“OK Place to stay if you get a good price”

E Hotel Banquet & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Like some other reviewers I got a good last minute deal thru Hotwire. The hotel is clearly an ex-Holiday Inn but now in private ownership and apparently better run now than when it was a corporate facility. I got a nice room on the 7th floor - it was clean and everything worked but you can tell it's run on a bit of a tight budget. Just little things - only 24 channels on cable, slap-dash new paint here and there, and bathroom fixtures that are a little worn out but work with a little fiddling. The staff is friendly but a little unprofessional with people hanging out at the desk chatting with their friends, etc. It still has a nice pool and exercise room.

Attached is Harold's New York Deli (or something like that), a restaurant that charges a huge amount of money for one meal that apparently is big enough for 2 or 3 people. Great if you have 2 or 3 people that want to eat the same thing. One person (such as myself), not so great. It's very popular with the locals, it was busy every night I was there. There's lots of good restaurants elsewhere in Edison and Woodbridge and of course a Dunkin Donuts on every corner.

Overall I'd say the place is perfectly fine for a $60 a night hotel. If it was $100 a night, I'd have been pretty unhappy. Oh, and another reviewer is correct - there is an interesting dirt lot next door, looks like a Mafia dumping ground, with bulldozers adding a new section.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MattRMadison_WI
There are newer reviews for E Hotel Banquet & Conference Center

Reviewed August 13, 2011

If all you want is a cheap hotel I guess this will work. But, if you have an expectation of even the most basic level of customer service you really should go elsewhere. I waited 5-10 minutes to check in even though there wasn't a line at check-in. The representative didn't bother to tell me anything about the hotel amenities, pool, gym, etc. When I asked if the hotel served breakfast he said yes, but didn't bother to state that it wasn't included in the price. One of the two elevators was out of service and looked like it had been that way for some time. We weren't really that upset about any of this, but the following day things got worse. The room didn't have hand towels, a bath mat, or a second washcloth (the reservation was for two people). We called to get a second washcloth and were told someone would bring one up. We waited 30-40 minutes. No one came. We called back and were told someone was coming. We waited 10-15 minutes. No one came. We called again and were told someone was on the way up. We waited another 5-10 minutes. Someone showed up with regular towels but no hand towel and no washcloth. Although a supervisor himself, he didn't apologize for the long delay and attempted to leave the towels without saying a word and tried to run off. I had to stop him to let him know that we still needed hand towels and washcloths. He never said one word to me and, after 10 minutes, he did not returned. I called the front desk again and asked for a supervisor. The rep asked what was wrong so I told her. She responded that they didn't have any washcloths available in the entire hotel. Ridiculous. Then I spoke with her supervisor who told me someone was on their way up with washcloths (after having been told 2 minutes prior that there weren't any). At least she bothered to apologize. This has been an important lesson in the value of paying the extra money for a quality hotel. It wasn't disgusting or completely unbearable, but why pay even a small amount for such mediocre service?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ppiper71
Shonila A, Manager at E Hotel Banquet & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2011

Dear ppiper71,

I want to personally thank you for bringing to our attention the problems encountered by you during your stay as this will help us improve our services for all of our valued guests such as yourself.

I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced and for us failing to exceed your expectations.

As always, thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is the only place I will stay if I go back to the area. I went to several other motels and hotels closer to my destination and was disgusted. I had to deal with very rude people and my GPS kept taking me to the wrong places. A lot of the franchises in the area, turned out not to be franchises. Just a note to other travelers you can't access this hotel off of the highway you have to go in to the Raritan Center. The desk staff was busy, like really busy, but check-in was prompt. It was quiet and CLEAN. The bed was really comfortable, the t.v.'s were new, everything was excellent! I stayed in room 904 and it was great!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank xxlady8xx
EdisonHotel M, Manager at E Hotel Banquet & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear xxlady8xx,

Thank you taking time out of your day to post your comments about your recent visit to The Edison Hotel.

We are glad to hear about your great stay.
We wish to see you again should you come around to the Edison, New Jersey area again.

-Edison Hotel Management

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Use hotwire look for 2 1/2 star hotel in Edison/Woodbridge area and I think I got it for 49 or 50 dollars before taxes.. Well worth that.. Not bad, rooms are decent, service was fine, but I just kept to myself and didn't really need anything.. All was fine for me.. Guess they are transitioning to a crown plaza. They got work to do!! But for 60 bux this was more then I expected... Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Keith W
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This must be the only hotel in the world that prides itself on hiding from the public.
First of all....It is NOT The Holiday Inn anymore.
They lost their franchise and they lost their sign. So it's very hard to find them from the main road or even find them when you are right next to the hotel. Their sign is in the back.
Second..They have NO website. Ever hear of a "name" or "quality" hotel without a website?
And there are no photos of the hotel on-line to look at and judge for yourself.
Third...They are nearly impossible to reach by phone. We couldn't find them under The Edison Hotel, nor could we reach them when we called 1-800-HOLIDAY.

