“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Reservations
Mays Landing, New Jersey
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

You wouldn't give much of a thought to stop in and eat at this restaurant if you were driving by. It is in a strip mall, and a gas station pump is between the road and the restaurant. It is flanked in the strip mall by take-out Chinese food and a convenience store. You almost do not even notice it. All that is a shame because this little gem has some real serious food.

I was there with some friends and we started with the standard chips and salsa. There were red and green salsas and both had a nice kick though one was much hotter than the other and very fresh taste. The chips were served warm and were refilled whenever they ran low. For an appetizer, I had their tequilla lime wings, which was unique and delicious. I certainly recommend them! For my main course, I had their ribeye steak, which I asked them to make spicy and for some of their green chili on the side (in pure New Mexico style, they had a choice of red and green chili). The steak was cooked perfectly to medium rare, very well seasoned and spiced, adn the green salsa was the best I have had anywhere outside New Mexico and Colorado.

It is a small place and everything is made to order so the food was a little slow in coming, but well worth it in the end. OUr server was friendly, efficient, and helpful. I do highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank TheNJBen

Ocean City, New Jersey
“Great little find”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I have both eaten in here many times. The food has always been great and consistent. We ordered takeout over the weekend and also have eaten in the restaurant many times. The portions are very large and plentiful. The owner is onsite and staff very pleasant. Food definately gets a thumbs up from us. Authenic and delicious!!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank jrsyshoregrl
Philadelphia
“Great Mexican Even Better Desserts”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Had dinner here last night. It's BYOB and we bought a margarita bottle mix and all you had to do was add it into the iced glasses the restaurant provided. Very easy.

This is a smallish place so on a Saturday night it's important to make reservations. Loved the salsa and chips which were a little different flavor-wise than the usual fare at most places.

Fajitas were excellent as was the Shrimp and Crab Quesadilla entree. Food was not oversalted which is a pet peeve of ours and a pitfall of a lot of Mexican restaurants.

Typically Mexican restaurants are not known for their desserts but this is where this place shines. We thought the Banana was the best, sorry can't remember the exact name but the Vanilla Carmel Crunch Cake was a very close second.

Our waitress was a gem and we over tipped her as she was excellent and personable. Also when we called to make reservations the woman who took our call was really helpful and actually called us back to say she would let us know exactly when our table would be available in the event of any delays. Fortunately none and we walked into a full house with our table waiting.

Loved this place and have decided to try and get there once a month in the summer while we enjoy the beach season.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank daffy2
Voorhees, New Jersey
“Great Cinco Celebration”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Had a great time and meal at El Coyote in Egg Harbor last night. We started with the Guacamole which was a nice size portion and came in a fried tortilla shell. My wife ordered the beef burrito which came out a little cold and my chicken chimichanga was hot right out of the deep fryer. They were both served with refried beans and delicious rice (lettuce,pico,sour cream) on side. It's a byob and they take reservations. Would return and recommend to anyone in or around egg harbor! Located in a small strip mall adjacent to the gulf gas station.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank voltagesls
south jersey
“Pretty decent.”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We live so close to this place and have never been. Decided to give it a try. I called around 6:45pm to find out if they had a wait. The woman said she would take my name and number and call me when a table became available, which I thought was very nice. She called. We went. The place is small. Maybe a 10 tables or a few more. The service was good. Our waitress' name was Marissa and she was sweet. The place was packed, with people coming in for take out and people waiting to be seated.

We ordered sodas then they came out with chips and salsa. Seems like the chips were made there. Pretty good. Two kinds of salsa, a red which was a little hot and some green kind. Both good.

I ordered the pollo chimichangas with mole sauce on the side. The sauce was a dark brownish red sauce. It tasted like spicy barbecue sauce. I didn't care for it. The chimichangas were good. I liked them.
My boyfriend ordered blackened Mahi Mahi tacos with a mango salsa. (ordered hard shells but got soft..but it was no big deal) He liked them.
Both dishes were served with re-fried beans and a orange looking rice. Both good.

We asked to use the bathroom..it was through the kitchen, which was weird. I didn't like that part.

Overall, food was good. We spent $30 not including tip. I'd eat here again. Worth a try.

• Visited March 2012