“Stayed at nicer one star hotels.”

Wingate by Wyndham Atlantic City West
Kansas City
“Stayed at nicer one star hotels.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The first thing we noticed when we walked into the room was the stench. It smelled like chlorine and mildew mixed together. My husband walked into the bath and discovered we had been placed in a handicap room. The staff upon check in failed to tell us this. The shower was a walk in (no tub). The bench had not been folded back up to the wall. The shower head was on a height adjustable track. It would not stay up, so one had to shower while holding the shower head up.

The next morning when I complained, the manger said not to tell him but to complain to Expedia. I told him that Expedia is not responsible for maintenance that the hotel is. Not only that, I don't why he said Expedia, I booked through Priceline.

Miserable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Atlantic City West, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I am so sorry for the inconviences you had during your stay. I would like to opportunity to speak with you about your stay personally, if you would please call the hotel. When booking through an internet site, while they do save you money and we love our internet partners, most of them book our standard room without a guaranteed room type, meaning whatever room we have when you arrive is what you are put into. Since handicap rooms are not allowed to be used unless requested by the guest or as a last sell, I am assuming this was a time when we were sold out and had no other room type. However, our agents should have advised you of this prior to giving you the keys. I will speak with our agents about this and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I have also sent our engineering team out to ensure the bathroom is fixed properly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Cranford, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Wanted to take the kids to see the fireworks in AC and was going to Wildwood the next day. Hotel is in the middle of renovations so fresh paint and carpet looks like is in process. Room was very clean and beds were fine. Can't say anything bad and got a good rate. Hotel is within 15 mins of casinos so location was great. Would stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Atlantic City West, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We are thrilled you had an enjoyable holiday and that we could be a part of that. Our location is a big plus for many, being right off the parkway and expressway. Just minutes from so many shore locations. Thank you again for taking the time. We look forward to seeing you again!
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My family of 3 have been coming to this hotel for the past 6 years, usually twice a year in the summertime. 6 years ago, this hotel was awesome. Clean, comfortable rooms and very comfortable beds. Today, we are staying in one of our favorite rooms and the beds are so uncomfortable, the bathroom isn't as clean as it could be and the breakfast is just okay. The coffee is horrible. It's so watered down, don't even bother drinking it.

On July 4th, there was an incident at the pool. A young boy about 4 swallowed pool water and was drowning. He was taken out of the pool and proceeded to throw up outside of the pool on the concrete that surrounds the pool. The parent of this child, after making sure his child was okay, did not even attempt to clean up the vomit. They Just left it there. So other people started to step in it, because they showed up after the fact and did not know or see the vomit. After stepping in it, they jumped into the pool. I was completely grossed out and removed myself from the pool.

Another family put there infant in the pool and didn't have some sort of baby diaper or swim diaper on her. If this baby had an accident, the pool would have had to been closed. Doody is a real spoiler of pool fun.

My wife went to the front desk to tell the person in charge about what was going on at the pool. She explained to them about the vomit and the infant without a diaper, and the person behind the desk said there wasn't anything she could do about it. The person behind the desk called housekeeping or maintenance who never showed up to clean up the vomit. The remnants were there the next morning.

On July 6, I called or asked for bath towels 4 separate times between 5 and 9pm and was told they would be there soon. After the 4th time, I found out the truth about the towels. There weren't any. Because the night before the rooms were sold out and there was a shortage. How does a hotel not have enough bath towels, especially since they knew ahead of time the hotel would be sold out.

The hotel overall was fairly clean. I felt the pool could have been cleaner. On July 7, I was the first one in the pool and there were a lot of dead bugs, which is to be expected, but there was also hair from the previous day. I'm not sure if the filter was turned onovernig, but if it was, it should have cleaned the water better.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Atlantic City West, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We depend on this information to improve our operations. I would like to apologize for the issues you had during your stay. That weekend was quite busy and we did have some issues with a washing machine going down causing a shortage of clean towels and we were definately short on staff. I am so sorry this affected your stay. We are very glad to say that both issues have been addressed. We have more staff and our washer is back up! Please come back and see us again so we can wow you. we would love to see you again!