After numerous attempts to reach them by phone and driving around in circles, we finally got someone at the hotel to guide us over.
So after all these snafus, we were concerned that we were headed to a real dump.
But, surprisingly, it was a very nice place.
No complaints at all.
A quick and friendly check-in.
They even gave us one of their "recently updated" rooms.
And this was despite the fact that we didn't get there until 10 P.M.
The room was super. Clean, modern, spacious, and quiet.
The only negative was the view from our 7th floor window.
A REAL Dump.. an endless stretch of toxic waste dumps as far as the eye could see.
I swear we saw Tony and Christopher from The Sopranos down there just after dawn, digging a hole and dumping in a large hefty bag of God-knows-what.
So. We recommend this hotel since it was an excellent value at around $75, even without any buffet breakfast.
Just make sure you get a current phone number and perfect directions before you leave to try and find the place.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank longislanderlloyd
Shonila A, Manager at E Hotel Banquet & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2011

Dear Longislanderlloyd,

We thank you for taking the time out to submit your comments.

Correct, we are no longer operating under a Holiday Inn Flag anymore, and since we are no longer a Holiday Inn Flag they wouldn't be able to locate our property.

Our Hotel Front Desk Phone Number remains the same.

As far as not being to find our Hotel, we apologize. We actually have an alternative GPS address you can locate us by, which leads to directly to us.

After all of the "snafus", we are humbled by your great response.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

This is the worst night I have ever spent at a hotel in my life! I was in town for a work function, accompanied by 7 students. Having spent time in this hotel before and received good service, I expected the same on this trip. However, I was sadly mistaken. It all started when one room of my students (4 in all) realized, after returning from dinner, that their bed was bed. They called to get new linens but discovered, after putting on the fresh sheets, that the mattress was wet. I spoke with the gentleman at the front desk to ask something be done about it. He first implied that someone in the room spilled something (not unheard of for a teenager, but nothing had been spilled) then finally said that he'd send up maintenance. I returned to the room to wait for maintenance, but after 45 minutes of waiting, no one came. I called the front desk to let them know that no one had come and the person at the front desk told me that someone in the room said they spilled something. I told them no one spilled anything the mattress and the floor were wet when they returned form dinner. He again accused someone of spilling something, and I insisted that no one had. Finally he said that he'd come up to see the room. A few minutes later, maintenance arrived, felt along the bed but I had to show him the wet spot in the middle. Also I told him about the floor which he seemed unconcerned with. Then he looked up at the ductwork above the bed, flet around it a bit and said that he was going upstairs. He left and after 15 minutes of no word from maintenance, I called the front desk again and asked if we were getting a new mattress. He said that he was moving them to another room and they'd close that one. One disaster resolved! Now for the next!
I went to bed after resolving this issue. I was woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of dripping water. Not unusual when you consider there were terrible rains and wind gusts all night long. However, it occurred to me that the dripping water was coming from within the room. It was then that I discovered that the ceiling in my room was leaking. It was dripping near the bathroom and not on me or my stuff, so I decided to try to get some sleep because I didn't want to have to move in the middle of the night, even if there was a room to be moved to since it was stacked to the hilt with teenagers. I got up early to shower and called the front desk around 7:15 am to make them aware of the leaking ceiling and that I put towels down on the flooded tile and rug. (Thank goodness for flip flops!) The front desk person told me that maintenance wouldn't be in until 8:00 am. Fine, because I was checking out that day anyhow. Upset about the previous night's problems, I went to the front desk to speak with a manager on duty and was told that she wouldn't arrive until 9:00 am. I waited around until then, told her my story, and she promptly apologized and said the 2 rooms would be refunded. Finally, someone handled the situation.

Regardless of the refund, this situation is inexcusable and never should have happened - twice! Hopefully when the hotel makes the transition to the Crown Plaza, the roof will be fixed.

As a side note, the fitness was small and horrible!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank karamela
Reviewed November 11, 2010

The rooms were clean. They were not ready on time for a 4pm check-in. Remote didn't work and we did not have a Do Not Disturb sign, i requested one and did not receive one. But other than that it was okay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business