“The Hotel was Everything we wanted”

Courtyard Edison Woodbridge
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My significant other and I had an incredible week in the hotel. The staff were wonderful, it was beautifully located and convenient to anything we needed. Five minutes to the train for New York, twenty minutes to Newark Airport, food and gas in every direction.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2009

I lived in Manhattan for 12 years 'til moving to Michigan due to husband's work in 2006. My husband lived in Middlesex County NJ (Linden/Newark/Elizabeth) his entire life 'til 2004. We have some family & friends in the area; so we decided to do a last minute trip to NJ for Thanksgiving. This was our 3rd stay at this hotel in the past 18 months or so because we usually like the place. We got a great $$$$$ deal on their website with a AAA discount and all; however after this stay, we will NOT be staying at this Courtyard Marriott again.

My husband and I are NOT picky people, so this Courtyard has always been GREAT for us when visiting the area...usually surpasses our expectations for a budget-type business travel hotel. What has changed???

Pros:
1) Check in & check out were smooth, fast, friendly, easy, efficient. Front desk helpful, not overly friendly but fine. No billing woes or problems;
2) Cleanliness of the hotel was pretty good but not as good as past stays. Shower & bathroom area very clean. Toiletries every day, ample towels, efficient service. Lobby area, common areas, hallways, elevator...not so clean. Some minor debris, dust, lots of scuff marks, wear 'n tear showing...no biggie;
3) Location GREAT...right off of Rte 287, Woodbridge Ave, Amboy Ave. GREAT diner (has changed hands a kazillion times) within walking distance across the street;
4) Parking area really well lit and very safe;
5) HUGE flat screen LG television (made husband happy...I could care less).

Cons:
1) Attention to little details, even BASIC ones was definitely missing. For example...small thing but really annoying...our bed skirt was all rolled & jammed under our mattress from day one (between mattress and box spring)...no skirt on one side, some skirt on another side, lots of skirt (I tripped on it throughout entire stay) on another side. Bed skirt all rolled/stuck/jammed under bed. If I was in better health, ordinarily, I WOULD HAVE FIXED IT MYSELF. This never got addressed. Consequently, our mattress pad and bed sheets didn't fit properly on the mattress, so they constantly slipped off the minute we got on the bed (and during our sleep every night). Bed just couldn't be made properly due to bed skirt. I WOKE UP ON OUR 2ND NIGHT WITH COLOSSAL BACK/NECK PAIN THAT HAS NOT YET SUBSIDED due to sleeping on rolled sheets every night...not good...mattress has seen better days, too;
2) Husband and I VERY VERY VERY CAREFULLY ate a piece of cake on the end of the bed Thanksgiving Night...found crumbs on the carpet and in the bed for the rest of our stay (??????) don't even want to figure that one out;
3) Heating/AC system not great...one of these combo forced air registers...loud, a bit smelly...pushed out tons of COLD air before receiving any hot air at night. Just plain uncomfortable. We couldn't seem to get it right;
3) On our final day, my husband cut his foot on on a shard of glass that was stuck in our carpet...lots of bleeding from his foot...not our glass. I don't think our room was vacuumed very well;
4) MOST DISTURBING!!!!! On our final day, husband and I returned at 12:00 midnight from a visit to find our door propped open with a towel. I got PETRIFIED. Appeared that a maid may have left the door ajar while cleaning and never closed the door...not good. Fortunately, we had ZERO valuables with us and nothing was stolen from our room. WE DIDN"T REPORT IT...WHAT'S THE POINT??? Didn't want to complain;
5) Pool area very very very small, over run with one or two families...no fun...couldn't use it at all...no room;
6) There's a partial bar in the lobby (off to one side) but no one is ever there. I think it is just there to mix drinks for folks who use the eating area (????) never saw anyone eating, either.

Overall, this experience was just not a good one. There are so many hotels in the area in a comparable price range, (Raritan Center, Middlesex Ave, Woodbride, Metuchen, Edison, etc) we will not be staying here ever again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

While the staff was helpful and caring, the pictures and descriptions which appeared on the web were quite deceiving. The exterior shots must have been stock shots as they looked nothing like the hotel. There were no directional signs to the hotel from the turnpike and I spent over an hour trying to locate it.

While the ads touted the room service and on site bar, both are closed on weekends, leaving the out of town traveler to fend for themselves.

Thankfully, the room was comfortable and the staff caring and attentive.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2009

This hotel was not located near my needed city, but was recommended to use instead of hotels closer... And I could see why! This hotel was clean, friendly, close to EWR, had good food, free parking, super kind staff. The rooms were large with good workspace for business travelers. The lobby was clean and well-maintained. My only complaint would be that it is difficult to access from the highway.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Marriott Courtyard in Edison, NJ (3105 Woodbridge Ave, Edison, NJ) is very nice as Courtyards go. The staff is exceptionally friendly, the rooms are clean. This Courtyard has a full bar and restaurant with dinner until 2200, room service 'til 2300. The full bar does not sell draft beer, the burgers are not great, but the club sandwich is pretty good. The location is excellent for visiting businesses in Raritan Center. This is a completely satisfactory hotel for business travel. WiFi is free, no WEP, available in rooms, bar, and restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank terryjgardner
Reviewed June 6, 2009

I have family that lives in the area and I've stayed at the property before. It's a good location for me, the property is well-maintained, the service has always been very good. On weekends I can generally get a very good rate compared with other properties in this class. The diner across the street is pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful seasonal flowers at the front entrance and the welcoming lobby sitting area inside. I was greeted promptly by the front desk staff and check-in was a breeze. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet and the best coffee I've had in a long time. The dining area was comfy and clean and the service couldn't have been better.

Although meals are available on property, there are numerous food options within a 10 minute drive. These include Wegmans market, Panera Bread Bakery, Bonefish Grill, Appleby's, TGI Fridays and Cheesecake Factory.

The location is also about a 10 minute drive from Metro Park where I understand you can park for $5 a day and get a train into Manhattan for about $16 round-trip peak time. I plan to do this on my next visit.

Other hotels aren't even an option. I'm already looking forward to returning to the Courtyard.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edison
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center
Apa Hotel Woodbridge
#2 of 3 in Iselin
Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center
Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel

Been to Courtyard Edison Woodbridge? Share your experiences!