shuttle (which runs every 20 minutes) one must take the tram system from the terminal where you arrive to the P4 parking/ground transportation center. Keep in mind that ALL of the hotel shuttles must use the P4 pick-up area, so it's a bother you'll face regardless of where you stay. The process of arrival gate - baggage claim - to P4 - to hotel can take as long as an hour or more.

Checking in at the hotel was interesting and not terriby impressive. There was nobody else checking in but my wife and me. And there were two people on the desk. Yet it took almost ten minutes for us to get checked in and get our keys, even though I had used Hilton's Diamond web-based advance check-in and room assignment. The desk clerk seemed more concerned about not damaging her raptor-like nail extensions than she was about making us feel welcome.

Our room was on the 10th floor with a nice overall view of the airport. I have been staying at this Hilton more more than ten years, using it as a base for various business trips. The rooms are small, but to the owner's credit have been continually updated with fresh carpets, bedding, and other furnishings. The room was clean and the bedding comfortable. The room's HVAC was anemic, something we often find in older Hiltons.

What really galls us about this Hilton, and most Hiltons generally, is the way the hotel seeks to squeeze as much extra revenue out of guests as is possible. It's more than irritating to have to pay US$10 for a day's internet access. More than any other factor, it's the way Hilton's seek to nickle and dime guests with extra fees/charges that has driven my wife and me to stay as often as we can at Hilton Garden Inns or hamptons rather than at Hiltons.

Check-out (considering we left at 5am) was painless and the shuttle had us to Terminal A in less than five minutes.

In summary, this HIlton isn't the best and it's not the worst. Given the rate we paid, this Hilton property was an acceptable option the night prior to flying out of EWR. But watch those extra charges!

• Liked — Location convenient to EWR airport
  • Disliked — Extra charges for just about everything except the room itself
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch out for extra charges!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank West_Linn_Travelers
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2006

It began with a call from the airport on the courtesy phone at baggage claim to find out where to pick up the airport-hotel shuttle, with the response "gotoairportparkingshuttle[undecipherable" SLAM. needless to say, we ended up taking a taxi.

Then, when we got there, your worst nightmare like the movie Planes Trains & Automobiles: a ditzy clerk who was taking a personal call as the line behind us grew and grew ... "no ... NO really ... go to the bar right around the corner ... near the theatre ... he DID! ... no ... i TOLD you ..." finally, we glared at her long enough to get some attention. the poor guy who was being "waited on" by another when we got there was still there when we left.

A ripped piece of paper shoved in front of me, i practically had to catch the pen that was tossed in my direction, no directions where to sign, and throughout not a single please, thank you, or anything else.

Got to the room; no clock, a questionable long hair in the sink, cigarette smell.

I don't know what has happened to the Hilton chain or who hires people at this one, but as someone who flies hundreds of thousands of miles a year, who stays at lots of hotels in many, many different cities, this has got to be one of the worst in my experience.

If you are lucky, maybe you'll get someone who is competent and polite. If you don't want to roll the dice, go to the Marriott down the street. Never again.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Staff rudeness and impoliteness, room stench and hair.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay here -- go to the Marriott.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank balsmb
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2006

Needed to find a hotel in Newark for two nights to attend a family funeral. Relied on Tripadvisor reviews heavily because when traveling for such a stressful reason the last thing I wanted to deal with was a problematic hotel. My first priority is to find a comfortable, really clean, and updated room. This Hilton worked out just fine. Rooms-very clean. Comforter double sheeted. Bed very comfortable. Room above average size for that area. Bottom third of floor to ceiling window opened for fresh air. With window closed, room absolutely quiet even though highway runs right below hotel.No problem with internet service. Bathroom spotless. Services-Young man at front desk at check in kind and helpful. Housekeeping-great. Room service-great. Valet parking-prompt. Good restaurant on lobby level for breakfast. Would stay here again.

• Liked — clean and comfortable room
  • Disliked — gift shop closed "be right back" sign up three times in 2 days during hours posted as open
  • Tips/Secrets — highways difficult to navigate and traffic heavy. Get good directions to destinations.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buddyandme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport

Been to Hilton Newark Airport? Share your experiences!