“Good option while waiting for a connecting flight” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Newark Airport

Hilton Newark Airport
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
“Good option while waiting for a connecting flight”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed 1 night only, while waiting for my return flight. The hotel offers free shuttle to the airport, (the driver was a friendly and lovely lady that deserves to be mentioned). From the airport, there is van service available to Jersey Gardens Mall, where you find nice shopping options @ great prices.

The hotel itself looks a little old, has a very nice restaurant at the lobby (dessert lava cake is remarkable), and a Starbucks.

Pro: Room was clean and confortable, with great bath amenities.

Cons: nothing at walking distance and paid internet connection

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Be honest, do you really have high expectations for any hotel that's near the Newark airport? I did not expect a really clean, up-to-date, and spiffy hotel but, being a Hilton, I knew it wouldn't be horrible... and that's about what it was. The outside of the hotel and the parking garage are "tired" looking - worn and dirty - and the lobby was nothing to write home about. The front-desk staff, however, were friendly, prompt, and courteous. I always seem to be assigned to an adjoining room, hate that, and always ask to be moved; that was the case here, too, and when I asked, they quickly made the necessary change and moved me. Thanks!

Overall, my room was good: the bathroom has the typical "Hilton" look and feel, but was clean and bright. The rest of the room was good, too, though the wallpaper looks like it needs to be torn down and re-done as all the seams and edges were showing.The bed was very comfy and I had no trouble sleeping; the noise from the highway and the airport were neither overt nor distracting.

One night, I got back to the hotel rather late and didn't feel like leaving to find food, so I ate at the in-house restaurant. Again, not expecting much and not wanting much to eat, had the soup and an appetizer; to my delight, the food was excellent! So, in a pinch, the food seems to be worth a try, and I only say 'in a pinch' only because it's always pricey when you eat at the hotel.

My experience with the Internet there as a bit frustrating; Internet is supposed to be included in my corporate rate but I could not get on an was not given a code. The front desk politely told that it's included only for Gold members (yea, I'm getting there!) and they stuck by their claim despite our negotiated rate. Fortunately, as an AT&T subscriber, I was still able to use the Internet with my AT&T credentials, but it was a bit annoying that they wouldn't "play nice."

Bottom line: nothing special for a Hilton and, in general, it needs some sprucing up but, due to their proximity to the airport and a customer, I'd stay there again. However, I wouldn't choose to stay here if I was traveling for pleasure and paying the bill myself.

Room Tip: I had a room on a higher floor near the end of the hallway away from the elevator, but toward the hi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I booked to reserve some rooms for a wedding a few months in advance. I had all of my requests spelled out and confirmed on an email with their sales department. My requests were to have rooms that were preferably connecting and on the same floor. I also requested different room sizes to accommodate families that would be coming to the hole, like a double bed versus single bedroom. On the day of the wedding, rooms were on the same floor, none of them were connected. I wasn't really too disappointed that the rooms were not connected, however, I did make the reservations months in advance. What I really did not like is that I had a family of four for a double bedroom and they got a bedroom that had one bed. For four people? The hotel was not willing to accommodate a room change and they had to stay like that for two night. I also requested in emails that the rooms would be booked so I could earn honors points. This was not done either.

I spoke to head of sales, bill andreorio and he reassured me that he would look into the room issue and get me credit on my Hilton honors for those rooms. It has been a month now and I still have not heard from the Hilton. Perhaps this review online will get his attention. My impression of this Hilton so far is that they will say anything to make you feel more comfortable, but will not act to address issues. In other words, no action, but just words. I'm not interested in that and am disappointed with their lack of service. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Family463
northeast PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

The beds were comfy and its was pretty quiet. I cant believe I was in Elizabeth, NJ! It didnt seem like it, it was clean and friendly. Check in was quick and we didnt even have to check out. The only issue I had for the place was two fifty $ charges on my credit card. I called and they said that was in case we broke anything. WTH? How bout you charge us AFTER we break something. Dont just assume we will break stuff. I didnt like that. They said it will go back on the card after a couple days.
Anyway, there was an awesome pool and a hot tub. The kids enjoyed it very much. We were on the 6th floor and there was a storm. The kids loved watching the lightning and spotting planes.
There wernt many channels on TV but we could order movies.
The shuttle that takes you to the airport is nice but crowded. Its free though so...eh.
Overall it was a nice stay. For the price of the room though you think they would throw in some bagles for breakfast:/

Room Tip: If you have kids, choose a room on a higher floor so they can watch the planes:) Besides, its just f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I did not get the free breakfast that I paid for (got a cup of coffee from Starbucks)

Airport shuttle was full and could not take me to the airport on time, causing me to be late.

The manager was present at the front desk when I complained about the shuttle, and said nothing.

When I called Hilton, they offered me a gift certificate to use at that hotel. Why should I accept an offering for a hotel that I have no reason to go back to? I hate the way I was treated! I had such high hopes for this hotel, but once again, it boils down to "let's take as much money from the people as we can, and give them as little as possible."

How can this property expect to stay in business when it treats people the way I was treated? Look at the Sheraton. They were run out of business because of their customer service. Look them up on Trip Advisor and see.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver, BC, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night on a layover on our way home from a vacation. The room is very nice and the beds are quite comfortable. My only issue with the room was that there was no in room safe. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't have an in room safe. The shuttles to the airport came every 20 minutes and the drivers were very helpful and friendly. The front desk hotel staff however, were not particularly friendly at check in or when we asked for directions. We also stayed at the Hilton Penn Station on this trip and while I prefer the Hilton Airport room and shuttle service (every 20 minutes compared to once an hour), the Hilton Penn Station was in a better location for traveling into New York and there was an in room safe. Essentially, I would recommend the Hilton Airport Hotel if you plan to stay around the Newark area. If you are traveling into New York city by train, I would recommend the Hilton Penn Station as you can catch a NJ transit or PATH train from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Watertown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is my second time taking a school group of 30+ to this property. It has seen a little wear and tear since the first time, and not as nice as many Hilton's I have stayed in before. That being said, great service, late check in with 44 kids went smoothly. Had no complaints about rooms from any students. My room was clean and I had a great nights sleep before heading back into the city. The trip can be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour depending of traffic in and out of the city. Would stay here again!

The hotel also put on a very nice buffet breakfast in our own private room. Food was delish!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BillDOSM, Director of Sales at Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your school group's stay. We are pleased to note that we have met you expectations and provide solid quality and service. As we complete our guestroom renovations by March 2013 we know you will enjoy our new room product on the school's next visit!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West

Been to Hilton Newark Airport? Share your experiences!