“Very Enjoyable Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Very Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Thank you to Country Inn and Suites for an enjoyable stay. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Check-in and check-out was efficient. The hotel was clean. Complimentary breakfast was good. The hotel is attractively situated within a cluster of other hotels. We enjoyed our dinner at the Ruby Tuesdays right next door to the hotel. Not too far from the cruise port which was the reason for our stay.
Would gladly recommend this hotel.
Thank you Lisa, for your extra attention to our reservation. Much appreciated.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mayberry1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New Bern, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here with a bus tour on the way to Boston and on the return trip. The staff was pleasant and very accommodating. The room was clean and the lights in the room were bright enough to see well. The hotel is very convenient to the airport for those traveling by air. There is a Ruby Tuesday Restaurant beside the hotel which is an easy walk to next door. There is also a shopping mall right across the street for visitors with some time to spend.

Cons: There was no wi-fi for computers. The Televisions were the old analog CRT style and not flat screen digital. Planes flying over can be noisy.

I could recommend this hotel as I feel that it is good place to stay for the cost.

Room Tip: First Floor rooms on the front of the hotel are quiet. Higher floors on the back are noisy from plan...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Morehead, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

In middle of an uncomfortable industrial zone. Many "fit and finish" problems that should be non-existent in such an upscale motel. TV remote back was off and missing a battery; sink hot water took about five minutes to arrive, chipped tub was poorly repaired, hallway walls had missing corner protectors, and breakfast quality was only adequate with a confusing food arrangement. I'll not stay here again.

Room Tip: Eat supper before arriving, only a Ruby Tuesdays nearby.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dennis K
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a good, standard American hotel close to Newark airport and good for both business and pleasure travellers. Friendly staff on the front desk. Breakfast is complementary and average, but you have an iHop just next door. Stayed here 3 times and will return next time I need accommodation close to Newark Airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here before a flight out to Amsterdam so I decided to rebook before flying to Paris. On the way to the hotel I somehow got lost, leaving my GPS at home. Frantic, I called the hotel's local number and luckily got Smiley John on the phone. He not only gave me directions from where I was, but stayed on the line with me until I drove into the parking lot. Hotel still provides a nice, free breakfast and has shuttle service every half hour to Liberty Airport. I will continue to use the Country Inn & Suites for all my flights out of Newark.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chriscrossin
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza thinking I was booking here. The difference is stark.

The staff here have always been lovely. Every time I have stayed I have had a warm welcome. The rooms are large and comfortable, the internet fast, the shower good. It's well maintained, and there is plenty of parking. The shuttle staff were friendly when I used them to go into town.

Very good value, and well recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here last year and had a horrible experience (see earlier review). At that time, after a day in NYC, I returned to my room with some visitors only to find the room looking like Hurricane Katrina had hit it. It was not made up at all!

Anyway I complained and was assured my next stay would be a great improvement. I was informed the problems were related to a change of hotel management and staff and won't happen again.

Taking the hotel at its word, I stayed in the hotel Oct 3-7.

Check in this time was lightening fast.

The pros of the hotel:

Rooms are nice and spacious. Some have fridges and microwaves.

The cons of the hotel:

Safe Deposit - I checked in after midnight and found the in room safe to be locked and hence unusable. “Did someone leave their valuables behind?’ I thought. Too tired to do anything about it at that time, I waited until the next morning, when I woke up at 10:00am and called the front desk to open it for me. I was told that someone would come in a minute or two. Nobody came for 20 mins, so I called again. A few minutes thereafter, the hotels’ engineer, Jim, arrived and after some difficulty, managed to pry open the safe. He stated that it is common for kids to cause such mayhem for other guests and hotel staff.

My suggestion to hotel management: either debit guests who leave the safe locked an amount to reflect the inconvenience caused to the subsequent guests and to hotel staff such as Jim, or, ask housekeeping to check that the safes are open BEFORE considering the room AVAILABLE for new guests.

Hotel Shuttle -The entrance to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall by foot is a good 15 mins away.
On my prior visit, there was a REGULAR complimentary hotel shuttle to the outlet mall. The trip took 2 mins.

Now the shuttle is only on demand. Going to the mall it can leave every hour and drops guests off as it makes its way to the airport.

But returning from the mall it is woefully unreliable. Both the driver and the front desk told me to call the hotel when I want a ride back from the mall.

On Oct 7 from the mall, I called the hotel at 12:29pm and was told the bus is on the way and will collect me in a couple of mins. I was asked twice where I was so as to ensure I waited in the right place. The “right place” is exactly where I was dropped off, outside the food court. At 12:54am I called again saying the bus has not arrived. The front desk apologised and the bus appeared shortly after 1:00pm. The inconvenience I endured can be measured by the fact that I stood like a scarecrow in a cornfield for 33 mins in the cold and rain when I could have been shopping or enjoying a burger at Johnny Rocket’s.

That was not the only negative experience with the shuttle.

Only the night before, I spent the evening in NYC. On leaving the hotel earlier that day I asked about shuttles from the airport and was told ‘yes we have them at night, no problem’. I arrived back at EWR from NYC at 01:06am.

Thinking that there are shuttles every 30-40 mins, I patiently waited and waited. At 01:40am ALONE at the airport's shuttle's pick up point, I was somewhere between nervous and fed up. I called the hotel and was told there are no shuttles after 01:00am. This is NOT what I was told several hours earlier. After a short chat, the front desk sent a shuttle, which collected me at 01:55 am.

These two shuttle experiences really, really frustrated me. Especially the wait at the airport. Alone. And I bet it would more than frustrate seniors or single women.

Breakfast – cereal, bagels (with cheese, jam, honey), eggs, waffles and coffee are all ok.
If you don't like the breakfast there is an IHOP next door for great pancakes.

Staff – uniformly sporting a positive attitude, I found the front desk was always understaffed IMHO given the volume of guests.

This hotel is rated the #1 choice in the EWR vicinity. But my experiences – low staff numbers at the front desk, guest rooms not thoroughly checked before being released to the next guest and problematic shuttles – indicate the hotel is slipping down the standards totem pole.

That said, the rooms are still nice and the breakfast still passable. And for my money, the hotel
represents very good value.

Memo to management: Please address the issues of shuttle and safe deposit box and you will no doubt keep your rating as EWR’s #1 hotel.

All things considered I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JA-From-Sydney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
BEST WESTERN Plus Newark Airport West
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Comfort Inn & Suites Paramus
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
#6 of 13 in Elizabeth

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport? Share your experiences!