“Most Comfortable Beds!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tennesee
“Most Comfortable Beds!”
Reviewed December 12, 2008

The mattresses, pillows & bedding at the Renaisssance were superior. Every nights sleep was a good one. The rooms are a very nice size and equiped with a fridge. Housekeeping was excellent though I did have a problem for some reason getting ice bucket liners. The restaurant has a very good buffett breakfast. And there is free parking. The staff cordially fulfilled all our request. I'm glad we chose this hotel.

• Liked — The great group rate I received.
  • Disliked — Nothing not to like.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Browni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
canada
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I thought this hotel was very appropriate for the price.
we were there after 8 hours in the car and it was so nice to relax on the comfortable beds they had. we ate at the hotel since it was convienient. I wouldnt recommend the dining just because it was very slow and being young the waitress hardly checked on us.

The hotel itself was at the time being renovated from the outside. this made no difference in our stay, and I didnt even think twice about the "mess" so many people complained about. The inside was being painted near the elevators, but if you want a nice hotel, you need to improve the conditions like painting, so no complaints there. the renovators were very friendly and the staff was so helpful. it was our first time in the USA by ourselves and NYC is a big city, i felt they helped us get around better then I could have imagined.

The shuttle service was excellent, arriving about every 15minutes. The room itself did not have much of a view but was very comfortable to stay in.

The best part was the surprise ending where we paid $70 less then what we were quoted for the trip. For 4 nights of stay, I could not think of a better place outside of NYC to stay for the visit.

ps- the online pictures are EXACTLY what the hotel is. Do not be fooled by unhappy customers complaining about every detail. the pictures are real.

• Liked — flat screen TV :)
  • Disliked — the area, did not feel safe off the street we were located on.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yay083
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 13, 2008

This is in regards to a recent stay at the above mentioned hotel. I have stayed at many Marriott hotels and know your standards, this hotel is not one of them. I was very disappointed in my stay from the minute I pulled up. I could not believe this was where I was staying and personally wanted to stay elsewhere. I had called back in June 2008 to make my reservation for myself and my family (wife and 2 kids) and was given a great rate for a Renaissance. Now I know why I was offered such a rate with the conditions this hotel is in. I checked out the website and was impressed and excited to be staying there back in June 2008. This was our first visit to the east coast and sorry to say, the hotel experience did not add to the fond memories. I have stayed at Renaissance before and they are exquisit with excellent Marriott service - I expected the same here. On the website it states: "Recent Contemporary Renovations" - the hotel is torn up on the outside and construction was going on as we exited the elevator to our room. As the elevator doors opened there was torn up carpet and pad everywhere. We were put into room 835 and up until 12AM (finally fell asleep, so not sure if it was longer) the workers were still WORKING! You could hear them talking and walking around clearly. As we got ready to go to bed we noticed the door doesn't lock - the privacy lock. This is unacceptable especially with workers coming and going along the floor. You're suppose to use your room key to access the elevator (security reasons) and this too was not true. You could access any floor with no key - assuming because of the workers. Website states: "Updated Bathrooms, bathtubs with jet sprays and seperate tub and shower." Wrong - these bathrooms are old with old bathtubs. The only thing new is the granite counter tops and possibly the toilets. These were NOT Renaissance bathrooms. Website states: "Experience plush revive bedding." The comforters and sheets were nice but the bed itself was old with a mattress pad ontop to make it softer. The pillows were okay I guess, not like other Renaissance though. There was no uniformity of this hotel as all Renaissance should be. We had mentioned to the front desk the minute we checked in why the hotel looked as it did because on the webiste it made it seems as if it was about 1 year old. We were told it's newly owned by Marriott and has been a hotel on the property for 30 years but that there were granite counter tops and a 37 inch flat panel TV - as if that was suppose to make me feel better! I looked up about it and not sure about the 30 years, but was a Holiday Inn back in 1995 and then was owned by three other companies before being aquired by Marriott. It is stated about the hotel: "Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, in Newark, N.J., is an upscale, full-service hotel affiliated with the Marriott International, Inc. portfolio of branded luxury hotels." This is NOT in any means a luxury hotel as it should be. We had called the first night we were there to mention about the locks on the door and the construction going on (this was at 11pm). The front desk said that she could have maintenance come and fix the door. That was not going to fix the workers, though. We were told we could move floors in the morning and would be put into a newer room. We were put into room 936 and it was THE SAME room - not new one bit and the lock did not work in that room either. Both rooms had bad coffee makers (the one in room 835 did not work at all) and the one in 936 worked partially (never brewed completely). When calling the front desk to aquire an extra blanket I had to call three times to finally get one. This also happened on the first day of checking in when we needed another bath towel (there are 4 of us and they only put 3 towels in bathroom) we never received it. I ended up getting it from the pool area instead. On Friday, 10/10/08 when we woke up to get ready we noticed there was no hot water. We called the front desk, no answer. Went down to the front desk and was told it was brought to their attention about an hour prior to us saying anything and they were working on it. We waited for over an hour and still no hot water. Went back down again and was told they did not know why and were working on it. Was not offered anything to compensate willingly. After I stayed there for a few minutes I was told, "well, do you want free breakfast?" in a hesitant voice, not apologetic for this happening. We accepted this offer and went to the Libery Grille downstairs. On your website it states: "For a delightful dining experience, visit Liberty Grille, a Newark Hotel restaurant serving delectable American cuisine." That is an overstatement. We arrived in the restaurant at 10am and ordered. At about 11:15am we still hadn't received our food and never saw our waiter again. One of the ladies that worked there came over and we mentioned that we hadn't gotten our food yet. About 10 minutes (almost 11:30am!) later our waiter came out with the food and not one word was said by him. The food was not fresh. You could tell it had been sitting, waiting to be served and then they just heated it up before bringing it out. I know it was complimentary, but that doesn't mean we have to be served under par food because of it. We signed the ticket and left. When we arrived back at the hotel that evening (around 10:30pm) the hot water was warm, not hot. By this time we just chalked it up that we were not going to get anything good out of this hotel. The website states: "Offering complimentary wireless Internet in the lobby and soundproof windows throughout, this is not a typical Newark airport hotel." There was no complimentary wireless internet at all. The only internet available was to check on your flight status. I suppose the one thing that was true was about the sound proof windows, the planes were not too loud being right across from the airport. On Saturday, 10/11/08 we received our bill and I noticed a $9 charge on there from the restaurant. The same front desk woman who nonchallantly asked if we wanted breakfast had charged that to our bill for the tip from the food. Very unprofessional - we'll offer you complimentary breakfast but you have to pay the tip even though this would'nt be something you'd be paying for IF there was hot water! The front desk took it off as I checked out - that was shocking after the 4 nights I spent there. Although after getting my updated bill, it was not handed to me happily. I just wanted to leave.
I have never stayed at a hotel that has gone under renovations that has been a good experience and if I knew this one was, I would have NEVER made my reservation here to save myself this headache and experience. When I mentioned this to the front desk clerk/manager (same woman as before) I was told, "well there's nothing I can do about it, sorry." I'm not sure if these are Marriott trained employees or employees from the previous hotel, but they need to be trained correctly for this grade of a hotel. I've had better service and quality from lower hotels. I have always enjoyed ALL Marriott hotels and this experience has made me a bit leary as to the hotels I stay at now just going by websites and pictures. The information on your website for this particular hotel is very misleading and is false advertising indeed. I wish our trip could have been more pleasant and I'm quite upset, but what's done is done. I'll learn for the next trip I guess.

Be careful of photo's - hotel does not look like this. I wish I had pictures to share, but did not want to waste my memory on it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lisamarie1973
chicago
Reviewed August 29, 2008

This is a very good hotel for the price and location.

My stay there was well above good. The only negative I experienced while there was the construction that was going on. They are updating one whole wing of the hotel which caused my phone and wireless service to be interrupted for a day but that did not bother me because I came for vacation anyway not to sit in front of a computer. While the phones were being worked on I took this as my chance to hop the shuttle and go shopping.

THE HOTEL...
My room was spotless, nice size for a double, very very comfortable bed, and very big screen television, I think it was a 47 inch flat screen. The hotel staff was nice, the lady at the front desk let me check in early and was also very helpful in helping me pick out things to do while there. The hotel bar/lounge is very cozy, prices were reasonable and the food was very good. They have a business center, although quite small, it served the purpose of having a place to check emails or send correspondence if needed. The hotel shuttle drivers were very helpful, nice, and accommodating.

THE LOCATION...
If you are looking for a place to stay with the ability to walk right out of your hotel and hit a club, this is not the place. This is one drawback of the hotel, there is nothing around there. There are no restaurants, stores, or bars, but if you are looking for a place that is reasonable, comfortable, and quiet, this is the place. Although it is quite close to the airport I did not experience any problem with airplane noise and my room was facing the airport. Not being from there I did read the reviews before I booked and someone did mention that the location was bad but being a skeptic I booked anyway, let me just say they were absolutely right. But, hold on, the shuttle driver did take me to a Denny's that was down the street and he did come back and pick me up once I was done dining. I wouldn't have known this was an option if I hadn't asked, so don't be afraid to ask the front desk for something, you never know what the drivers can do for the guest. Just make sure you give the driver a tip when exiting the bus. While there for my three days I would say I probably spent about $40 in tips to the drivers, they treated me very nicely and was always willing to accommodate me.

