“Excellent value and reception”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza thinking I was booking here. The difference is stark.

The staff here have always been lovely. Every time I have stayed I have had a warm welcome. The rooms are large and comfortable, the internet fast, the shower good. It's well maintained, and there is plenty of parking. The shuttle staff were friendly when I used them to go into town.

Very good value, and well recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here last year and had a horrible experience (see earlier review). At that time, after a day in NYC, I returned to my room with some visitors only to find the room looking like Hurricane Katrina had hit it. It was not made up at all!

Anyway I complained and was assured my next stay would be a great improvement. I was informed the problems were related to a change of hotel management and staff and won't happen again.

Taking the hotel at its word, I stayed in the hotel Oct 3-7.

Check in this time was lightening fast.

The pros of the hotel:

Rooms are nice and spacious. Some have fridges and microwaves.

The cons of the hotel:

Safe Deposit - I checked in after midnight and found the in room safe to be locked and hence unusable. “Did someone leave their valuables behind?’ I thought. Too tired to do anything about it at that time, I waited until the next morning, when I woke up at 10:00am and called the front desk to open it for me. I was told that someone would come in a minute or two. Nobody came for 20 mins, so I called again. A few minutes thereafter, the hotels’ engineer, Jim, arrived and after some difficulty, managed to pry open the safe. He stated that it is common for kids to cause such mayhem for other guests and hotel staff.

My suggestion to hotel management: either debit guests who leave the safe locked an amount to reflect the inconvenience caused to the subsequent guests and to hotel staff such as Jim, or, ask housekeeping to check that the safes are open BEFORE considering the room AVAILABLE for new guests.

Hotel Shuttle -The entrance to the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall by foot is a good 15 mins away.
On my prior visit, there was a REGULAR complimentary hotel shuttle to the outlet mall. The trip took 2 mins.

Now the shuttle is only on demand. Going to the mall it can leave every hour and drops guests off as it makes its way to the airport.

But returning from the mall it is woefully unreliable. Both the driver and the front desk told me to call the hotel when I want a ride back from the mall.

On Oct 7 from the mall, I called the hotel at 12:29pm and was told the bus is on the way and will collect me in a couple of mins. I was asked twice where I was so as to ensure I waited in the right place. The “right place” is exactly where I was dropped off, outside the food court. At 12:54am I called again saying the bus has not arrived. The front desk apologised and the bus appeared shortly after 1:00pm. The inconvenience I endured can be measured by the fact that I stood like a scarecrow in a cornfield for 33 mins in the cold and rain when I could have been shopping or enjoying a burger at Johnny Rocket’s.

That was not the only negative experience with the shuttle.

Only the night before, I spent the evening in NYC. On leaving the hotel earlier that day I asked about shuttles from the airport and was told ‘yes we have them at night, no problem’. I arrived back at EWR from NYC at 01:06am.

Thinking that there are shuttles every 30-40 mins, I patiently waited and waited. At 01:40am ALONE at the airport's shuttle's pick up point, I was somewhere between nervous and fed up. I called the hotel and was told there are no shuttles after 01:00am. This is NOT what I was told several hours earlier. After a short chat, the front desk sent a shuttle, which collected me at 01:55 am.

These two shuttle experiences really, really frustrated me. Especially the wait at the airport. Alone. And I bet it would more than frustrate seniors or single women.

Breakfast – cereal, bagels (with cheese, jam, honey), eggs, waffles and coffee are all ok.
If you don't like the breakfast there is an IHOP next door for great pancakes.

Staff – uniformly sporting a positive attitude, I found the front desk was always understaffed IMHO given the volume of guests.

This hotel is rated the #1 choice in the EWR vicinity. But my experiences – low staff numbers at the front desk, guest rooms not thoroughly checked before being released to the next guest and problematic shuttles – indicate the hotel is slipping down the standards totem pole.

That said, the rooms are still nice and the breakfast still passable. And for my money, the hotel
represents very good value.

Memo to management: Please address the issues of shuttle and safe deposit box and you will no doubt keep your rating as EWR’s #1 hotel.

All things considered I'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JA-From-Sydney
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am surprised this hotel is well rated in some other reviews.

I booked online and paid in full for a King room more than a week in advance. On checkin, front desk lady assigns me a Queen and claims online sites like Ex----- and Pr------- don't book King vs Queen rooms. I show her a printout of my reservation. Then she claims that a Double Queen is a actually upgrade from the King I paid in advance for. After I dispute to the manager, I finally receive a King room.

