“What's That Smell?”

Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2009

When I walked into the hotel it looked quite nice from the lobby area. When we got to the floor my room was on there was a noticeable smell. Also the carpet next to the door was damp. The smell persisted all weekend. Definitely not a 3 star hotel...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed August 30, 2009

The hotel had courtesy transportation from the airport to the hotel. Didn't state where to find it. Had a difficult time locating it. Found out at airport there are different places where different hotels pick up and no one knew where this hotel picked up. The elevators weren't functioning properly. I was on the 8th floor. Had a crowd waiting for awhile before elevators started working.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We chose this hotel due to its location and its association wtih the Marriot name. We were initially impressed by the attractiveness of the lobby and room. The desk person was indifferent but was not unpleasant. We came here to get a good night sleep before our flight from Newark the following morning at 7 a.m. That was not to be as several busses pulled up with VERY noisy people who just happened to converge on our floor. They were up until the wee hours banging doors closed, laughing hysterically and talking very loudly. When I called the front desk at midnight to complain the woman stated that she would have the manager call me. That never happened. Instead we found a coupon for a cup of coffee slid under our door. What an insult!!!. They sent up the security guard instead. He was of not help, and the noise continued.

Needless to say I would not recommend this hotel due to their unprofessional and shoddy handling of this type of situation. As a Marriot Rewards member I am highly disapppointed and wish for a refund. I guess I have to settle for a cup of cofee.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank shannyliv
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I stayed there on July 3rd and 4th. The room is very comfortable and the staff is friendly. HOWEVER, I woke with several bites that turned out to be bed bugs (at first I thought they were mosquito bites, but when they went from itching to hurting I asked somebody who know what they were).

I called twice to advise and complain. Both times I was transferred to Mr. Rick Rodriguez's phone, whose message advised me that he would be out of the office until April 23rd (this on July 5th and 6th).

Bottom line, I think this was once a very nice facility, that is being run down rapidly by budget cuts. Bed bugs!?! Out of date message boxes in a customer facing phone?!? No call backs on something as unhygienic as bed bugs?!?

My experience was not good.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank vswilson
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Airport shuttle was prompt and driver friendly. Check-in was easy. Marriott gold rewards did upgrade us to small room on concierge floor. The lounge for evening and morning breakfast was great!
But our room was so small and the walls were very thin. I heard a woman crying like a dog in heat most of the night. She was having a very good time!!! I was afraid to call the desk since my husband actually slept through it. He was exhausted!!!
Huge hotel but the location and rate was fine. Stayed at the Fairfield Inn on last trip to Newark and would choose that over the Renaissance property.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2009

This is by far the worst full service Marriott property I have stayed at. The carpet is filthy throughout the hotel. The wallpaper is peeling on every surface and the climate control in public areas is not functioning. The staff were too busy having conversations with each other to assist guests. The list goes on and on. One plus is that the furnishings in the rooms is new but that is the only thing that I was happy with.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank championsumo
Reviewed March 12, 2009

This hotel is minutes from Newark's Liberty Airport, and therefore, very convenient. It is not a destination location by any sense. But, if you find yourself needing lodging near the airport, this place is fine. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful, particularly David, the general manager. He really went out of his way to be friendly and helpful at every turn, as did all of the staff.
There is a nice pool, small workout room, and men's and women's saunas. The rooms are big, and have free wireless internet, LCD TVs and very comfortable beds.
I would return here in a heartbeat, if I were at Newark airport.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
0 mi away
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!