THE COMMUTE TO NY...
So with that said, and if you are going back and forth to New York getting there from this hotel is as simple as 123. The hotel shuttle takes you back to the airport, from there you take the New Jersey Train right into Penn Station downtown Manhattan. The ride from New Jersey to New York cost about $16 one way. So, if you are going back to NY more that once just set aside money for the trains because they were not as cheap as I thought. Once in Manhattan I also had to catch another subway train to go down to Canal St which cost about another $6-7.

So, with that said, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Heavener, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Don't even bother reading the rest of the reviews about this hotel! Spare yourself the agony that I went through there.

To start, I was stuck in the elevator since it would not even get to the floor wherein the room was located. I had to press the alarm button and was advised to swipe my room key through this credit card-like little machine just to open the door.

The room I was placed in (I checked in past 1 a.m. after a very tedious, long trip) had wires hanging down the ceiling. If there had been a fire, I would have burned like a toast, as there was no safe way out.

Some of the other doors in the other rooms, on the same floor (3rd floor, which is under renovation), were left unlock and partially open. Anyone could be hiding there and you might just not wake up alive the next morning.

The carpet was stained, dusty and dirty. There were junk under the reclining chair. I even found a pair of used car rugs under the bed.

The hotel's reservation desk representative was notified by phone twice of my late arrival to ensure that a room would remain reserved. Instead, I ended up being in a room straight from hell.

At 1 a.m., I was simply too exhausted to look for another place in which to sleep. Although I woke up alive, I was covered with huge, multiple, raised, reddened and painful bedbug bites from head to toe. One of my eye became so red from the bites that I feared I was going to end up septic.

Now, I will have disgusting scars throughout my body that would remind me of this extremely horrendous experience.

And, guess what, management tried all their might not to take any responsibilty nor accountability whatsoever.

But, that did not last long. I demanded for what was right and did not get charged for my stay there. I could have chosen a more punitive recourse, but I just wanted so badly to get out of that nightmare.

Never, ever again will I stay in a hotel with the name Marriott attached to it!

Horrible, horrible, horrible!

Stay away from the Renaissance by Marriott! Stay away!!!

• Liked — None!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed August 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We stayed 5 days here for a conference. Although our conference was only 2 days, we decided to extend our stay for a bit of a holiday & sightseeing. All in all, we had a very good experience. We found the staff very attentive and willing to go above & beyond to please. From our inquiry on reheating leftovers by the kitchen staff (a microwave was brought to our room) to having a package delivered to the hotel (brought personally to the room by the director of Security, Rick) - everyone was so helpful! The rooms are comfortable with little extras such as great bedding, plush robe, & the in-room fridge. The maid service was one of the best we have ever encountered (and I really notice this since I run a janitorial company). We found the internet charge a bit steep ($10.00 for 12 noon to 12 midnight time frame); but there is also a business center on the first floor with computers, although we could not connect our own laptap here. A car is recommended to get around as there is not much in walking distance. We would definitely stay here again if we had to come to this area.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — On-site Restaurant choices
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I stayed in this hotel on May 17 until the 19th as a cheaper alternative to staying in downtown New York. The location is very convenient, as it is on the service road of US 1-9. The New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway are all within close proximity, and of course, the airport.

As you enter the driveway to the hotel, you have to pass a security guard, as the parking lot is gated 24 hours a day. The lobby is quite luxurious with beige granite everywhere. Reception staff is very polite and courteous, and even assisted us in making a reservation at a restaurant which only does "call ahead"!!!

The rooms are very clean and up to date, as they were recently renovated. The beds are out-of-this-world comfortable with pillow top matresses and down duvets....you are guaranteed to have a great night of sleep!!! There is also a great flat screen TV and a decent sized desk. When taking the elevator up to the room, you have to insert your room key before you are able to select your floor.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel especially if you are considering a weekend of shopping in NY city. There is also a great mall nearby (Garden State Plaza) and an outlet mall (Jersey Gardens). Dining options are plentiful, providing that you have a car. The Cheesecake Factory is located at the Jersey Gardens mall, as well as several other restaurants.

*Most of the hotels in Elizabeth are situated near this hotel, namely the Hilton Newark Airport and the Hampton Inn (see my review), both of which are great options.

• Liked — The cleanliness, location, and safety!!
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast included with the stay.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Y0ungtraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,624 reviews
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!