“No wake-up call”

Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the 9th of December 2011. This hotel has an excellent location if your final destination requires a stop in New York. It is located very close to Newark airport and within walking distance to the Jersey Gardens Outlet. The rooms are clean and good sized. But let´s be honest, the only reason we chose this hotel was to be able to visit the outlet and besides they offer a free shuttle to the airport. There was only one big problem. We had an early trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico the morning after and we requested a wakeup call but we never got one. We were incredibly lucky cause I woke up 1 hour and 20 minutes before our flight, we didn´t even have a chance to shower. The reception said that they were sorry but their wakeup system was out of order. I wonder if they had paid our flight if we had lost it. Will I ever stay again at this hotel one more time? No thanks.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Newark Elizabeth

Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stay in Elizabeth periodically for work at the Newark Airport.

The hotel itself is pretty standard for a Courtyard by Marriott. Free WiFi, small fitness room, clean comfortable rooms. The staff here is always friendly and helpful.

Dining options within walking distance of the hotel are severely limited. The fitness room is fairly basic but functional. Airplane traffic coming and going at Newark airport can be heard in the rooms, but I didn't find it so loud that I couldn't sleep through it.

Probably the biggest downer about this hotel is the reduced frequency of the hotel shuttle. It comes only once every 30 minutes, and you need to take a train from the airport terminal to catch it. I think compared to other hotels in airport areas this is about the lowest frequency you ever see, and if the timing of the train to the shuttle doesn't work out exactly right you can be looking at a very long travel time to get to the hotel after you pick up your baggage.

Proximity to Jersey Gardens mall is great for shoppers.

Overall I don't mind staying at this hotel, but I don't really look forward to it either.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had not stayed at this Courtyard property in many years.
My son and I booked an room for overnight. I was
very surprised how beautifully this Courtyard has been
updated and rooms decorated. Our room was very
nice, beds comfortable. Colors in the hotel are alive
and upbeat. The staff was courteous and pleasant.
There are still computers in the lobby to use. The hotel has free wifi
which is a big plus. Everything about the hotel and staff says we want you
to enjoy your stay. Oh yes, there is a new I Hop within walking distance
and of course the Jersey Outlet Mall is across the street. I will definitely stay here when I am in the Newark airport area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveling_Lady_2004
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We arrived from the airport...checked in and off to New York...upon returning we noticed a bed bug crawling on the top sheet toward me lying on the bed...then I preceeded to inspectthe mattress to find feces dropping all around the box spring and the mattress was stained...the management was prompt to assist but they agreed when to accomodate...like this been an on going problem....check check...before u sleep...anywhere especially where a lot of frequent..... Ugh ;(((((

• Stayed: December 2011
5  Thank shuggar913
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Stayed here because we were flying out of Newark to Mexico. First, they have a 24 hour a day shuttle to the airport. It leaves every half hour. You can park at the hotel and leave your car there until you return and its all FREE included with your room! When we returned we wanted to spend a day in NYC. The hotel can tell you how to get there. We used the following method and it was great (Also the most popular), take the free shuttle to the airport, take the free airtran, which is a monorail (the shuttles drop off and pick up at the airtran station). Take the airtran to the rail station, buy a ticket on the NJT to New York Penn station ($12.50 one way on weekends) and your there. Reverse it back home (Trains leave as late as 1 am). The trains leave about every fifteen minutes.

The hotel is very good, the rooms are large and comfortable. The is a small resturant at the hotel and several nice resturants, Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP a short walk away. Jersey Gardens Mall is across the road and they have a shuttle there by request (we drove over). This is a very large mall with many outlet stores and about 20 places to eat and theaters. So good food and entertainment nearby.

The hotel has a small market, with some fast foods, drinks. There is also free wi fi internet and you can print airline boarding passes the night before you leave.

If you want to go to NYC and need a inexpensive place to stay, this is the place, we paid $109 a night for a king size bed. PS for those who don't know NYC, Penn Station is below Madison Square Garden so if you want to go to a game or a concert this is the place to go.

The rooms were really clean, service was great and we really liked this place. PS-they have a nice gym area and a heated indoor pool. You really can't beat this place for a good stay.

The one negative and it really did not bother us is that this is close to Newark Airport and there is some plane noise but to be honest you really don't hear it unless you open the window.

Room Tip: This is a hotel complex, several others nearby. The front rooms have the best views. The West rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way to Cancun from the UK.

I chose this hotel because it saved us going into Manhattan when were only there for about 20 hrs in total and I liked the fact it was close to Jersey Gardens outlet mall. The pickup point from the airport for the courtesy bus was easy to find.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at the hotel but they let us leave our luggage and we went over the the mall. It's about a 5 minute walk to the mall, which you can see across the street. The mall has a good range of shops and we got some great bargains at Abercrombie and also in Saks off 5th. There is a good food court too, starbucks and quite a few other places to eat.

When we got back to the hotel a few hours later our room was ready and we were checked in quickly. Our room was comfortable with a large lcd with a good range of TV channels and a queen size bed. The room and bathroom were quite dated. We weren't bothered with any aircraft noise, we could here the planes earlier in the evening but it did become less frequent. The walls were quite thin in the room and we were more aware of the noise from next door. We also a light bite to eat at the bistro in the hotel and our food was really nice. The staff were nice and friendly as well.

I would definitely stay here again if I was on another stopover.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hotel-Guru-Kat
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Close to Newark airport and Jersey Gardens. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was bright and clean and lots of space. Shuttle to and from airport/Jersey Gardens was always on time. The only one negative complaint I had was that children would get on the computers in the lobby in the evening and stay on them for hours and the guests would not have access to the computers during this period.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends