“Great steak!”

City Tavern
Ranked #25 of 251 Restaurants in Elizabeth
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Was recommended by a friend to have their steak. Was not disappointed. Only drawback is bar atmosphere, loud music and talking. Great place to hang out and have bar food and drinks.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I had been going to city tavern for years BUT after my last experience I will NOT be going there again! The food was not what we ordered, it was bland and my rice had a FLY in it! Please read my story: I ordered my food to go and once I got home I realized that my order was wrong. First I had ordered all the food with white rice and all the food came with yellow rice, OK no biggie. However once we tasted the food it was completely bland, no flavor or seasoning at ALL! To spend 65 on food and have to season it ourselves was absurd so I called to complain. Once I got to speak to the manager Philippe he sounded uninterested and I felt I was bothering him with my complain! His response to my complain was "Ok and "!!! I realized it was pointless so I hung up and was going to continue eating the horribly unflavored, bland food until I looked at my rice and saw a dead FLY in it !!!! My stomach turned and my appetite was gone. I was so disgusted and upset. I did not finish my food and called City Tavern but the owner was not there and I was told to call tomorrow. I called the next day and I was told again the owner was still not there but his daughter, the manager, was available. She apologized and tried to excuse Philippe's poor customer service the night before by saying a lot of people call in with fake complaints so he probably thought I was lying. To me that is no excuse for unacceptable service . However, she then asked me to go down to City Tavern to see my food with the fly so I gladly took the trip. When she saw the fly in the rice she apologized, threw the food out and said it probably flew in while they cooked it and they did not notice. Yet another excuse and no customer service. I wanted a refund for at least my tray of food which I barely touched . She said since I had not brought the food the night it occurred (which was the previous night at 11pm) she could not give me a refund or give me a new tray of food as compensation. Well I had called Phillipe with my original complaint and he sounded more bothered than concerned. Additionally I did not want another tray of food made from this disgusting NO-standard restaurant, or a gift card because I will NEVER go there again. I just wanted my money back because no one ate their food after that and at least a sincere apology, not excuse after excuse.

3  Thank Erika Q
Reviewed February 14, 2013

You can easily share a dish between 2 ppl, we ordered for the center the octopus salad and plantain baskets stuffed with shrimp both very tasty. My dad ordered the rib eye that was nicely cook, my sis ordered the bandeja paisa with her husband and I the beef stew. Mine came with rice, cassava and bean. I ordered a virgin piña colada that was not bad. The parking is on the side, lots of spaces.

1  Thank prosignia300
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This place has lots to offer and is definitely one of the locals favorite. Their menu is great, but my personal favorites is the Mediterranean Salad. I like to add avocados to it as well. Their grilled check salad is good also and fair price. They also make very tasty specialty sangria. I'm usually not a fan of sangria, but I enjoy theirs.

1  Thank Jmc428
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Been here a few times and it is moving to the top of my rotation! Among my favorites are the garlic shrimp appetizer and the whole red snapper as an entree. There is a full bar - two of them actually and the place just has a great vibe. I beleive the ethnicity of the food is Columbian and the flavors really pop. The empanadas are great also and they taste even better at around midnite when you're eating thyem as leftovers! Ive only ever sat at the bar because the three barmaids look like the Latina Kardashian sisters! Seriously though, great atmosphere, safe neighborhood with plenty of parking. I'll be there at 7:30 tonite - at the bar of course. Stop by and say hi!

1  Thank Steve L