Travelers are raving about these Egg Harbor Township hotels

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for the great price and proximity to Atlantic City. I read reviews ahead of time and knew this hotel was under renovation, so there were no surprises there. They are being smart about the renovation by upgrading rooms first, since that's where you will spend most of your time at the hotel. Our room was great, all new furniture and appliances, including a flat screen tv. I couldn't tell if the carpet was new, but it didn't look warn out. The hallway and rooms had all been recently painted, so it looked really nice. The outside of the building and the grounds aren't particularly appealing to the eye, and the elevators need some serious updating. But renovations take time and it can't all be done at once! Went over for the breakfast, but it was a madhouse so we decided to just pick something up on our way home. The pool looked nice, though I did not go in. Overall, I would definitely stay at this property again. You can't beat the price if you're in the area. Once the renovation is complete, this property will easily be at the same level as newer Holiday Inn Express properties.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate you taking the time to write in. We are so glad you had a nice stay. Our renovations are under way and look forward to the outside being completed so it will match the new interrior. We are breaking ground on the outside and new lobby as we write. Hope to see you again soon.
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed on the out skirts of Atlantic City on a Saturday in June although I get comped in the casinos , Saturdays are usually not included and end up being very expensive.The room it
self was nice ,very clean ,flat screen tv and all the usual amenities. I know the hotel is under
construction so I will overlook the carpets in the hall ways ,they definitely need to be replaced.
The free breakfast was a great plus in the morning, it was self serve and had quite a variety.
I didn't like the rooms being separated from the hotel lobby, but you needed a key card to get in the main door, I would most likely stay again

f being very expensive, So this was
a first for me, Found it on line very inexpensive for 2 queen beds , although the rooms are
not attached to the hotel lobby it still in very nice inside the room, much like the casinos ,flat
screen tv and other amenities. It is under constructions so I will forgive the rugs in the hall ways the definitely need to be replaced. Free breakfast in the morning was a big plus, it was self
serve and had a great variety

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Atlantic City West, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay this past weekend. Yes, we are undergoing renovations that includes attaching the lobby to the sleeping room cooridors. We hope you come back and stay with us again!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while in the area for a wedding. We chose to stay here because it was closer to AC than the hotel block for the wedding. For what we paid, it was perfect. Our room was clean and large. One of the reasons we chose to stay here was because it provided free breakfast and a shuttle. The breakfast was good for a free hotel breakfast- no complaints. The shuttle was a little misleading. "Resorts" is an actual casino in AC, and a big one at that. So when you go in and ask for the shuttle back to egg harbour, it takes awhile for sometime to know what you talking about exactly. We did manage to catch the shuttle, but it goes to several hotels so we were basically the last stop and on the shuttle for over an hour. So if you are in a hurry the shuttle wouldn't be the way to go, but it worked for us. I would stay here again if in town for another whirlwind weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
COORDINATOR78, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Atlantic City West, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
We are so very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay! We appologize for the misleading information of the shuttle as it gets a bit confusing with the Casino being named "Resorts", not being from the area, it is very understandable why this can cause from confusion. This is an outsourced company so unfortunately we do not have control over their scheduled pick up and drop off times, but we are glad you were able to accomodate your needs. We do wish you will come and stay with us again!
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Okay, so I am becoming a hotel snob... after having stayed in some pretty nice places lately, maybe I feel that everyplace should be at that standard.

This HI Express was certainly not what I had hoped. The young lady at the front desk was nice enough as we checked in, giving us directions to nearby restaurants for lunch. When we moved our car around to the hotel building, the experience really kicked in. The elevators were a rough and noisy ride up and down (glad our room was away from there). The hallway near our room had a high power fan to dry off some recently soaked carpet on the 3rd floor. And for the two recent reviewers who noted a musty barnlike smell on the first floor... its still there!

Make sure you pick up your feet when walking on the third floor hallway, as there are carpeting "speed bumps" near the elevator. You could easily take a spill.

The bathroom was small, with no exhaust fan and the towels placed in an odd location away from the sink and over the toilet. The TV was a bit dated looking (we only had it on briefly and it worked ok). The pillows on the bed just barely passed the definition of a pillow... they were "Cabbage Patch" sized and had little substance to them. The room had an overall damp kind of feel, and the window did not open. Oh yes, and when the AC fan came on in the night, the noise reminded me of standing near an airport runway.

We didn't stick around for breakfast or to use the pool, so no comments about those. Certainly convenient to the Garden State Parkway, and about 15 minutes into downtown Atlantic City on local roads.

I understand that they are undergoing renovation, and that "s**t happens", but until you read from another reviewer that those renovations are over and that they have better reviews, I would skip this place.

Room Tip: Advice to choose a good room? Go to a Marriott Courtyard!