“RIPPED OFF”

Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Courtyard Newark Elizabeth is a rip off..My problem is I checked in 7/7/12 and paid for one night which end up being $142.80 with tax so no problem...I decided to stay other night my room cost $190 for Sunday Im trying to figure out why did it cost more than I paid Saturday?

The staff at the front dest was HORRIBLE and RUDE when I asked wh so much!!!

I"ve been gone ALL DAY (Sunday 7/8) arrived back to my room at 6:45pm and wondering why it hasn't been cleaned especially since I've paid almost $200 dollars..The housekeeper came at 7:23pm WOW...she wanted to clean the room, but Im in the bed now..I have never stayed at a hotel with horrible service like this..

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tamika B
Gabriel K, General Manager at Courtyard Newark Elizabeth, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write and share feedback from your most recent stay on Trip Advisor. Please accept our apologies for the dissatisfaction of the bed and air conditioning during your time spent with us. This is certainly not the Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth experience we aim to provide our guests and I am truly sorry for your experience. I will be sure to follow up with our management team so that we may look further into these matters. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we hope to welcome you back

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have spent 4 nights at this hotel. Have a fabulous stay...comfy and great location. I would give 5stars rating if I'm not having a very bad experience after checked out.

A day before checked out, I have asked the front desk "Simone" to help arrange a transportation to Norwalk, Connecticut. She saids she'll check and will call my room to let me know the price. No calls from her for half an hour so I call down to the front desk again. She saids she's busy which is understandably. She tolds me the hotel arrangement would be 300USD but there's another reliable company that she helped check will cost 275USD. So I believed her recommendation with 275USD. Guess what you can expect at this price? A hotel limo???? No, turns out it was a yellow-cab waiting for me. This yellow-cab doesn't know the way, make a stop off inter-state for dunkin donuts, have no GPS and end up getting lost for 2 hours. The driver were pissed that I didn't know the way. Well, I'm a foreigner. I just know the address of where I want to go. Once I arrived, he put extra charged of 43USD from which I was told it's a fixed price that include everything.

So confident that Simone has gang up with that taxi driver. I've been to the U.S. more than 10 times and this is the worst experience ever!

Never come to my mind that Courtyard Front Desk aren't reliable.

My caution to you. Don't trust Courtyard....especially Courtyard Newark Elizabeth....

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Pat398
Reviewed June 19, 2012

While this property is in a poor location, there is no need to leave the premises as everything you need is in the hotel from a lobby restaurant/bar, exercise facility, meeting rooms, etc. The rooms are not brand new and awesome, but I've stayed at lots of Courtyard's and this ranks with the better than average lot.

I found that the lobby restaurant was a bit pricey on the food but nothing abnormal for the NYC area. The staff seemed to bend over backwards for their patrons. I really was impressed that they were going the extra mile for us weary biz travelers.

If you are going to the NYC area you can affordably stay here and hit most of the same areas you would hit for a higher priced property (more like double the price); areas like Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, etc. I wouldn't recommend this for Manhattan, Bronx or northern areas as the Courtyard on the upper east side is perfect for that locale and also affordably priced.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hotel_5150

Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor! I’m delighted you enjoyed your Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth experience. The Bistro Café is an a la carte restaurant option with fresh made items. Your feedback gives us a wonderful chance to make service operation impacts! We look forward to welcoming you back to Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth for business or pleasure.

General Manager – Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Elevator very slow and rooms is dirty. It is the worst courtyard we ever ever stayed

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. Hotel Cleanliness is amongst our highest priorities so thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. My sincerest apologies if your stay did not meet or exceed your expectations. I will certainly share this with members of my team as we aim to provide a truly memorable stay for all of our Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth guests. We do hope to welcome you back to Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth in the near future so that we may show you a more perfect hotel experience.

General Manager – Courtyard Marriott Elizabeth

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Hotel is next to the New Jersey Gardens Mall just 25 minutes away from Downtown Manhattan. it is a good and cheaper alternative compared to expensive and not very good hotels in Manhattan.
The staff in the hotel is very helpful, the hotel is renovated and you have good breakfast possibilities.

From the hotel you have two alternatives to get to Manhattan.
Either you take the bus which starts directly from the mall (5 minutes walk) and takes you directly to Penn Station or you take the hotel shuttle to Newark airport and take the train from there.
the bus costs around 11 USD return whereas the train is more expensive. Departure times might be more convenient though.

So whenever me or my friends to go the New York area we stay in this hotel and spend the money saved by not staying in a hotel Downtown Manhattan on something else.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is our first time staying in Elizabeth Courtyard as we usually stay in the adjacent Residence Inn. We stayed here for a week during Halloween (Oct - Nov 2011). The hotel reception and room's design & decoration felt modern yet cozy (but no Halloween decoration / trick or treat). Rooms were clean and beds were big, which is exactly what we needed after a long flight (total trip = 24 hours). The staff were kind especially the receptionist that checked us in who was cheerful and welcoming. It was also comforting that the hotel's General Manager (Gabriel) was hands on and actively involved.

The hotel had many good features including free wifi internet in the rooms and business center with printers, which we used to plan and book for attractions everyday. There were plenty of complimentary parking spaces in the hotel premises, however it was quite impossible to find any if you go late at night esp. during busy days. Since it snowed early this year (as a surprise), the parking lot was full with trucks of the snow cleaning crew. Also, it was frustrating that sometimes some guests took double parking spaces. During our stay here we missed the free hot breakfast that Residence Inn offers, but we enjoyed having amazing breakfasts in Ihop, which is across the street. The hotel though was offering complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby (next to business center). As an alternative, they were selling Starbucks coffee.

The best feature of the hotel is its location. It is very convenient staying in this area as it is nearby to many attractions such as shopping centers, cinemas, and major cities. Jersey Garden Outlets Mall is just across the street, which also has a 20 cinemas complex. In Linden (less than 10 minutes drive) you will also find other shopping outlets including Walmart and Kmart. Finally, NYC was less than 25 minutes drive, but avoid driving during rush hour as it might take more than an hour (if not more sometimes). If you take Lincoln Tunnel, the hotel is just 25 minutes away from heart of Times Square.

We strongly recommend staying at this hotel specially for those who want to go shopping and also visiting NYC everyday. But a car is essential otherwise travelling to NYC will be a hassle.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Hotel was a good base for a quick visit to NYC area. Only some of the many planes using the airport were loud enough and close enough to be noticed. Lots of pilots and crew seem to use this hotel. Clean and comfortable.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family