“Customer Experience:Highly Disappointed”

Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I knew my wife and I would be getting into Newark late on the 9th or early on the 10 of April. Notified front desk of same. I even called to let them know I would be arriving about 1:30 AM because of flight issues. Checked and was informed shuttle runs every 30 minutes at that time of night. After finally getting to Newark and over to the shuttle pick up I called via courtesy phone and was told driver would be notified. 1 Hour later called again and was told the same thing. (By this time every conceivable shuttle in Newark had driven by at least once if not twice) this time I asked exactly what time and was told 7 minutes and we would be picked up. Seven minutes later we were picked up in cold van (obviously hadn't been used in awhile). At that point I didn't care if I slept in a tent. Hotel looked nice and under other circumstance may have enjoyed the place...however; given the circumstance and effort I made to keep the hotel aware of my situation it was apparent they lacked customer concern and this was a highly disappointing event.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TRIBOB_7745
Monika V, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us. We strive to provide a great experience for all of our guests and your comments will help us focus our attention to ensure situations like these do not happen again. Our shuttle service is an important part of our hotel's daily activities and we will review with the staff so we can learn from this incident. Thank you again for your review - we hope that if your travels bring you back to the Newark Airport area you would consider giving us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to service.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Book this hotel last minute. Booked based on previous reviews, and they turned out to be good. Hotel has been renovated nicely, and the hotel lobby and rooms were nice. I was even doubly impressed with how nice my room smelled. Restaurant bar was really nice as well, Ernesto & Nick (bartenders) were great and entertaining. I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely recommend to a friend!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Monika V, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thanks for the excellent review! I am so happy to hear that our lounge staff took such great care of you. We are looking forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Had an overnight stay before heading to Texas. Usually stay at Marriott but had been disappointed last visit. I read reviews about this hotel and they weren't good but had heard by word of mouth very good reports . I am so glad I stayed here and would highly recommend it . Excellent , location with courtesy bus that takes you to local restaurants and picks you up , I call that excellent service and staff extremely polite . Facilities were ample for corporate and leisure visitors. Nice sized pool and lounge area with pool and gym. Restaurant with a decent menu and separated from bar area by a swish curtain. A relaxing library area with large glass gas fire, leather backed armchairs, comfy sofa , chess board , selection of books. Small gift shop area with cards , chocolates other bits and pieces. Executive lounge which is open, comfortable and healthy selection of nibbles , salad , asparagus , pasta and European cheeses. breakfast was equally as good and Rebecca is such a pleasant server . Rooms are modern with an extremely comfortable king sized bed and linen to die for. Very pleasant bathroom . I had the most pleasant evening and will definitely return. Staff are exceptionally helpful and well informed . It has renewed my faith in the Renaissance Brand.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank annie_champagne2004
Reviewed March 31, 2014

As noted by the title of my review, this hotel is an a very convenient location next to the Newark airport, and I chose it for that reason. It took about 4 minutes to get to the hotel, and when we walked in, we were greeted by a very friendly staff. They were great.

Pros
-Location: Once again, the location is very convenient.
-Restaurant: Very good restaurant, in fact, I was quite surprised how good the food was. The atmosphere was also great and lively. Very impressed.
-Gym: Although slightly small, it had the basic workout machines (elliptical, treadmills, free weights, etc).

Cons
-Although it appears that this location has tried to do some room renovations, there are still some signs of a worn out room (loose bathroom fixtures, mold in the caulking, little counter space).
-Very thin doors. I essentially heard hair dryers, showers, toilets and TV's simply by walking down the hallway. And at night, heard everyone going into their room as well.
-Housekeeping - not sure why, but my toothpaste, floss were gone when I returned to my room in the evening, and they forgot to give me any shampoo or soap.

Overall - I probably would not stay here again based on the issue of noise from the very thin doors, but once again, the staff and restaurant were excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Monika V, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear we were able to provide such a wonderful service experience. We have also shared your feedback with our Housekeeping and Engineering teams so we can continue to work to provide our guests with a wonderful product. if you do decide to visit us in the future, please feel free to reach out to us in advance so we can ensure you have a better experience with us.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

March is supposed to be springtime and we took 200 Atlanta area high school students and chaperones on a 4 day bus trip to NYC, basing our operation at the Renaissance. The property was above and beyond our expectations. Absolutely everything was handled with ease and a huge feeling of relief was shared by our trip organizers. Comfortable, spacious rooms and amenities, with a quiet, restful ambiance throughout the facility. Check in for our herd was quick and easy; room keys were sorted out ahead of our arrival and ready to go. A very special shout out and appreciative thank you to the Renaissance team that accommodated us so well; Restaurant Manager Frances, Event Organizer/Handler Tami, our excellent Front Desk Clerk Tiffany and the one that keeps all the pieces of the puzzle together, Branch Manager Ms. Monika. Comfort was a given and hospitality was at its best. Kudos all around from the entire group and for making our stay extra special.

Room Tip: Room location should not be a problem; well laid out floor plan.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank William H

Thanks for your wonderful review! We hope your group enjoyed your time here in the NJ/NY area!!! It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Very nicely appointed; I was in a recently renovated king-bedded room; rooms are clean and modern; Lobby restaurant is good; Free shuttle to airport; Front desk personal very helpful and educated on subject matter.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank J M
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Very nicely appointed; I was in a recently renovated king-bedded room. Lobby restaurant is good; had crabcake appetizer for lunch. Free shuttle runs from AirTrain stop at airport. (Hotel manager personally responded to an inquiry I sent to the main Marriott reservations address about how to get there from the airport--nice touch.) The flight crew (ex-Continental, now United) from my flight from Tokyo stayed at the same hotel and said it was the best place to stay in the area. While I liked my room, the public spaces weren't really my style and the freight-like elevators far from the main lobby left a less polished impression for an otherwise nicely renovated hotel. Excellent toiletries by Thann. Good breakfast in the concierge lounge.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank FanofTA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#4 of 14 in Elizabeth
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
SpringHill Suites Newark Liberty International Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!