“Hopefully it won't happen again...”

El Coyote Southwest Grill
Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hopefully it won't happen again...”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Let me start off by saying my family loves El Cayote. We have been eating there since they opened and frequent it regularly. The staff has always been great and attentive to our needs so that is why it is difficult for me to write this review. Prior to our most recent visit our food and service has been top notch. My motive for writing this review it to alert the staff of my unpleasant experience rather than deter others from eating here.
During my last visit to El Cayote I left feeling very uncomfortable. My family came in later in the evening and were the only table in the place until another group of individuals came in. The individuals sat next to us and held completely inappropriate conversations while we tried to sit and enjoy our dinner. Before we knew it, we were completely surrounded by the majority of the restaurant staff including the cooks from the kitchen. I felt like a table in the kitchen would have been better than sitting and hearing curse words over and over again. This is supposed to be a family friendly environment but by no means would I ever want my children to overhear the conversations we were hearing!
We chose a dinner out rather than cooking so we could relax and enjoy each other and left the restaurant regretting that decision.
This was one of the first time we left feeling like we just wasted our hard earned money. My husband was extremely disappointed in his meal while I at least enjoyed the taste of my meal but had a difficult time enjoying it due to the circumstance.
Like I said from the start, we love this place but I had to express my dissatisfaction from my recent experience. Just as the title reads...hopefully it won't happen again

1 Thank Anchor16
Thomas C, Owner at El Coyote Southwest Grill, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Please let us start out by apologizing for any inappropriate behavior by our other guest or our staff. We take your feedback very serious and enjoy hearing from our guest. The owners are on property 95% of the time they are there to correct any mistakes or problems as they occur.

If there is something during your visit with us that you do not like please ask to see the owner.
Mary, Tom or Jared would be very appreciative letting them know right away so they could correct the problem so you could go on enjoying your time with us.

Please go to our web site and send us an email with your user name Anchor 16 and an address so we can send you a coupon for dinner for two, so you and your husband can come back and enjoy your meal with us.

The Corona family

Galloway, New Jersey
“A nice treat!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife has been wanting to take me since she went with her mother.
What a nice surprise.
Located on a strip mall at a gas station, the place doesn't have curbside appeal but don't let it fool you.
Inside is a quaint and nice small restaurant. The menu has many of the Mexican staples.
It is BYOB, I didn't know but no biggie as we had the kids.
Service was nice, and food delicious.
My wife has the chicken soup and I had the empanadas.
Her tamales and my chimichanga were great and nice portions. We couldn't finish.

Will return.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank RRM1020
We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for your review, Please come see us again we look forward to serving you.

The Corona Family
new jersey
“always a good meal”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Have eaten here several times and always have found the food to be delicious and made from the freshest ingredients. Most recently (thanksgiving weekend) i had the chile relleno and a tostada. Both dishes provided ample portions and I brought some home. Chips are crisp and fresh. Salsa verde is perfect! Waitstaff is friendly and attentive. My only "complaint" is that I have found it to be a little uncomfortable in terms of room temp-It always seems cold regardless of time of year but that would not stop me from returning.

• Visited November 2013
We are glade you enjoyed your time with us and the staff at El Coyote looks forward to serving you in the future.

The Corona Family
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Great value”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Great taste and service. We visited the restaurant on our way to cape May. The service was great. The salsa verde so good I asked to take some home. They gave it me for nothing. The lunch was filling. I had the sopas. The rice was fresh and tasty.

• Visited October 2013
nh
“Seriously?”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I just can't believe this place got all these great reviews. My first problem is that the place is BYOB. Had I known I couldn't get a margarita, I wouldn't have even bothered stopping in. I have never seen a Mexican restaurant without a liquor license.
We are from NH, where we have a number of authentic family run Mexican restaurants. This is VERY far from authentic. We were terribly disappointed. I won't go into everything we ordered, but everything we tried was bland. I thought my taste buds were malfunctioning. The portions were large, but the dishes were visually boring and tasted as they looked- boring. The food wasn't bad. It just isn't great.
I can only compare this to a Chipotle type restaurant. If Chipotle is Mexican to you, you might enjoy this place. But if you're looking for an authentic Mexican run restaurant with a variety of delicious and visually appealing dishes, look elsewhere. We love Mexican food. There was no Mexican food to be found here - sadly.

• Visited October 2013
Thomas C, Owner at El Coyote Southwest Grill, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us. First we would love to have a liquor license however NJ is different than other states there are only so many liquor licenses available in municipalities and if one is available the cost is around $250,000 and up, with us being a small family run restaurant with only 37 seats we could not make that kind of investment. BYOB is very popular in small restaurants in NJ and most people love BYOB because of the cost savings to our guest. As far as our Mexican food our Chef and Prep Chef are husband and wife from Puebla Mexico and all our Mexican dishes are family recipes handed down for generations. If you go to our website and leave me your name address we would love to send you a gift certificate and invite you back and have our Chef personally take care of you and your guest and explain our menu to you. We do have dishes that are not Mexican dishes like Shrimp and Crab in a white wine sauce over rice and Ribeye steak we do this so all our guest can enjoy their meal even if they are not a fan of Mexican Food. We take our responsibility to our guest very seriously and again we would love to have you back.