“Surprisingly excellent!”

Ironbound Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #11 of 245 Restaurants in Elizabeth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: As one of the best restaurants Newark, NJ has to offer, Ironbound is the ideal choice for locals, and business and leisure guests. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the day, we help travelers revamp for whatever adventure awaits.
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We were staying next door at the Hampton and went over to the Ironbound at the Renaissance Hotel because we saw good reviews on Tripadvisor. The Buffalo mozzarella and tomato salad was big and beautiful and full of freshness and flavour. The Chicken wings were just as big and flavourful. Very big and very good for $12. My wife had a very hearty looking chicken salad and said it was just fine. We highly recommend this place if you are in the neighbourhood.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've eaten in this restaurant before - but heard they had changed chefs since the last time I was here. Kristin has been the chef at Ironbound only 3 months, but has made a great impact! My favorite area to eat is at the big high tops in the bar - the atmosphere makes you feel great - which isn't always easy when traveling on business. I ordered soup (also outstanding) and mussels. I had to write this review because of these mussels. I've eaten mussels all over the world and I have never had them as wonderful as this. Kristin came out to let us know how she prepared them and her love of creating truly unique dishes came through. The mussels were done with a sherry/onion cream - different types of onions reduced over 2 hours. I understand they are completely reworking the menu that will debut next week. I'll be here!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

While traveling to Newark on business, my host suggested we dine at the Renaissance's Iron bound resturant. I reluctantly went along knowing that usually hotel food is just average. I was pleasantly surprised with my meal. The tomato bisque was some of the best I have eaten; my pork chop was good size, grilled and flavorful. However a major drawback is the entree comes with only one side; I had french fries because many of the vegtables were not appealing, for instance the spinach gratin was too soupy and not much spinach. The Benyas were excellent fried to perfection dusted with powdered sugar and served with chocolate and caramel dipping sauces; kudos! I raved so about the Bisque and Benyas that Chef Kristin came to my table, she has great ideas for the resturant and her love of cooking was evident. I give Ironbound 31/2 stars,; I will certainly add Ironbound to my list!

1  Thank FT V
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The wait staff was fabulous! The restaurant and hotel are beautifully decorated!! The food was a bit pricey. I was not thrilled with the meatloaf (recommended by the staff), but the flatbread pizza was pretty good. I found this place on restaurant.com and purchased a gift certificate. Overall, I will give it another try when I'm in the area.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed next door at the Hampton Inn, but since they don't have a restaurant, the staff recommended Ironbound at the Renaissance Hotel. Excellent food quality and service. Good wine and beer list. The meal was a bit pricey however.