“Ask for a good room”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida USA
“Ask for a good room”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The only reason I even gave this two stars is that the bartender makes a good drink (important) and the concierge lounge was good. The room are so poorly laid out and so small that we were not able to put my husband's suitcase anywhere convenient or open my garment bag...just few attention to details overall on other things. It was so annoying and so cramped. Do not get room 1005 as it is across from Concierge Lounge, terrible, loud location. I would not personally stay at this hotel again in comparison to all the others available, however I assume there are good things I just never saw....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
BOS
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I arrived 4 hours late because once again United was having MX issues and was very pleased how fast I got to the hotel. Shuttle to the hotel came fast and was on the way to my room in no time. Lounge was still open late in the evening and they still had some snacks out which I appreciated! The room was nicely refurbished and much better than I recalled from my last visit. Breakfast in the lounge was kind of slow key and while it worked o.k. for me I could see others not being too happy. Check-out was fast and I was on my way to the rental cars very quickly. After the room remodelings the EWR Ren is a very nice hotel for an airport stay and I already booked another stay in a few weeks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel to stay at the airport. The only critique is that the hallways between the elevator and your rooms are sweltering hot!!! Clean. Comfortable. Food in the restaurant is overpriced but a nice hotel nonetheless.

• Stayed July 2013
New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is quite a good hotel. This was the seond time we stayed here and both were occasioned by flight problems that required an unscheduled, day late start to vacations, so we needed a good place to sooth our frazzled nerves. We got a big king bed room with a view of the runways, but it was totally soundproof and very quiet. As an upscale Marriott brand they give you a higher level of design and comfort both in the room and the common areas. It was very quiet, despite a good level of occupancy. There is little or nothing to do anywhere near the hotel so we stayed put. We remembered that when we ate there two years ago the hotel restaurant was excellent so we did that again and were not disappointed. It has a Portuguese/Mediterranean flair reminsicent of the nearby Ironbound District of Newark. The food was terrific, the service was friendly but not overbearing and the prices were relatively reasonable.

The hotel itself was quite expensive - we paid nearly $300.00 w/ taxes. The Hampton next door was sold out; much cheaper. We also looked at a Hilton nearby and that was shabby by comparison and not any cheaper to speak of. I suppose you get what you pay for and we did not have many choices. The Marriott right at the terminals is not nearly as nice and cost just as much and this hotel is maybe a 5 minute shuttle ride to the terminal. So if you are willing to spend that much or can get a better rate I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for airport view and high floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed August 2, 2013

OK, I just have to spread the news: this hotel is really good for an airport hotel.

What I really liked:

1. Our room was very sound proof. On our side of the hotel hallway, we overlooked a residential area, and we did not see or hear airplanes.
2. We had dinner and lunch at the bar/restaurant, and the food/ambiance was good. Check out the bathrooms just outside the restaurant, meeting room areas, they are fantastic: super modern.
3. After check-in, we discovered the carpet in our room was soaking wet. We called the front desk and they were very quick to apologize and ask us our preference for having the problem fixed or moving to another room. We asked to move and were glad we did, the new room was more spacious and smelled super fresh (compared to the one we vacated). The desk staff came up to us very quickly after we called to personally hand us the new room keys and apologized again.
4. The hotel lobby, library, business center and restaurant/bar areas are very stylish and inviting.

Dislikes: None.

Room Tip: Chose the side that overlooks the residential area, and we did not see or hear airplanes. Very soun...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We didn't know where to go and decided on this Marriott ! It is a beautiful hotel, comfortable and artistically spacious ! We had two rooms for 4 nights! Great customer service and even greater staff on hand around the clock. I would go back and stay there another 4 plus days !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Louisville
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

United Airlines missed our connecting flight to Israel. Then, they left our group of 12 people stranded at the airport at midnight after promising to put us up in a hotel. After making a few calls from the airport, we found the Renaissance Hotel. They picked us up at the airport and were able to accommodate our entire group at a reasonable room rate. The hotel was modern and well maintained. The bedding and pillows were very comfortable. Because we had to wait 24 hours for the next flight, they gave us a 2:00 p.m. late checkout. After that, we hung out in the spacious and comfortable lobby and restaurant areas. We ate breakfast and lunch there. Both were very good. Unlike the folks at United, the hotel personnel were friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#4 of 14 in Elizabeth
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport

Been to Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!