The room itself is old and tired. Carpet is heavily stained and looks filthy. The room is noisy -- there is a lot of noise close to the elevator, and also noise from trains during the night.

The complimentary "Deluxe Breakfast" basically consists of badly cooked eggs and Kellogg cereal. The only saving grace to the breakfast is the "make your own waffle" machine.

Country Inn is not at all worth it for the price. Will stay elsewhere when I fly through EWR.

Room Tip: Very noisy if room is near elevator.
6  Thank T6D3
Lisa P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for your review of our property. Please be advised that not all 3rd party sites guarantee room types. I am glad that they were able to accommodate you in the room type you preferred. All types of reviews help us to make it better to accommodate all of our guests. We understand that some of our rooms seem outdated and that is why we are in the process renovating our property. I hope you would give us another chance in the future to show you that our hotel is about comfort and family.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for its value and convience.Our flight was 5:30 AM, returning a week later.Although they advertise 24hr airport shuttle service,they don't actually start the service until 4 AM.Because our flight was so early we requested a 3:30 AM pickup without any issue.The driver was right on time.I parked the car in the rear of the hotel with a date of return on the window.The room was very clean and comfortable.We stayed over on a Monday night.It was quiet but the lobby was fairly busy with many people waiting to check in.When we returned from our flight we called the hotel using the courtousy phone located at the P-4 terminal using the air tram to get there.We waited 5 minutes for the shuttle.The only issue was with the service at checkin.The clerk that was checking us in did not have it together.He couldn't check us in even though he had or reservation.He requested a reservation number from us that i did not no i needed.To make a long story short we got the mgr to get us thru this problem.The clerk then started to check someone else in before we were done.He took my credit card and forgot to give it back to me with the room key.I would stay here again but they have to improve the coustomer service

Room Tip: There is a Ruby Tuesday and Ihop located right next door to the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank irishwhiskey135
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is very convenient located near EWR and offers a pre-cruise package, so we decided to stay here before a cruise. The package included round-trip transportation to the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, and we found this service great. There is also a complimentary 24-hour shuttle service to EWR.

Although the hotel is quite large with more than 200 rooms, the atmosphere is cozy with afternoon cookies. We found the staff friendly and helpful.

Our room was not very modern, but clean and ok. The CRT TV had a minor signal problem, which was quickly fixed, so no big deal.

The included breakfast was excellent with a huge selection of hot and cold items.

There is a great Ruby Tuesday right next to the hotel, and we had an enjoyable dinner there.

1  Thank NemoTraveler
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel was extremely convenient for us as we were flying out of Newark the next morning. They drop you off at the airport every half hour on the hour and we thought we would have to call them when we returned (make sure you are at parking stop P4- you will need to take a short shuttle) but to our surprise they were already there! It was a flawless operation and it's a 5-10 min ride back and forth. We checked in to the hotel early as we wanted to avoid rush hour coming from Philly and guess what? Check in time is at 4 but they gave us a room at 1:00! We then went across the street to the Jersey Gardens outlet mall which is great if you love to shop. They have every store imaginable and then we went back to the hotel for a swim. They have a very nice relaxing indoor pool and fitness center. We then freshened up before we went next door to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner which was great! Overall this was a wonderful experience. However, I wouldn't be honest if I didn't mention a couple of very minor complaints: It would have been nice to get eye contact and a smile from the person who checked us in (maybe he was having a bad day) and also I'm still waiting for our 4:00 AM wake up call to arrive. Luckily we set the alarm as a backup! Next year we go away on another trip and we will definitely stay here again!

1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a holiday week end when hotel rates in Manhattan were sky high. I chose it because of reviews and a good senior rate. The hotel itself was fine with a nice enough large clean, quiet room and bathroom, comfortable bed and free internet that worked after cordial assistance from a techincal support person. The breakfast was OK. The staff were very helpful and respectful.

When I stayed near Newark Aiport before the hotels were isolated and getting to the train that goes into NYC was a bit complicated--hotel van, tram, and train that cost maybe $10 each way. This hotel was very close to several others and across the road ,with stop light and a short safe walk from the hotel, was a large outlet mall, which I did not frequent (the hotel van will take you there if you would rather not walk). The nice thing was that at this outlet mall is a TNJ bus that goes right into Port of Authority in Manhattan in 30 minutes and cost under $3 for a senior. The hotel clerk gave me schedules for the appropriate bus to and from the city and very careful directions.I had no problem walking to the mall and back to the hotel at midnight. I saved lots to spend in Manhattan on things i wanted to do.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank grover33Raleigh_NC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#3 of 14 in Elizabeth

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport? Share your experiences!